Time

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

JT
Corporal

Post by JT »

Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but what is your target time for finishing a scenario or campaign? (real-world time glued to the computer).

Another subject- As far as "game-time" goes... I read the background of the game and the lead-up to the start of the game. By what year should you achieve world domination? Is the timeline fairly fixed or can someone drag this out for 300 years?
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

Scenarios, scenarios, and more scenarios! Now that most of the design has been implemented (and George is busy programming it), the biggest task that remains to us is all the scenarios we've plotted (a campaign is just a collection of scenarios).

There are around 70 scenarios that will be shipped with the game. Typically a campaign will take you through about six to eight.

As for how much time to take over the world... in game years we expect it to be around 10-20. One of the premises of the game is that the world does want to be united and is just looking for the right person. With that in mind, we have to keep the "Game Time" down to one individual's career.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I just noticed that David actually missed the real question. How long will it take the player to win/lose a scenario on average? We estimate 1-3 hours depending on the conditions (which scenario, what options, how long I have pity on George before crushing him...) and the campaigns are usually 10-12 scenarios. We will also support loses in a campaign. If you decide to start your conquest in Africa, make it half way and loose, you would then be sent back to a world map with Africa greyed out and would have to start from somewhere else. However the campaign continues. This could extend your campaign. At the same time, our campaign tree says that if you start in Africa, your next conquest is Europe, then the world. But we are thinking of having an option to go for the world once you have Africa. This would cut about 7 scenarios out of your campaign and "fast track" you to the World scenario. This would definitely shorten the time involved (and perhaps decrease your success...)

Also, I need to correct David on the time span for a campaign. We estimate 2-6 years per scenario, multiply by the number of scenarios in the campaign.
Mojo
Warrant Officer

Post by Mojo »

Just a suggestion,but I think that the logical progression for the player who conquered Africa would be the Middle East, not Europe. This, no doubt due the vast oil resources the Mid-East. With these resources, an ivasion of the rest of Eurasia could be facilitated.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

There may actually be a very wide difference in 'glued to the screen' play time between different scenarios. Not just map-size, but factors such as the amount of build-up required, the amount of resources you start with, etc, could make quite a difference.

I wouldn't be surprised if more serious scenarios and the larger maps take up to 10 hours of play time. Possibly even longer depending upon player speed, since in single player mode the game can be slowed or paused at any time.

-- George.
JT
Corporal

Post by JT »

Thanks for the quick response. It sounds great. Good play time and some different options to choose from. Most importantly, enough time to actually enjoy all the details you guys are putting into this. Can't wait... good luck with finishing it off!

Return to “General Discussion”