Equipment Spreadsheats

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

prime_642
Captain

Post by prime_642 »

I was looking at the tank spreadsheet and i noticed that there is a tank named "M-01 Migdal" And it is stronger than both proposed FCS tanks. What is the "Migdal"? And why is it more powerful than the FCS?

In addition, why is the Israeli Merkova 5 stronger than the M1A5 Abrams? Since the US currently makes the best tanks in the world (with competition from France and Germany) or, if you dispute that statement, it at least puts the most money into tank research. Therefore, why should an Israel get a more advanced tank than the US?

Also, why is the French tank line suddenly discontinued? What i mean by this is that every current tank in production has a "successor" As in the M1A5 Abrams to the M1A2, The Leapord 3A to the Leapord 1A4, the Merkova 5 to the Merkova 3, the Challanger 4 to the Challanger 2, the various Russian tanks, the chinese copies of the various russian tanks, etc. But the Leclerc series only goes to 2 and stops. Is the gaulois tank a successor? If so, why is it significantly weaker than it's competitors?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

The Migdal that you see there is a future Israeli tank. This is pulled entirely from my imagination. It is as strong as it is for two reasons;

1. The future units have not been balance tested at all
2. The Merkava is marked stronger than an equivalent M1 tank

And yes, that last is on purpose. The Merkava is one of the best tank designs in the world today and some people actually feel it is the best design out there. I have no idea if it is or not, but decided for the game it would be. Somewhat arbitrary, but that’s what you get when you’re a designer :smile:

The French line of tanks dies out for two reasons.

1. The French do not seem to be currently pursuing new versions of the Leclerc
2. Not all future units are in the game yet.

I don’t think I will be adding future Leclercs to the list however. Every region goes through gaps where a certain design sees little improvement. There will be a different “Future” tank that French regions will be able to research. The Gaulois is a fictional Belgian tank I put in originally thinking the story would be that the Belgian arms industry managed to get France to order new Gaulois tanks to replace the Leclercs but I haven’t reviewed it’s stats yet so am not surprised to hear that it is not as good as some of the other units.

When it comes to some of the future stuff, it will get designed on our whims. We are putting tons of realism into the game, but at some point the storyline needs to take priority. We won’t see a final decision on this till later.
prime_642
Captain

Post by prime_642 »

Thank you very much for your prompt answer
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

No problem...

No comments?
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

"And yes, that last is on purpose. The Merkava is one of the best tank designs in the world today and some people actually feel it is the best design out there. I have no idea if it is or not, but decided for the game it would be."

One of the strongest points of the Merkava design is that these tanks are armoured on all sides,including the roof.
But this of course also decreases the mobillity of the tank as there is far more.
And more armour also should be heavily reflected by the costs.

Because of its throughout protection the tank should be quite well protected in urban combat since attacking infantry units dont find any suitable weak spot to attack.
The same is true for air attacks,many aircraft use the tanks roof as a weakpoint.
In game terms the close combat defense and air defense values should be a level higher than that of other tanks.

How well it does against other tanks is a little tougher to say since this depends on the cannon and fire controll system.
And Im unsure how they compare to other systems.
Technically the cannon can fire 120mmm rounds but if this does mean that the accuracy and power is maintaned over a long range is harder to say.
And I would say it would be somwhat tough for this tanks to outflank the enemy tanks,and this is essential unless your cannon is so powerfull that it can blow through the front hull or turret armour (the most fortified on all tanks).

Besides the tanks should also be significantly slower than other tanks,and its quite good to see that already reflected in the game :smile:

All in all this tanks is well desinged to do a certain job:
Guard a small territory and see that no one gets past it.

But due to its decreased mobillity and hefty costs Im not sure if thats the tank I want to use to roll through Russia.
Mobillity is essential for tank combat.

BTW
What about the Leopard series?
I see the Leopard 3 but Im sure that there will be even more prototypes of that Line.
The Leopard line has been quite successfull so far.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Juergen on 2004-05-03 12:04 ]</font>
prime_642
Captain

Post by prime_642 »

Yes, bout the leapord, what is it's "top tier" successor? What tank does germany get that matches up to the FCS/Migdal class of tanks?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Hasn't been "imagined" up yet. I've been working on the real units an what fictional units we already have first. I suppose I could have a Leopard 4 but I may find a new name and start a new line there.
herr neumann
Captain

Post by herr neumann »

They had Tigers, now Leopard. How about "Jaguar"?
They also had "Maus", so how about plain ol' "Katze" (Cat) :smile:

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”