Combat Resolution

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tinjaw
Warrant Officer

Post by tinjaw »

[Better settle in and put on a fresh pot of coffee. I think this thread might take a while.]

As a grognard who understands the benefits of combined arms warfare I have a gazillion questions. I will start with the most basic.

"How does SR2010 resolve combat when multiple units are involved on both sides?"

For example, as a learned armchair general I might have 2 INF Bn., 1 ARM Bn., and 1 AT Bn. in a hex. In the adjacent hex I have 1 AA Bn. and 1 ART Bn. How would this work if the hex was attacked by a) 1 ARM Bn. b) 1 INF Bn. c) 1 ARM Bn. and 1 INF Bn. d) etc.

[hmmmm. Based on your answers I may have some ideas about creating an object/unit that has both the properties of a transport unit and a hex to tackle the hierarchy issue.]
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

I think this guy should be in the beta ^^^^^^ :smile:
Empier4552
General

Post by Empier4552 »

Ditto he's posted several good posts that i've read. Hopefully he's on the list maybe getting bumped up on it hehe.
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

I think he has been added.
herr neumann
Captain

Post by herr neumann »

:smile: you just gotta smile what kind of 'brotherly' attitude this forum has. Older ones helping newcomers into beta..hehe
tinjaw
Warrant Officer

Post by tinjaw »

[bump]

I am still very interested in getting this info.
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

There are several rules for stacked units. For instance, consider a stack of artillery with one tank also in the same hex. If enemy units come in contact with this stack, the tanks engage to protect the artillery. (Artillery, Anti Air, and Supply Trucks die real quick if they're not protected!) If you have multiple units attacking this stack, then they are all engaging the tank until it is either destroyed or retreats. The longer the tank battalion holds, the more of a chance the other units can retreat out of harms way.

If on the other hand you flank the hex and are able to attack the stack from multiple directions at once, whichever unit attacked first will have engaged the tank battalion, but the flankers should immediately be able to get at the Artillery units.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

In addition, there are also a number of other guidelines for how attacks are resolved. In general, each unit will get a 'fire slot' based on its initiative. (Units with higher initiative will fire more often than those with low initiative. For example, rocket artillery and long-range anti-air tend to have very low initiative, tanks are relatively high, etc.)

Each unit will then select a target that it can be most effective against (noting the 'layered defense' stack restrictions that David mentioned above).

Certain units like Anti-Tank and Artillery also suffer a penalty for firing while moving. As well, when units first get into range of each other (assuming equal ranges), the defending unit will get 'first shot'.

Supression also plays a role - units under fire, especially artillery fire, will receive short-term supression that will reduce their attack strength (though not affect their defense values).

-- George.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”