Future Supreme Ruler 2010 development

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Kriegsspieler
Captain

Post by Kriegsspieler »

Well, I was a beta for HOI2, so you can take what I say here for what it's worth! :wink:

I am not in favor of Battlegoat going after a WWII sim. I think HOI2 is a damned fine game -- not as good as Battlegoat would likely do in the economic aspects, but better in the strictly military/battle aspects than SR2010. In any case, I would rather see George and the boys go after a game of Great Power imperialism that would begin in the late 19th cent, extend through WWI and finish before the current game. That would permit an interesting range of technological options, colonial ventures and so forth. It could include WWII, but not be as centered on it as is HOI2.
Otto
Sergeant

Post by Otto »

Regarding imperial/colonial times, I think that the Imperialisms (I & II) still do it admirably. They are great games, and likely cost next to nothing these days. I really like the idea of WWI or 4x. The reason for the first is that WWI is given so little coverage, often because people discount the strategic depth of the combat, much like people disparage the fighting between lines of the 18th Century. In fact, WWI could have a great deal of interesting strategic gameplay.

4x for the simple reason that developers seem to believe that in the future, there will be no economy, or at least one that is essentially just a simple "you have 20k minerals from mines, you can maintain a fleet of y size" kind of thing. I would love to see a system fall, and the economy of the sector crumble because of it, even if the system didn't have the factories, but was simply a trade route. To watch as hyperinflation caused instability and unrest in my enemy as I used my economic might to fool with his currency. (Oh yeah, allow for multipe types of currency, it would be great). Or see as his subjects revolted because my blockade of one of his hi-tech systems caused a shortage of medical supplies reaching 30 stars. I think there would be a lot of potential for an economically deep 4x game.
Ils ne passeront pas -Marshal Petain
Bluesman
Lt. Colonel

Post by Bluesman »

Personally I like the economic/research model in HOI2 but the strategic "AI" is not good (reportedly being through a major overhaul so we'll see).

As for SR2010. My vote goes for Cold War. Haven't seen a good game on that subject since Balance of Power. However if they do that then there definatelly must be provisions for supporting guerilla groups in other countries and more indepht diplomacy (sr2010:s weakest spot right now).

BM
Kriegsspieler
Captain

Post by Kriegsspieler »

Bluesman wrote:Personally I like the economic/research model in HOI2 but the strategic "AI" is not good (reportedly being through a major overhaul so we'll see).
It just had a new update released with improved a.i. Still a work in progress, though, as these things always are!
Bluesman wrote:As for SR2010. My vote goes for Cold War. Haven't seen a good game on that subject since Balance of Power. However if they do that then there definatelly must be provisions for supporting guerilla groups in other countries and more indepht diplomacy (sr2010:s weakest spot right now).
BM
Forget what I said above about 19th-c imperialism! A Cold War sim gets my vote, too! It could start in 1945 and end in ??
Great idea!
spiritofatlantis
Lieutenant

Post by spiritofatlantis »

I think part of the reason SR is becoming or has become so popular so fast is because it's situated in the present day and a little beyond that.
It's the only game in this time period that i know of that actually makes it interesting to play.
There's alot of competition on the WW2 genre, take your pick.
But the zeitgeist of today hasn't been exploited yet in these kind of games.
This to my opinion is the strength of SR....it's the only game i could find that combined HOI and RTS elements in a present day world.
So i'd like to see an evolution of SR2010.
WWI, WWII and the Cold War can all be modded, as is the case with HOI.
Bluesman
Lt. Colonel

Post by Bluesman »

Kriegspieler:I mean the reported new stuff for 1.3 :)

Well, the competition among Cold War games is slim too :). Does Shadow President count?

Nevertheless i support further developements on the current theme too. Not any Sci Fi stuff though(well at least nothing extreme).

BM
MJD
Corporal

Post by MJD »

Legend wrote:We have already talked about a WWII version as a possible future project based on our current engine with some tweaks of course. We'll see what the future brings.
Perfect but i feel a medieval transformation whit real country's fighting it out is very nice but for BG sake WWII type mod first is wonderful :D
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

An ancient greece/rome version of SR2010 could be pretty cool.
Tophat
Lieutenant

Post by Tophat »

spiritofatlantis wrote:I think part of the reason SR is becoming or has become so popular so fast is because it's situated in the present day and a little beyond that.
It's the only game in this time period that i know of that actually makes it interesting to play.
There's alot of competition on the WW2 genre, take your pick.
But the zeitgeist of today hasn't been exploited yet in these kind of games.
This to my opinion is the strength of SR....it's the only game i could find that combined HOI and RTS elements in a present day world.
So i'd like to see an evolution of SR2010.
WWI, WWII and the Cold War can all be modded, as is the case with HOI.
I think you have hit it on the head here.......its "current time" appeal is what is so compelling.
Janster01
Warrant Officer

Post by Janster01 »

Paradox Victoria does model WW 1 in ways.

Victoria does however start much earlier, and is in ways far more complex than Supreme Ruler, however it is also difficult to play and confusing, like MOO3 :(

Janster
rhjyyz
Major

Post by rhjyyz »

I hope the games' sequel (if there is one to be created) should expand on the base it has built. Please.. there are a jillion WWII games,fancy scenarios ,campaigns...... No more!!!.
Expand the modern day idea, implement missing features (AI being able to do what the human can), add religions, more political parties,add commodities products, etc.... real world stuff!!!
Look at some of the good things in Superpower 1 and 2, even a few concepts of the Civ series...... I think many people don't realize this is as much as a geo-political/economic sim as it is a military one..

Ease up on the military micro,tweaking this and that.....mines,missles,add this unit,add that unit,blah,blah... I believe the military stuff is mostly in place (Just have to get the AI's heart in the game!!!).

The graphics,GUI work well, don't mess with it.., and most of all,don't change the stability of the game,as I have found it to be virtually bug free,in fact it has never CTD on my system, in the full 2weeks of many playing hours, just a lock up or two upon loads/saves. ANyway thats my 2 cents worth.

Return to “General Discussion”