A new world map?

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

KingOfEngland
Sergeant

A new world map?

Post by KingOfEngland »

Can there be a new world map set up with nations of today??? That would be awesome to play as...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

The game engine has a limit of 31 players + the WM.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
KingOfEngland
Sergeant

Post by KingOfEngland »

Well what about one with 31 nations then? Like who needs to add in nations like Fiji? lol. With that and take out other small to unimportant nations in world politics like the Vatican, and many many nations in africa. I bought this game and i do believe many did also to play out the world as it is now. So it sort of makes sense that there should be a map detailed in its current time with some modifications to fit in with the game's engines.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Did you give the world war3 scenario a look.
31 regions,few small ones,some good combinations.Its probably close to what your looking for.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

it would be possible to further modify WW3 to make a new map (WW3 was made from the existing World map) by adding back the world market and making unimportant nations WM territory. That would allow for 31 real nations...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
KingOfEngland
Sergeant

Post by KingOfEngland »

I have a feeling the game needs a world map with as many as nations it can be made with and timed in current era (2010 if you have to, but really what can be changed in 4 years...) Currently the small region maps are fun cuz of the fact that it makes handling easier but players want to be running a nation in the world, not a region like Paris. The game is great with all the units and how it operates, the realism thing is there, and now it needs a map set up like today to give players the chance to handle problems existing in the world today (ie: many condemn Bush for invading and occupying Iraq and all, but then how would you handle it!) Also i am not sure if its already in the game but is there a regime change option? I mean not changing my regime but when i want to invade nations like Iran to stop it from going nuclear, can i just occupy it for a while and then make it into a democracy (sort of like today's nation-building thing) This game has so much potentials!!!
Also there needs some option to stop AI from ruining a perfectly stable games by declaring wars. (i just saw russia warring china and it was followed by japan, india, pakistan, islamic states, indomalaysia etc... which basically ruined the game before i even start doing something!) And then in ww3 map i warred on Iran to stop it from going nuclear which then i got warred on by others, but come on, by a nations like South America lol! Its like if i want to star a war, then i would be fighting with just about every1!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Thanks for all the feedback, much of it has been discussed before but always useful to hear what players would like to see.

For the regime change, there is no such feature. Truth to tell, there is no world model that currently proves it is an effective strategy. It will take years for Iraq and even Afghanistan to show what will come of the outside inflence. It would be exceedingly hard to model without knowing what our target effects are.

At this point a "new World map" would have to come from the community, we have stopped all work on Supreme Ruler 2010 (actually, I've been spending my own free time on the French forums, their community has put together an independant translation of the game with a bit of help from me, but that's off the clock). The information is out there in the mapeditor documentation, mapeditor tutorials and general forum questions. We're also still around (though I think we're taking on average a half day longer to answer) here on the forums so anyone working on independant maps can also ask us questions if they get stumped. The idea of a world map as I described has been around for a long time, I had actually intended to do it myself but made World War 3 instead. If you search for some country names you should find the forum thread about it fairly easily.

And for the AI's ruining their economy through war, it's hard to keep them from declaring war in a wargame ;)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
KingOfEngland
Sergeant

Post by KingOfEngland »

Balthagor wrote:Thanks for all the feedback, much of it has been discussed before but always useful to hear what players would like to see.

For the regime change, there is no such feature. Truth to tell, there is no world model that currently proves it is an effective strategy. It will take years for Iraq and even Afghanistan to show what will come of the outside inflence. It would be exceedingly hard to model without knowing what our target effects are.

At this point a "new World map" would have to come from the community, we have stopped all work on Supreme Ruler 2010 (actually, I've been spending my own free time on the French forums, their community has put together an independant translation of the game with a bit of help from me, but that's off the clock). The information is out there in the mapeditor documentation, mapeditor tutorials and general forum questions. We're also still around (though I think we're taking on average a half day longer to answer) here on the forums so anyone working on independant maps can also ask us questions if they get stumped. The idea of a world map as I described has been around for a long time, I had actually intended to do it myself but made World War 3 instead. If you search for some country names you should find the forum thread about it fairly easily.

And for the AI's ruining their economy through war, it's hard to keep them from declaring war in a wargame ;)
Isn't annexation more difficult than regime change. Its nearly impossible to do any outright annexation in the modern era, regime change has more chance even if it takes longer. That would be the fun part, where the players will have something to do after its enemy military is gone, and it can choose to stay firm or pull out.
Where can i get an editor to make my own map???
Yea it is a war game, but i feel there should be an option to keep AI off of wars. With nations gangbanging on China (5 nations), i feel as if the game has already been ruined before i even make any move. What are the chances of AI calling for peace to end their own wars??? :p
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

AIs will not go to peace with other AIs, that is a limitation of SR2010.

Your comments on annexation are reasonable, if this sort of model comes up in our next project we will certainly keep this in mind (can't give away anything more about the new project yet ;) )

As for the mapeditor, it was included with the first patch. If you have installed the latest updates you should have a shortcut in your start menu within the Supreme Ruler program group.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion”