Naval weapons

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I'm trying to fill in the data for the North Korean Najin Frigates and they list in ASW weapons the 5-barrel RBU 1200 ASW rocket launchers. Can anyone tell me the range on these rockets or send me some data? I can't seem to find out how close they have to get to the sub to fire.

Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

The range is about 0,8 nautical miles.

http://web.nps.navy.mil/~brutzman/Savag ... WS_ASW.doc

Just download the file,you will also find many other RBUs.
prime_642
Captain

Post by prime_642 »

Just wondering, I know this doesn't correspond to the intent of this thread, but about the Iowa class battleships, i think that the were extensively refitted in the 1970s or so. (i don't know the exact year or date) They were fitted with tomahawk cruise missiles, radar, and all kinds of high tech goodies. I think that the tech level on the class should be a bit higher. Or, make two versions of it and have one be the non-upgraded one.

Also, incidently, will you be simulating mothballed equipment? the USS Missourri (and at least three other battleships of it's class) are all mothballed, i think one of the class is even a museum. Will you be simulating this by placing them in the reserves of the region they are currently in?

And what about shut down air force bases? Whoever lives in the region should be able to easily reactivate them, same goes for naval and army bases.
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

I think two of the Iowa-class battleships have been totally decommissioned and turned into museums. One is in Galveston, I think and the other maybe at Pearl Harbor(?). They don't have working armament, electronics or engines anymore. The other two are mothballed, though, and I think it would be fun to have them make a resurgence 70 years after they were made.

The problem with shut down bases, IMHO, is that they are very quickly developed. I know the old Glenview Naval Air Station and Fort Sheridan in Chicago have both been rapidly demilitarized into shopping centers and condos. Same with Fort Ord in California - when I was there it was all getting turned into civillian housing. So theoretically we can go in there and clear out the dirty civillians, but it would probably be easier to just confiscate a field somewhere and start over again.
prime_642
Captain

Post by prime_642 »

But still, shouldn't the existing battleships, at least the mothballed ones, be simulated in the game? They would be great units to use against even modern Arleigh Burke destroyers. 16 inch shells can tear apart anything, not to mention shore bombardment..
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

For the battleships, we did intend to put the two into reserve somewhere on the East coast. Probably Pensilvanya since that's where they are stored.

As for decommisioned bases, we assume that the time in getting them back up and running is about the same as building from scratch so often omit them. It really depends on what the person doing the map choses or finds when they do the research.
Obiwan McCartney
Corporal

Post by Obiwan McCartney »

Currently the Wisconsin is open to limited public access but is being kept battle ready by navy personnel in Virginia. The Missouri is a more full-blown museum at Pearl Harbor but is also kept ready for service if need be, though it might take 1-4 years depending on how many modernizations/money is spent. New Jersey is a museum in New Jersey in much the same readiness as the Missouri. The Iowa is currently in Rhode Island but will be going to San Francisco this year as a limited museum like the Wisconsin, Iowa now is technically "reserve" status, ie. more battle ready than the rest. It would also be worth mentioning that in the case of a catastrophic cataclysm, some of the other more recent battleships of the North Carolina and South Dakota class that are memorials could, with a huge amount of money and some time(lots more than the Iowa class by a LARGE margin), be brought back, though as far as I know, that is not anyone's intention.
prime_642
Captain

Post by prime_642 »

So that makes at least four battleships ready to be brought back into service in a year? Perhaps a dozen more in two years? i've visited a battleship museam in Texas, can't seem to remember the name, unfortunately. I think it was the Battleship USS Texas. As far as i know, it floats and isn't propped up by sticks. Those ship's can provide a lot of firepower against Ticonderoga class cruisers, and Arleigh Burke class destroyers...
Obiwan McCartney
Corporal

This is true, however, it would cost more to reactivate and modernize the Missouri than it would to build an Arliegh Burke from scratch, alot worse for the older ships.
prime_642
Captain

Post by prime_642 »

But wouldn't you consider an upgraded battleship to be a lot more powerful than an arleigh burke? What can 5 inch guns do against a battleship's armour before being blown apart by 16 inch guns?
Obiwan McCartney
Corporal

Hell yeah, I'm a battleship advocate all the way, my favorite ships, just giving the low down, so that they will have an idea on how to impliment them for the game
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Thanks for the info. Should be fun using the battleships in the game; in a test game last night I won a naval battle only to lose most of my destroyers to air-launched anti-ship missiles. Something a little more resistant to such missiles will be interesting to try :smile:

-- George.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”