The Look of on-map Upgrades

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

This has already gone through some discussion on the 'map clutter' thread, and is also the topic of some of our developer diaries and our web site postings, but I would like to get some additional feedback...

Right now, we still use relatively 'symbolic' icons to represent upgrades (factories, mines, etc). We went from simple icon symbols to 3D objects recently. For instance, our current oil field upgrade is:
We have, on purpose, made the objects somewhat basic and brightly coloured, to be easy to see on the map. It has been suggested, however, that we should use more 'realistic' graphics instead; oil wells should be rusty coloured, factories should look like real factory buildings, etc.

This would, however, make them look less obvious on the map, though it would make the map display look 'prettier'.

Thoughts?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: George Geczy on 2002-07-07 22:36 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: George Geczy on 2002-07-07 22:36 ]</font>
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

I would prefer something that is easy to see. Brightly coloured suits me fine. If I can tell (at a glance) that I have an oil well (and not mistake it for a farm or something else) then that is all I need. After all, it's an icon.

Although it might be extra work, could you have 2 sets of icons, selectable by the player so those that want photorealistic graphics could have them?
harley9699
Sergeant

Post by harley9699 »

Right now, we still use relatively 'symbolic' icons to represent upgrades (factories, mines, etc). We went from simple icon symbols to 3D objects recently. For instance, our current oil field upgrade is:

We have, on purpose, made the objects somewhat basic and brightly coloured, to be easy to see on the map. It has been suggested, however, that we should use more 'realistic' graphics instead; oil wells should be rusty coloured, factories should look like real factory buildings, etc.

This would, however, make them look less obvious on the map, though it would make the map display look 'prettier'.

Thoughts?
Basic and brightly colored is perfectly fine. Main concern is telling them apart.

Wouldn't more 'realistic' tax the system more as well? Get so tired of new games coming out that almost require a new machine to get them! It's bad enough that they require directx upgrades (that MS never gets right, doesn't test, releases prematurely and buggy, etc. but, I won't rant on that here!) Some of us can't afford a new machine every time a new game comes out that we want :smile: They're also just fine being symbolic and not animated for the same reasons. Especially if everything's going to be moving all the time.
Have been paying MAJOR attention to the TBS vs. RTS thread!
Reddemon
Lieutenant

Post by Reddemon »

I would have to agree with harley. Go for the simple and the most direct route. Also I see that the Oil field icon shows two oil barrel does that mean its the second upgrade? Instead of making bigger Icon or more icon just use the same icon and show what lvl they are by the extra oil barrel or extra ore meaning if i have a mine at lvl 3 then i should be able to see 3 ores on the icon that would make it alot easier in my opinion. Also i have another wish but i will put that in the Wish list thread :smile:
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

On 2002-07-08 07:10, Reddemon wrote:
...I see that the Oil field icon shows two oil barrel does that mean its the second upgrade?...
No, there is no "level" to an industry. The difference in output from one factory to another is purely the capacity it has been built at such as 63% or 24%. It is always a percentage. We offer filters for the map so you can say "where am I producing oil?" and the filter shows oil production with an overlaid red filter. An area covered in red is producing a large amount and an area with a slight reddish tinge is producing a small amount. This allows you at a glance to see where your production is coming from. The same filters can be used to show resource deposits so you can look for a coal rich area on which to place your coal mine.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Reddemon
Lieutenant

Post by Reddemon »

I understand now, I think.

Return to “General Discussion”