Playing Supreme Ruler 2020 Multiplayer Games

Put all your MP game discussions right here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Hundane
General

Re: Playing Supreme Ruler 2020 Multiplayer Games

Post by Hundane »

* if you see a user who's name is italicized, that means that GameRanger has determined it cannot connect you to that player.
Thats good info to know right there, I noticed this on a few players on that test but did not know thats what it meant.
dragons310
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Post by dragons310 »

I've had issues getting multiplayer games working, and may have come across the reason...I forget where you mentioned it Balthagor, but you said the game uses directplay. Wikipedia had this to say about directplay...

"
Wikipedia.org wrote: However, as part of Microsoft's unveiling of XNA in 2004, Microsoft revealed that DirectPlay would be deprecated in favor of Games for Windows - Live technology already available on Xbox and being ported for use on Windows PCs. DirectPlay will be supported in DirectX DLLs for the lifetime of Microsoft Windows XP, but from the autumn of 2007 [2] the headers and libraries — vital components if developers wanted to develop new programs that utilize the technology — were absent from DirectX SDK.

In Windows Vista, DirectPlay has been deprecated and DirectPlay Voice and DirectPlay's NAT Helper have been removed.
something worth looking into?
GR #558857
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We're aware of all of that but we included all the required DirectPlay components.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
confused-in-IL
Private

Post by confused-in-IL »

As you can tell from my name I am extremely confused. I have global crisis and 2020 on my computer and I have been trying to play a Lan game with my brother yet every time I try to host the game its doesnt work. Is Gold not compatible with GC in multiplayer? Can anyone help?
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

confused-in-IL wrote:As you can tell from my name I am extremely confused. I have global crisis and 2020 on my computer and I have been trying to play a Lan game with my brother yet every time I try to host the game its doesnt work. Is Gold not compatible with GC in multiplayer? Can anyone help?
check these
1. Are you really in a LAN?
2. Gold should be compatible with GC & 2020, or?
3. Do you have a router that supports LAN, or do you use something else(eg. a switch/hub)?
3.1 if so that LAN play is from hardvare part ok, then check your workgroups, so that both are in the same work group.
3.2 check your firewall/anti-virus settings, I have experience with Windows Firewall causing problems.
4. I have some times experienced problems when playing with different Operating systems(especially Vista can be stubborn to get to work).
5. check other setting.
6. when one is hosting and the game does not pop up in the lobby, try the ip option and type in your brothers LAN ip(run->type 'cmd'->ipconfig)

If you don't get it to work in native LAN, then there is other options
1. Make a VLAN(Virtual LAN) network with Hamachi
2. Try using GameRanger, a good tool to get multiplayer to work.
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
mund5421
Warrant Officer

Post by mund5421 »

When I go to multiplayer it never stops loading or doesnt have anything posted.why?
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

New issue with gameranger that has plagued me for a couple of weeks now. When I click on start gameranger I get the following;

"No response from GameRanger server. There was no response after contacting the GameRanger server"

Anyone have any idea what that is about? All other internet and computer functions work fine. I cannot even open the Gameranger web page since I get the same error notice. So no posting on theie forum since it appears to be something special/odd about that forum, starting with the address. gr://forum and a popup asking me if I want to allow this to open on my compute. Never seen that before, but at anyrate even if I click allow, all I get is a page that indicates "logging into GameRanger" and nothing happens. Bottom of page show DONE.

This only started 2 weeks or so ago, prior to that I was able to use GR for almost a year. No updates or changes to my machine except the MS updates for Win 7.

Any suggestions/Ideas?
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

I just tried it, havent opened up GR in quite awhile and got a new update but connected just fine. Maybe you got a corrupted update.

Have you tried to uninstall/install ?
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice, still no joy. It appears like it may be random since a few hours after I posted above it worked again. But I sure would like to figure out why it started doing this.

Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Have you IE9 isntalled? Gameranger wont work with IE9-Flash for me, I have to have IE8 installed for that :(, but I bet it will see change soon.
Happy Linux user!
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Ie8, same one I had when I started using GR, nothing changed on that end. I tried several times today to connect to GR, no luck. I then deleted GR from my system, clicked on download from their website and tried to reinstall it. I get the same message/error that I typed in a post above, after clicking INSTALL. Now I cannot even install it.

And since you cannot even see the support forums without GR being installed I am unable to ask for help or even contact the GR guy. There is no contact info listed on website. No e-mail address, nothing.

I know that at one time he was posting on these forums, hopefully he might see this. I am out of ideas and would hate to throw away a year long game. :(

VT90
Corporal

Post by VT90 »

This may be random but what is the minimum speed required by multi-player games??
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

I think any speed goes, but if you have all players have fast computers, but one of those players have a slow connection, then the hole game might get slower. The slower the internet the slower the game runs, the same goes for computers.
Happy Linux user!
VT90
Corporal

Post by VT90 »

Thanks, but I can not get it to work with game ranger, any-one know the ports that you have to forward for Supreme Ruler??
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

You do not have to forward any, GR does it all for you. But, there are issues if you use a router in some cases. Just bypass router.

Yes
Modem>computer

No
Modem>router>computer

Return to “Multiplayer Games”