French aircraft in service

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I'm not sure if we should include the Super Etendard as it is an older model and likley to be out of service by 2010. Anyone know if it is a major part of the French Air Force?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

And on the same idea, what about the FMA IA 58A Pucara?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

One more, A-7 Corsair. Starting at 2010 I'm not sure any countries will still be using this unit.
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

The Super Etendard is to be replaced by the Rafale, I think. I'm fairly sure that the only jet aircraft the French Navy will have by 2010 is the Rafale.

Oh, here we go:
The Super-Etendard will be replaced by the naval version of the multi-role combat aircraft Rafale at the beginning of the 21st century.
From FAS.org
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

As for the A-7, I think only Portugal and Greece were overseas customers. If anyone still flies it, which I doubt, it would be those two. All the American A-7s were retired in the early 90s. I'd bet buttons to bullets that Portugal and Greece retired their A-7s in favor of French Mirages or the EF2000.

Upon some web searching, I could find no confirmation that either country still flew A-7s or that either of them had retired them. By 2010, however, I think it would be a safe assumption that the Corsairs had been replaced. I doubt anyone would fault you on that.

Same for the Pucara - no mention of it being retired. It will be a 35 year old design by 2010, but the B-52 will be 60 years old in comparison. It's likely, especially with Argentina suffering so badly from its econimic crisis, that the Pucara will be retained in service for many years to come.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hellfish6 on 2002-08-19 20:52 ]</font>

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”