Copyrights - Modding - Translation

What is the world like in 2020? What are the different ways to play? How can I create my own futuristic scenario and country groupings?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Premislaus
Corporal

Copyrights - Modding - Translation

Post by Premislaus »

Hi. I am trying to establish a Polish Supreme Ruler fan-community. I came to a conclusion, that a Polish version of Supreme Ruler 2020 would bring more interest among both those who have never played the Supreme Ruler series, and those who, just like I, enjoyed playing the previous game from the series (Supreme Ruler 2010).
I have contacted some of the gamers I met on the Internet, who declared willingness to cooperate. Moreover, I also managed to establish a sub-forum dedicated to SR series within an Internet forum (dedicated to the Europa Universalis series by paradox interactive) that cooperate with as a moderator, where I published my user-made amendment (patch) for the Polish version of Supreme Ruler 2010.
In addtion I would like to inquire about the Licence and copyrights issues such as:

1. Wheather or not, I am allowed to make and publish (via the Internet) a user-made Polish translation of the game Supreme ruler 2020, for as far as I know there is no Polish publisher fort his title.
2. Wheatther or not, I am allowed to change the font, since it lacks some Polish characters.
3. In case I ever wanted to mod the game, which game files in particular could be modified.
4. I found windows registry modifing files in one of the directories of the game (in the Registry folder to be precise). Am I allowed to, if needed, create a file modifing the key registry of the game?
5. Wheather or not, I Am allowed to translate the user’s manual into Polish and publish it as a .pdf file.
6. Do I have to contact you, the authors of the game, or Paradox Interactive, the European publisher, 1.n order to solve all of the above?

As for point 3, I would like to ask, wheather it is possible for you to provide a game font containing Polish characters (either within a patch or in seperate files) in case my idea has recieved your approval. This would significanly improve our translating efforts.

These are the mentioned characters - Polish code pages

Sub-forum in www.eufi.org - http://forum.eufi.org/forumdisplay.php?f=460

I am looking forward to hearing from you!

Premislaus
I'm sorry for my english. I'm just student....
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Re: Copyrights - Modding - Translation

Post by Legend »

Premislaus wrote:Hi. I am trying to establish a Polish Supreme Ruler fan-community. I came to a conclusion, that a Polish version of Supreme Ruler 2020 would bring more interest among both those who have never played the Supreme Ruler series, and those who, just like I, enjoyed playing the previous game from the series (Supreme Ruler 2010).
I have contacted some of the gamers I met on the Internet, who declared willingness to cooperate. Moreover, I also managed to establish a sub-forum dedicated to SR series within an Internet forum (dedicated to the Europa Universalis series by paradox interactive) that cooperate with as a moderator, where I published my user-made amendment (patch) for the Polish version of Supreme Ruler 2010.
In addtion I would like to inquire about the Licence and copyrights issues such as:

1. Wheather or not, I am allowed to make and publish (via the Internet) a user-made Polish translation of the game Supreme ruler 2020, for as far as I know there is no Polish publisher for his title.
Currently there are two places that the digital download is available - Gamer's Gate and battlegoat.ztorm.com.

Additional download sites are not likely to be accepted by our publisher. But, with that said, it's up to you if you wish to make contact with them.

As for selling boxed copies, retail stores must contact distributors and purchase games for resale that way.
2. Wheatther or not, I am allowed to change the font, since it lacks some Polish characters.
Yes you can change the font for SR2020. You can use the font sheets from 2010 to compare placement of Polish fonts for 2020. There is also a font assignment page to enter font widths. More info to mod this may be made available in the future.
3. In case I ever wanted to mod the game, which game files in particular could be modified.
The game is very moddable. However I can't possibly mention all the ways it can be modded. We are working on some modding details and will make them available as we complete them. Do you have any particular ways you want to mod the game?
4. I found windows registry modifing files in one of the directories of the game (in the Registry folder to be precise). Am I allowed to, if needed, create a file modifing the key registry of the game?
Yes. You can mod the game anyway you see fit. Mods need to be made to work with a purchased copy of the game.
5. Wheather or not, I Am allowed to translate the user’s manual into Polish and publish it as a .pdf file.
Yes, you can translate the user's manual.
6. Do I have to contact you, the authors of the game, or Paradox Interactive, the European publisher, 1.n order to solve all of the above?

As for point 3, I would like to ask, wheather it is possible for you to provide a game font containing Polish characters (either within a patch or in seperate files) in case my idea has recieved your approval. This would significanly improve our translating efforts.
At this point we are not ready to spend time on providing new Polish font sheets. We could possibly spend some time in assisting you in creation of font sheets that could help. Do you have the ability to do some graphics work with font sheets?
These are the mentioned characters - Polish code pages

Sub-forum in www.eufi.org - http://forum.eufi.org/forumdisplay.php?f=460

I am looking forward to hearing from you!

Premislaus
We are glad to see your interest in the game and in making a mod.
What I can currently say is that you can't just make a mod, then sell the game. (which I'm sure you were not thinking). What I would suggest is to contact GamersGate/Paradox and inquire into a reseller program. I don't know if they have one but you could inquire. Also you could look into many other referrer programs through Amazon or other resellers of the boxed version of the game. So you could continue to grow your Polish community, make your mod and possibly refer people to buy the game some where that would allow you to make a referrer fee... and then point the player to your Polish mod. These are just suggestions for now.

Do you have any further questions?
Last edited by Legend on Jul 03 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Premislaus
Corporal

Post by Premislaus »

Hi
I Am writing on the behalf of Premislaus. Since I am the one responsible for translating his post into English, I feel obliged explain some matters concerning his attempts.
First of all, Premislus does not want to get involved in any reselling of the game. He only wants to create a user-made mod similar to this: http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8229
I am sincerly sorry for the misunderstanding caused, by my rusty English.
The mod would require the original game, that the gamer has to buy. He only wanted to know if he can make such a fan-made mod.
Do you have the ability to do some graphics work with font sheets?
As for the font sheets, Premislaus mentioned that he still tries to find people willing to create Polish fonts, however, expresses his willingness to l learn how to do it.

With regards

Baribal22
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

Ok. I do understand now.

Yes, your friend can make any mod he wants. And he can put it online for people who own the game to download and try. In fact, he could make mention of it on our Supreme Wiki when he is done. If you have any questions let us know. And your English is just fine!
Premislaus
Corporal

Post by Premislaus »

At this point we are not ready to spend time on providing new Polish font sheets. We could possibly spend some time in assisting you in creation of font sheets that could help. Do you have the ability to do some graphics work with font sheets?
By which way, it means with use which program to add polish diacritic marks to the font? I tried all sort of programs and, writing nothing in short from it, didn't way. Friend suggested to do it "by hand" and at the moment left for it with around one letter, but it is laborious. Can I get some advices or any instruction about this topic? Or I must wait, until an article about it will turn up on Supremewiki?

Premislaus

Return to “Scenarios, Mods and More - 2020”