Is Today the Day???

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

bergsjaeger wrote::o U actually put a some what timetable on the update. :lol: everyone will hold u to that now. Course problems in testing might hold up the update. :D sure.
Note, I did say "unless there are some problems. Gotta leave myself an out ;)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

:lol: now that's funny. At least then no one can say "but u said such and such."
In war destroy everything even the livestock.
onerobot
Warrant Officer

Post by onerobot »

Your logic can't work against me, Balthagor! I'm angry and have a sub-par IQ and DEMAND THAT YOU SHUT DOWN THE INTERNET RIGHT NOW.
Uriens wrote:Matrix: Path of Neo?

I know that one had really 'shiny' support by reading user posts in atari forums.
You have to love their policy of rushing games out the door, releasing a half-done patch or two and letting the fans handle the next four. Moo3 and Temple of Elemental Evil, I'm looking at you.
Victarus
Lieutenant

Post by Victarus »

onerobot wrote:Your logic can't work against me, Balthagor! I'm angry and have a sub-par IQ and DEMAND THAT YOU SHUT DOWN THE INTERNET RIGHT NOW.
The scary part is that, if you removed the punctuation and complete words, no-one could tell if you were joking or not. :roll:
onerobot
Warrant Officer

Post by onerobot »

Victarus wrote:The scary part is that, if you removed the punctuation and complete words, no-one could tell if you were joking or not. :roll:
Who says I'm kidding? :P

People like that must have pretty exciting lives, though. Example problem: Bread isn't getting toasted. The sensible answer: The power outage is probably to blame. Their answer: IT IS TOASTER CONSPIRACY.
Eric Larsen
Colonel

Garbage Games

Post by Eric Larsen »

Uriens wrote:Matrix: Path of Neo?

I know that one had really 'shiny' support by reading user posts in atari forums.
Uriens,
More like anything from matrix. Just another ripoff game company that pukes out garbage like there's no tomorrow.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I believe here Matrix refers to the movie franchise, not the game company. AFAIK that is an Atari product.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Eric Larsen
Colonel

Same Result- Garbage

Post by Eric Larsen »

Balthagor wrote:I believe here Matrix refers to the movie franchise, not the game company. AFAIK that is an Atari product.
Chris,
Regardless of whether it's the movie franchise or the game company matrix stinks. I did kind of wonder why Atari would be mentioned as that's somewhat dead decades ago. I sure hope we get some good news today regarding the update and you get some good news regarding the Euro release.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Actually, Atari are still around, they are one of the major game publishing companies (although as I understand it there have been some recent financial concerns about their survival).

Anyway, testing the United States map last night was fun, I got to invade Canada :)

However, some of the changes to the helicopter and aircraft movement isn't quite finished so we're going to miss getting it out this week :oops: Also had a problem with a training that seemed to not complete properly (to Legend's great displeasure as it had cost him 5B$!)

Current timeline is for next week (likely early in the week). As usual, quality first...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Baloogan
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Baloogan »

Balthagor wrote: However, some of the changes to the helicopter and aircraft movement isn't quite finished so we're going to miss getting it out this week :oops: Also had a problem with a training that seemed to not complete properly (to Legend's great displeasure as it had cost him 5B$!)
You mean that the helicopter freezing-in-midair bug is still in?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

what do you mean by "freezing in midair"? I don't know of any such bug...

The helicopters will stop along their path to land and refuel, particularly before trying to cross any body of water, but if we loosen that they will start crashing over the ocean again. That is not a bug, that is a limitation of the helicopter AI to "see" every terrain type around it and understand them all in relation to each other.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Eric Larsen
Colonel

Better AI Movement Needed

Post by Eric Larsen »

Balthagor wrote:what do you mean by "freezing in midair"? I don't know of any such bug...

The helicopters will stop along their path to land and refuel, particularly before trying to cross any body of water, but if we loosen that they will start crashing over the ocean again. That is not a bug, that is a limitation of the helicopter AI to "see" every terrain type around it and understand them all in relation to each other.
Chris,
I've seen some really bad movement by the AI. I was trying to scrap a bunch of units and I left them on AI control with just a scrap order. While most of the units went to bases properly I found that when near water they really got messed up. Units that were closer to a base across deep water would select that base to scrap at even though there were bases a little farther away in distance but with a sure land link between them. I sure hope that the AI movement routines are sharpened up so that they don't pick paths that cross deep water as the AI does not put those units at a pier or port or airfield so some transport unit can take them where they want to go. The AI's need to know when they have an "illegal" movement path and need to be able to skip their first movement idea in favor of looking for legitimate movement paths. If helicopters "know" when they're about to cross water then ground units should have the same capability.

Thanks for the update on the update. Been using the break to do some reading so when the update does come out hopefully next week I won't be burnt out on the game and will be ready and rarin' to go when it does hit the big time. I hope George finds Legend's training problem and can fix it quick as training is something I see as a good thing to do.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Training problem seems to have been a false alarm, checked his savegames and found an explanation, also tested it a few times and all looks fine there.

As for the helicopters, they will still be somewhat stupid. George has discussed this in other places on the forum, I doubt helicopter pathing will be able to get much better, it is as mentioned a limitation that it simply does not know when there is an illegal path and can't find one before it tries to get there.

Most of what we've been working on was changes in the stack/destack for the fact that we're now allowing more planes to remain landed at airbases.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SamuraiGG
Warrant Officer

Post by SamuraiGG »

Hey guys, sorry I've been late to this update talk. I just stumbled upon my SR2010 cd and I decided to check if there were any new patches. One of the major problems I saw in the game was issues with the enemy military/unit AI. It just seemed like the AI wasn't nearly aggressive enough with its units, just sending trickles of them to attack me. Are there going to be any changes to the AI this patch around, and if so, will they be significant?
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

:lol: I wonder if the Devs try to find things to fix just to delay the patch for the fun of it. Course not they wouldn't do that. Sure. I would. :D
In war destroy everything even the livestock.

Return to “General Discussion”