Unit HUDs

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Legend
General
Human: Yes

Unit HUDs

Post by Legend »

We're looking for design ideas for the unit HUDs.

We would like to make them more intuitive for future engine designs... and design them to make the map less cluttered. Is there any information that you would like to see?

Are there other games where you like the units HUDs? Let us know what you like or don't like so we can create some new designs.
Finbar66
Sergeant

Post by Finbar66 »

Hi Legend - I just got the game yesterday and I have to say well done indeed, theres a lot of hard work and coding gone into this project, and the micro-management aspect is phenominally good.

I'm 39 and have been a strategy gamer for over 20 years, so I hope you understand I'm not just making a casual response.

For the HUD's I have to recommend a few ideas:
I think some players, especially the 'hard core' of strategy vets, would not mind if there was an optional interface - including HUD's-that was less graphically intensive and more 'scientific'. Even a basic text-only HUD with a list of the unit's stats (perhaps colour-coded for land/sea/air values etc.) would be great.
As it is, I find that there is a lot of visual graphical info to process, that can sometimes get in the way of play.

Personally, I'm not too bothered about the 3-D aspect of icons and resource/unit sprites.
For me, it would suit my style of play to have simple, 'official' looking icons.

In summary, I think less is more, and please accept my best wishes for you and the whole Battlegoat team - great game!

Regards,
Chris
Finbar66
Sergeant

Post by Finbar66 »

Suggestion:

I'm not an artist, but the second pic is a general idea.
tonystowe
Colonel

Post by tonystowe »

I don't have time to add an indepth reply, but in short I have seen pie-like graphics applied to military statistics that seem to work rather well for the "quick view" of what a units current capabilities are.

The "Circle" graphic would have a horizontal and vertical line within it that would provide FOUR pieces of information about the unit or group of units.

Inside the circle:
The Upper Left area of the circle could represent on-hand supplies (ammo/Fuel)
The Upper Right area representing strength (personnel)
The Lower Left area representing IN-Supply status
The Lower Right area representing Morale

The colors presenting inside each area of the circle would quickly determine its status:
Green - 90-100% of combat load
Yellow - 50-80% of combat load
Red - 30-50% of combat load
Black - <30 Non-mission Capable - Unable to fight.

The circle represents 100% capability and as each area of the circle changes from Green towards Black it shows the unit(s) lessened capabilities. For instance, if UL is Yellow, UR is Yellow, LL is Red and LR is Yellow then a unit's REAL combat capability would be overall YELLOW or 50-80% - with the one area being Red, I would say closer to 50-65% which would require replacements or pause in its combat plan or whatever.

This is very generalized but it works in real life and could work for your game. Having a lot of these icons on the screen is very unappealing so I recommend a either a hot key to locate lower capable units or a recurring reporting indicating which units are unable to continue its mission.

just my two cents.

Tony

Return to “General Discussion”