Help out a new player, please?

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

nghtmre15
Major

Help out a new player, please?

Post by nghtmre15 »

Hello, all. After finally tracking this game down, it is in the mail on its way to my house. I've been perusing the forums, trying to collect as much information as I can. However, what little I have found is not enough to prepare me without having playing the game already.

I already have the latest update downloaded and ready to go. I know there is another update on the way, so I'm already anticipating that. I've thoroughly read the Wiki. All that remains is to actually get the game and start playing (after reading the manual, of course).

Therefore, I ask you all this. When I get the game, what should I do first? Is there a specific scenario that you suggest? Should I play the tutorials before or after I patch the game (knowing that some patches can break tutorials in other games)? How would you suggest, from your own ample experience, that I best learn how to play?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. It's good to be a part of all of this now, and I'm only a year late. Not too bad, if I say so myself... :D
In a world without sound, dancing... falling... I was snow.
red
General

Post by red »

I'd think most of your questions will probably be related to aspects of the game's engine or rules which aren't clear to the player, as the interface and basic concepts are easy enough to learn. There's a demo available on their website if you like, though it's on the second (versus fourth) patch. Tutorials you could play at any time, the patches generally don't break anything.
onerobot
Warrant Officer

Post by onerobot »

Don't worry, the patches don't break anything.

The best advice i can give when you're starting is to play as a wealthier nation (the US is fairly good in this regard) and to not worry about knowing how to do everything when you first start. Just focus on a couple of departments and make good use of your ministers, and don't worry about the game being in real-time as everything but the combat is fairly slow going at the lower speeds.

The learning curve can be pretty rough, but if you can get the mechnics down you'll find a really intense and strategic game underneath.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

First step : Start the game.Then take the manual,open it up, and proceed to throw it at the nearest cat.(You get bonus points for hittting the cat with an open book)

Step Two: Pick a region you have some knowledge about. Especially in the area of its military platforms .

Step Three: DIVE right in.Enjoy the suprises.Enjoy the newness of the events and the "What the heck moments".
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
nghtmre15
Major

Post by nghtmre15 »

I think I'll take the 50% penalty for hitting a dog instead. There aren't any readily available targets... I mean cats... available.

Well, thanks for the tips so far. Are there any lessons that any of you have learned the hard way, and wish to share? That was really more of what I had in mind when I created the topic, but you wouldn't know it from my first post.
In a world without sound, dancing... falling... I was snow.
Lightbringer
General

Post by Lightbringer »

I learned the hard way....that most of the advice you will read here only really makes sense after you have personally stumbled into the mistake it refers to. :P
Try every crazy idea you can come up with. Some of them will actually work. It won't take too long to figure out what comes naturally to you....and what you need some hints at. :D
Big rich countries at first, so you have plenty of troops and resources to play around with. Then small scenarios to start learning more detailed control without being overwhelmed.
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

nghtmre15 wrote: Are there any lessons that any of you have learned the hard way, and wish to share?
Save..... save a lot... :wink:
NO MORE NOISY FISH [unless they are green & furiously]
I HAVE STILL A FISH IN MY EAR
Eric Larsen
Colonel

Patience

Post by Eric Larsen »

nghtmre15,
Most importantly don't expect to figure out the game right off the bat. Have patience and be prepared to start and restart the same scenario to try different things. The economics will take some time to divine and master but when you do the rest pretty much falls into place.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Il Duce »

A few more suggestions - as noted in various forum notes, this is a complex game with a large learning curve. Pick a 'rich' territory, so that yo udon;t have to fight a crhonic shortage (like petro), play it out to about five years, and then replay it about five times, more slowly and thoughtfully each time. Refer to the forum when you have questions (that is, don't try to absorb all of the forum notes until you have an actual relevant situation).

Although some of the US regions have been recommended, might I suggest a favorite - Western Siberia - as a learning regions. It's Rich, It's Big, and it isn;t usually the target of primary aggression in the early phases of the game. I would avoid scenarios entirely and play into the campaigns instead (I'm not big on the scenarios, although some of them are interesting).

Try to figure out how to achieve a specific effect on each replay - like, the first time around, just watch how things work, replay and try to control DAR, replay and try to romance the WM, replay and try to manipulate allies, replay and try to conquer.

Other than this suggestion, a lot of it depends on your learning style and patience. Allocate a lot of time, and lay in a stash of beer and pretzels (or coffee and chocolate).

By the way, my cat can beat your cat, any day. And she has reserves to call in if necessary.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

:lol: everyone has their advice and opinions in this forum. As for mine. well most of its been said already. US regions are the best ones to start with. Some of the US regions that have small states might be the best. US Carolinas fit here. As for playing the game. U'll end up playing the game the way u like to. U have to learn how to handle the game very slowly. Don't try to beat the campaign in ur first try. After awhile u get how everything is and be able to play any scenario with no trouble.
In war destroy everything even the livestock.
rss0900
Warrant Officer

Explain further "romance the world market" please

Post by rss0900 »

"replay and try to romance the WM". How do you romance the WM, I get the concept behind what this means but what are some of the things you do to accomplish this other than avoiding war with good standing nations?

Return to “General Discussion”