the auto supply system uses the supplies of a given territor

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

My government has been remiss,they "forgot" to buy extra fuel this year for the campaign ahead.Of course that new estate the minister of oil just bought had NOTHING to do with the "forgotton" /"missing" oil or the missplaced funds for it :smile:

However,now that we have no fuel to supply our front line troops with,will our autosupply fail to provide it as it should ?

Also if our minister of supply has a misunderstanding of what our minister of the army said about WHERE his troops would be,and this leads to a blockage of supplies trying to reach our troops by the enemy,do we actaully lose any supplies or are they just sent back to the stockpiles?

Our minister of supply was curious about this .Oddly enough he's looking to buy a new estate also :smile:

All the kings men aside,I would be for a loss of supplies if the unit they were headed for is cut off.
It would be fair if the first supply shipment after a unit is cut off is lost to enemy fire.
This would put a fair penalty supply wise on allowing your troops to be cut off .
Whatever supplies that unit would have used normally are still lost from the stockplies,they just dont reach the unit and are simply lost.

Back to the kings men for a sec.Will the ministers have a chance of misusing funds ?
This would make a life-like and fun event game wise.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Two answer the second point, I don't think government corruption will play a big role - an inefficient government and economy will take a production hit, but 'inefficiency' is the closest way that we would simulate corruption.

Regarding the supply issue, there have been discussions here about just how we will be handling the automatic supply issue. An example might be to look at New Zealand - it is made up of two islands; what if you don't control the seas between the islands? Where are your stockpiles located - north or south?

The problem with micro-tracking the supplies is that it could also get confusing to the players, so to some extent we have to make compromises. I believe our current design is that once you have a base or supply depot on the second island, your second island is "in supply" and has full access to your stockpiles.

So, in effect, a unit can be supplied as long as it is in a line of supply to ANY of your bases, and "mis-directed supplies" to the wrong front is not an issue.

That being said, we may actually be able to tweak this a bit if we track a supply level per base/depot; for instance, each base could receive stocks from the 'central stockpile' at x units per day, to a maximum; if the entire army is located on the north island and drawing supplies from a single base, that base would 'expend' its personal stock and only receive new shipments from central stockpile at the per day rate, meaning the armies in that area would run low on resupply. This would increase the importance of planning logistics by building forward supply depots, or using special supply units.

-- George.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

If a supply type facility is surrounded by enemy forces does it still issue supplies ?

is this "f" unit cut off from supply ?

-x-
xfx
-x-

Is this "f" unit cut off from supply ?

---sb--

x-x-x-x
---f---

sb = supply base
x = enemy
f = friendly
- = empty hex

arrghhhh,the forum is making things left margin oriented !

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tkobo on 2002-09-06 08:04 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tkobo on 2002-09-06 08:07 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tkobo on 2002-09-06 08:08 ]</font>
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

If there is no "Controlled" path to a unit from a supply depot, military base, or city, it is cut off from automatic re-supply. In which case it would then have to have supply trucks resupply it, supplies airdropped, or if on a shoreline, a cargo ship drop in for a visit.

As well, the further away a unit is from a supply source, the lower percentage of re-supplies it gets.
- David
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

Oh yeah...

To go through a "Friendly" to re-supply one of your units, there would have to be a specific treaty in place.
- David
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Hmm, i dont think I understand the answer.

When you say "path" you are talking about any access no matter how many turns it must make ,how many enemy units it must go around or how convoluted it is ?

Also I don't see the answer to my base question.
Is it possible to stop supplies at the point of origin instead of at the destination ?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Simple answer, yes, you can cut it off at the source. As far as a twisting and turning supply route, it does break down, but not due to the strangness of the path. If there are enemy units between my unit and the base, the supply "path" cannot pass through those hexes. If the "path" can go around the units, I am still in a supply path. However, if I am 8 hexes from my supply base but the "path" now has to cover 15 hexes to get around the enemy, I will get the percentage resupply as if I was 15 hexes away, so, much lower (perhaps none) per turn. We have not yet figured out at what percentage per hex away the supply lines degrade. Does this cover everything?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

You have to think of it in context of the whole map and borders and such with "BORDERS" being the key...

If you have taken over a pocket within an enemy region and there is no complete path back to any supply source, (through territory you or an ally owns) then you have been effectively "Cut off" from supply whether you are immediately surrounded by enemy units or not. In cases like this, a supply vehicle will have to make it to you through hostile territory to resupply your unit.

If instead you are pocketed in a hex but there is a base, or supply depot, or city within it, (all of which are supply sources), even if you are immediately surrounded by enemy troops, you will still be receiving some supply from this source.

Does that help? I know it is difficult to grasp without seeing it on the map, but trust me it should work great!

Example 1 - Not cut off from supply

xxBxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxx0000000
xxxx0000000000
xxxxxxx0000000
000xxxxx000000
000000xxxxx000
00000000xxAx00

(there is a path through your controlled territory from a supply source to your unit)

Example 2 - Cut off from supply

xxBxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxx0000000
xxxx0000000000
xxxxxxx0000000
000000xxxxx000
00000000xxAx00

(no path from supply source to unit)

Example 3 - Not cut off from supply

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxx0000000
000000AB000000
(assume A and B are on your territory "x"'s)

x - Your territory
0 - Enemy territory
A - Your Unit
B - Closest Supply Source

As you can see, it is irrelevant WHERE an enemy's units are except on whether they've taken territory to cut you off.
- David
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Great,thanks I think i get it now.If i do understand it correctly it looks very good.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”