stealth destroyers,frigates and cruisers ?

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

will these be in the game ?
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Maybe they'll be in the game but you just won't know they are there :smile:
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

okay, that WAS funny.

Minister of Defense: Yes Mr President,we did build them.I can even show you the budget approval and cost overuns.We simply couldnt find them AFTER we built them, still cant !
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Minister of Defense: Yes Mr President,we did build them.I can even show you the budget approval and cost overuns.We simply couldnt find them AFTER we built them, still cant !
That sounds too much like how the American (& Canadian) governments already operate!

Back to the original question, I thought that our equipment guy Chris might have an answer for you, but he hasn't chipped in yet. I know we talked about stealth naval units at one point (something about taking the unit out of that James Bond movie from a few years ago); I imagine once the naval units side of our equipment list gets fleshed out we'll have a few of these as future development items.

-- George.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Well since George insists,

I haven't commented on this because I'm not sure if they will be in or not...

I've begun some research to see if it there are any comments of such equipment being in testing and my first thought is that yes, they will be. If you have a specific unit in mind, please post the details.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

I know at least the destroyer and the frigate type already exist and are being tested at sea right now.
I have a jpg of the frigate as the background on my desktop right now.
It shows the ship approaching what I believe is that big bridge in california,by San Deigo.The screenshot is from the info/advertising section of the building company.The name escapes me at the moment ( I am really horrible with names and numbers,in case you didnt figure this out yet),but i will find the site and put up a link.i think its lockheed, but not sure.The name is Sea shadow,I can read the word sea in the screenshot but not the second name.However I do know from a navy article that Sea Shadow is indeed one of the names of one of the stealth ships being tested right now.Aparrantly this ship has been used as a platform to test stealth tech in ships for about 8 years now.

Also their competitor Northrop was just awarded the contract for the dd-21 or dd-x depending on who's article you read,this ship is a stealth destroyer.

Ill put a few articles I know of up right now.

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/6547/ ... _build.htm

http://www.canit.se/~griffon/diverse/mi ... ships.html

http://www.techtv.com/news/specialrepor ... 67,00.html

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Apr2002 ... 04303.html

http://www.mediacen.navy.mil/pubs/allha ... 1/pg26.htm

I'll put some more articles up as i come across them.

Sea Lance = stealth cruiser
Corsair = stealth carrier -oddly enough this proposed ship will be very small and carry only about 6 f-35 Joint Strike Fighters.Theres even word that this carrier type will be towed by otherships,only using its own power for combat manuveering and launching of aircraft.
Both of these ships were recently reported on by MSNBC news.
I'll look for a link on these also.Heres one.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/546846.asp?cp1=1

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tkobo on 2002-06-18 01:35 ]</font>
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Thank you very much for the information. Based on what you've given us I can now say for sure that Stealth ships will be included. If you have any more info, feel free to post it and I will keep looking into it. Our goal with the game is to include any current day equipment that is widely used or will offer a significant impact to the future of warfare.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Wow, it turns out the Sea Lance already exists, in testing form at least.
Found this site this morning,it has actaul photo's of the ship.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/

This site also seems to have some great tech info and pics on alot of other ships including the sea shadow.
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

Talking about stealth..

What about submarines?
How and by what unit can they be detected?
Will they be able to change their depth,this might decrease the range in which they can be detected,as well as their own line of sight.

Besides I think that stealth would also look good on infantry units like special forces.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We do incorporate stealth issues but as yet there has been no call for a stealth submarine. If one exists, please send details. As far as what can detect a sub, really, anything can... if it's in the right place. Spotting ranges are compared to unit profile and subs would have a very low profile. As far as changing deapth, each time slice consists of a full day passing. I'm sure the sub surfaces and submerges a few times, but it is assumed that all units fire at optimum ranges and positions.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

I took a look at the info on the 'Sea Shadow', and I can't think of any use for a ship like this that couldn't be better done by a submarine...
Seems like a sitting stealthy duck, if you ask me...
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Got to disagree with you big time on that.
Stealth attack ships will be far harder to spot and attack than subs.They will also have a better defense against attack.
They will add a whole new dimension to naval combat.
Currently its very easy to spot and engage ships.Suprise hit and run raids are almost impossible in naval combat.
BUT add in ships that have serious stealth tech and that all changes.
You will now have ships that can travel in a task force undetected,hiding among the other ships,then it can break from the task force sprint in attack and then just disappear agian on its way out.
With the advent of stealth tech in ships,the long stand-off naval engagements of past decades will no longer be the norm.
No longer will aircraft be able to find,count and catagorize the contents of a task force from a safe distance.
Stealth tech is as important if not more for ships than it is for aircraft.Many nations already understand this,and those that can afford the tech are building stealth ships.
And they ,like those who can afford the stealth tech in aircraft, will have a serious advantage on the field of battle.

I am of course talking about the effect these ships will have in the real world.
I can see where in your game they might not bring much new to the table due to how your combat system is designed.

I guess I'll have to wait for harpoon 4 to really play with/explore the new dimensions such ships will bring to the battles.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

One question I have not solved yet, do these ships maintain the ability for ranged land attacks or are they strictly ship to ship weapons...?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

I dont know for certain,I wish i did.
But most of what Ive read seems to point to missile primary offense.
Unlike naval big guns,missiles can use a bay oriented setup without losing any of thier punch/targeting or greatly hampering the ship's stealth.

Missiles can however be a very potent force against both sea and land targets.

So although we really dont know for sure,Id say the stealth ships would use stand off attacks like cruise missiles to destroy land targets.Much the way its already done by their none stealth brethren(sp).

On a side note,some of the european stealth ship designs do indeed show naval guns.However these ships are not as stealth oriented as the U.S. stealth destroyer,frigate ,cruiser,and carrier designs Ive seen.
It may well be that we will see many variations of stealth design in ships til one or more are seen to show the most effective combination.
XeroMan
Lt. Colonel

Post by XeroMan »

I read an article ages ago on the sea shadow, and they stated that it would be entirely a missile platform, with surface to surface and surface to air missiles. The ability to have a stealthy platform for launching cruise missiles would be nice, but in all honesty, why not use a sub? Stealth defeats radar and to a lesser extent visual detection, and a sub has those licked already.

On edit:
You just have to include the Halifax class frigate, the pride & joy of the mightest navy in the world!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XeroMan on 2002-09-08 15:00 ]</font>

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”