European
55%

Total votes: 22
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Which cover do you like the best?

Post by Legend »

Which Supreme Ruler 2010 cover style do you like the best?

Original

Russia

European

Victarus
Lieutenant

Post by Victarus »

Woah. First vote. Cool. :D

I'm partial to the European myself, although I guess the original is fine too - both nice for their simplicity, although the original is a bit bright as far as I'm concerned.
I don't like the Russian, though. It looks like its an FPS or something, except all the good ones switched to symbols on their boxes (Quake's stylized "Q", the Half-Life Lambda, and Doom's... well, "DooM" logo). If you're going to have a FPS box, at least get with the times and make a cool symbol! :D
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

European...
NO MORE NOISY FISH [unless they are green & furiously]
I HAVE STILL A FISH IN MY EAR
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Im not a big fan of any of them :oops:

If i had to pick one though, id go with the original ONLY becuase it actually shows some of the game on it.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

I voted the Europe one. I like the original but the european one just looks better to me for some reason. :lol: And i have good eyes. Isn't that a Strategy First logo on the European one?
In war destroy everything even the livestock.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

It is, they are the ones who put us in contact with Black Bean.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Legend
General

Post by Legend »

tkobo wrote:Im not a big fan of any of them :oops:

If i had to pick one though, id go with the original ONLY becuase it actually shows some of the game on it.
Do you have any ideas for a better style of box art?
Victarus
Lieutenant

Post by Victarus »

I see two boxart options: Abstract or (for lack of a better term) non-Abstract.
Non-abstract would be a kind of "in character" look at the game - a meeting of a nation's officials, the planning session between military leaders... something that shows the leadership part of running a nation (thus why I don't like the Russian cover - it focuses on the action while there isn't any. This is a strategy title, not an FPS).
Abstract would be something that shows an aspect of the game but without being as direct - the European cover, for instance. Either way works, but it needs to be done well or it looks... well, bad. (Then again, I personally prefer what's in the box to pretty pictures. ;) )
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Well, what id like to see would probably be unpopular,so i wouldnt suggest it.

But, what i like to see on a game box cover is actual game play scenes.

Turn the box sideways and do a long style picture (like letterbox) of an actual, very busy, in game war scene.With little side pictures of the economy screen,diplo screen,military screen etc...,well, surrounding the large war screenshot.

But like i said , i dont think this would be a popular, marketing wise, box.Its just what i would have liked to see.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

tkobo wrote:If i had to pick one though, id go with the original ONLY becuase it actually shows some of the game on it.
Funny... I thought exactly the same but for the European one!
Eric Larsen
Colonel

Unfair Test

Post by Eric Larsen »

George,
When you ask us to rate three pictures please do not favor one picture over the others by making it much larger. Not much surprise that the biggest picture is getting the most votes. Your poll is slanted to give you the answer you want.

I like the orginal cover the best as it has elements of the game in it. The Russian one looks kind of cool with the picture of a soldier and a Mobile Recon truck. But the European cover just plain sucks as it looks like some boring ad for a pro wrestling match. Two guys staring each other down and there's this big rip in the middle covering their eyes. I think sometimes the original is the best and that trying to think up better stuff just leads to worse stuff.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen
Victarus
Lieutenant

Re: Unfair Test

Post by Victarus »

Eric Larsen wrote:When you ask us to rate three pictures please do not favor one picture over the others by making it much larger. Not much surprise that the biggest picture is getting the most votes. Your poll is slanted to give you the answer you want.
...feeling paranoid? :-?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Unfair Test

Post by Balthagor »

Eric Larsen wrote:George,
When you ask us to rate three pictures please do not favor one picture over the others by making it much larger. Not much surprise that the biggest picture is getting the most votes. Your poll is slanted to give you the answer you want...
FYI Legend is Daxon, not George.

And we do not have a preference (I personally prefer the original), I would expect those are the sizes he found each of the images when he grabbed them from the web. There is no secret hidden agenda going on here...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Legend
General

Post by Legend »

Is that better? I resized the big one.

We are not putting this up here to get people to buy into one design or another. We want to know what people think... the vote is only part of the invaluable information you'll provide us by commenting on one or more covers.

We are also NOT "trying to think up better stuff". All covers were designed by outside sources, though our publisher and distributors and we want to know what you think of them.
onerobot
Warrant Officer

Post by onerobot »

I voted for the original, but I like the European version nearly as well - just for different reasons. The original earns a lot of points for being distictive and original, but the European is more stylish and makes it easier to tell what the game is about at a glance.

A compromise would be ideal. I like the faceless leaders of different cultures idea as it really conveys the variety and scale of the game (the original's focus on equipment makes it seem way too local - like an RTS), and it combined with the logo and icons of the original would be a step in the right direction.

edit: The wallpaper in the Artificial Wisdom thread seems to do just that. Is there a larger version up for downloading anywhere?

Return to “General Discussion”