Lag

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

NiknudStunod
Sergeant

Lag

Post by NiknudStunod »

I have been playing in the russian campaign and all I can say is lag. I have a pretty good gaming machine recently upgraded and the slowdown is still very noticeable. At one point last night I had over 1500 units moving at the same time and the only way I could do anything was to move my cursor off screen. There has to be some way to combat this problem.
indoguando
Sergeant

Post by indoguando »

get a better processor, videocard, and more ram!! That usually solves any problem related with lag.
NiknudStunod
Sergeant

Post by NiknudStunod »

indoguando wrote:get a better processor, videocard, and more ram!! That usually solves any problem related with lag.
Did you read my thread? I have over a gig of ram, 128 mb video card and a amd 3000+ processor. So I doubt the problem is on my end. I can play lag free in games like WoW, DaoC and planetside I should be able to play lag free in this.
Baloogan
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Baloogan »

Well aside from multiplayer I get almost no slowdown except in the world map.
NiknudStunod
Sergeant

Post by NiknudStunod »

I don't know what caused it but it only happened when I was moving my troops to attack. I had over 1500 troops moving at once. In fact once I mobilized my army I went for 9,884m to almost 3,500m in the red when I finally took the capital I was shooting for which was only about 45 days later.
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

Well 1500 units is a LOT of units, and when they're on the move I'm betting there's a lot to check each time period...
indoguando
Sergeant

Post by indoguando »

NiknudStunod wrote:
indoguando wrote:get a better processor, videocard, and more ram!! That usually solves any problem related with lag.
Did you read my thread? I have over a gig of ram, 128 mb video card and a amd 3000+ processor. So I doubt the problem is on my end. I can play lag free in games like WoW, DaoC and planetside I should be able to play lag free in this.
No where in your post did it say your specs, so dont begin to assume i'm can telopathicly read your mind from who knows how far away. Besides one mans dream machine is another mans junk. the amount of troops your moving around creats a lot of processing, there must be a bottleneck somewhere to be creating the lag.
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

does this happen more often at day end? If so, check your settings for the save game frequency. If the file is large it could slow things down too.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Another thing you can try is use <Ctrl-M> to mute the sound. We have experienced some problems with sound processing. I believe it is resolved however it is worth retesting.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
NiknudStunod
Sergeant

Post by NiknudStunod »

indoguando wrote:
NiknudStunod wrote:
No where in your post did it say your specs, so dont begin to assume i'm can telopathicly read your mind from who knows how far away. Besides one mans dream machine is another mans junk. the amount of troops your moving around creats a lot of processing, there must be a bottleneck somewhere to be creating the lag.
I said I had a pretty good gaming machine I thought that was clear when I posted. It was the reason I in fact made that statement. It will take me a while to build up that ammount of troops again I just wish I saved the game at some point. I will try the sound thing if it happens again.

Edit: I hope it isn't a sound problem since I never installed a sound card. The sound card that is on my motherboard is better then a lot of cards out there.
maddog7667
Lieutenant

Post by maddog7667 »

iv noticed lag as well but only on the world map. my spec, dfi infiniti, mobile xp2500@ 2.2ghz, 1 GB ddr550 corsair pc4400c25, ati9800 pro, 80 GB maxtor 8MB cache 120GB samsung 2mb cache for storage the game is stored on the maxtor HD, 480W enermax power supply. this is when i had 1500 units give or take, but other then that the game runs well :P. i was playing north america demo govt, complete victory, i forgot to mention
this i running 9x240fsb to give 2.2ghz around 3.7gb/s for my fsb bandwidth. betther then the 3gb/s that you get stock at 200fsb.
Last edited by maddog7667 on May 26 2005, edited 1 time in total.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

We do know that the world map (which is quite large) starts to bog down a bit on slower systems, though the performance of it can be improved by cutting back some of the graphics settings. And, as mentioned, some systems have shown issues with the end-of-day autosave, and also in rare cases with the sound (though sound driver updates sometimes fix this).

So here's some things to try:

- In Options/Graphics, switch to 16 Bit Graphics resolution. Outside of the startup splash screens it's hard to notice the difference, and it may improve performance.

- In Options/Graphics, select "Show only top units in stacks". This improves performance by reducing the draw of multi-unit stacks.

- In Options/Sound, mute the sound to see if this is a factor (also CTRL-M toggles it in game). Note that on some OS configuration this will also reset your Windows "WAV" sound volume for your system.

- IF the lag only happens 'once a day' at midnight, go to Options/Player Options/Files and change the Autosave frequency settings (ie 7 for once a week). Though I think this now defaults to '7' after the first update.

For Update 2 we'll also add one more setting which will reduce the resolution of unit graphics slightly, this also has varying levels of effect depending upon the system.

Your specs sound like more than enough, but we've had different configs result in more/less performance than one would expect.

-- George.
hithere
Captain

Post by hithere »

also, if you web surf, you may want to run a anti-spyware program. also, there are some sites out there that you can use to disable all the junk extras that windows has that homeusers don't use. i used to get on "blackviper" but i guess that is gone now.

if you have already this, nevermind
hi there
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

I'm experiencing a bit of lag too on the France Map and I have a 512mb graphics card :o :o :o and a 1gb of ram and a (Bit crap compared to rest) 1800mhz Athlon processor...

I was thinking this game might not be compatable with my Graphics card..

As I can run Bothers in Arms in full graphics (Full Everything!)

And Half-Life 2 with everything (but only on 1024*768)

Even Counter-Strike Source online with everything...

I'm very Confused... :evil:
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
Paolo
Lieutenant

Post by Paolo »

Hi, all!

Sorry, but can you explain the exact conditions that trigger the "WAV" sound volume to zero? It happened to me yesterday evening, playing demo (France scenario, with Barcelona) and listening a CD through Windows Media Player. I play on a laptop: P4 2,66GHz, 512MB RAM, 40GB hard disk, 64MB ATI9000 graphic card, WinXP SP1. And also I was running the SETI client (even if it almost stops when the game runs!). For now, with quite few units around, I can't see any lag.

Return to “General Discussion”