Organizing Units

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Fantnet
Major

Post by Fantnet »

I understand the organazation of units from a army stand point, what ways can you organize units such as airplanes and ships? Like groups or fleets, squadrons or airwings or Airforces? Do you allow organizing units to groups like expedtionary forces?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I'm not sure I understand the question. I'm not very familiar with real world troop organization. We allow any unit (battalion, ship, squadron) to be "attached" to any other units. You could make your Infantry AMX-10P the regimental leader and attach a Leclerc Tank, a GCT Self Propelled Howitzer and 2 squadrons of Mirage 2000s to the the AMX-10P. Ths would allow you to select any of the units to give the unit an order or to give the unit's regiment an order. Same idea works for attaching regiments to divisional leaders and for divisions to corps. This allows the player to create combined arms forces in the way they chose and move them as a unit.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fantnet
Major

Post by Fantnet »

What about Ships how will they be organized?
Groups and Fleets?
What about Airplanes?
Squadrons, Air Wings and numbered Airforces?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Ships; Task Groups and Task Forces
Jets; Groups and Wings

We may still use the Regiment and Division names though to keep it simple. Not sure yet.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fantnet
Major

Post by Fantnet »

Should use those names for more realism, but for the army those other names should be used.

thanks for you time.
XeroMan
Lt. Colonel

Post by XeroMan »

It would be kinda cool to name a group of tanks a "Fist", a group of artillery a "Hammer" and a group of fighters a "Swarm". But your names work for me! :grin:
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

It would be kinda cool to name a group of tanks a "Fist", a group of artillery a "Hammer" and a group of fighters a "Swarm". But your names work for me!
If you happen to have a particular desire for your own names, you'll be able to edit the language INI file and change them to whatever you like. These are 'local-only' names, so even in a multiplayer game you could use a different naming set than the other players.

So yes, you'll be able to use a Fist of Tanks if you really want to :smile:

-- George.
XeroMan
Lt. Colonel

Post by XeroMan »

Cool! I appreciate the freedom.
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

On 2002-09-11 08:50, Balthagor wrote:
Ships; Task Groups and Task Forces
Jets; Groups and Wings

We may still use the Regiment and Division names though to keep it simple. Not sure yet.
Well the Soviets/Communist Bloc nations call their air units squadrons, regiments, divisions and air armies.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I still think that yes, we should use the same names for same sizes. I realise that may not be "real world", but it's easily understood by both the novice and expert players alike...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion”