Experience?

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

I like the idea of peacekeeping/hearts and minds training. Call it civil affairs. Or maybe make a military police unit that has those kinds of benefits naturally.
Hunter41
Sergeant

Post by Hunter41 »

NBC training should be consolidated into one training package. It would simplify gameplay, and be more realistic.
Shutzen
Warrant Officer

Post by Shutzen »

One note about unit training and specialization. US military units do a great deal of "specialized training". "4 score and 7 years ago", when I was in the 82nd Abn Div., we did desert warfare training. Where? Ft. Irwin California. The next year, we did Jungle training at Ft. Sherman Panama. Other units who do arctic training... Alaska, Ft. Drum, etc. The point I'm trying to make is that in order to get trained in a particular environment, you have to either already be in that environment or go there and train.

Can this/ will this be a factor in the game? In the beginning of the game, for example, if I am controlling Ohio, how can I possibly train my troops in Jungle warfare? Just a thought. I think it would be much more realistic to require the state/ conuntry being played to have a region where the environment matches the intended specialization or for the player to have an agreement with another state/ country that does (to allow the unit to "go there and train"). It might be too much of a pain for you guys to make all the distinctions by region. But, it was the first thought that came to mind reading the above posts. Thanks~
Hellfish6
Lt. Colonel

Post by Hellfish6 »

Yeah... he has a point.
Redshadow
Lieutenant

Post by Redshadow »

Well...I definately like the idea. Could add a lot of depth to the gameplay...

On the other hand...it would also be difficult (or at least annoying) to implement. Of course, im not a programmer so I might be wrong.

Just seems that you would have to deal with the fact that your nation expands, so you would have to program the game so that once a certain type of terrain is taken over that that sort of specialized training will become availible. And if that wasn't difficult enough, you would have to find a way to deal with those pesky enviromentalist demanding that your Marines not train on the beech with the endangered birds. :wink:

If it is, however, easy to impliment, by all means please do.

~Red
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

When units are "In Specialized Training", they disappear from the map (essentially they go back into reserves for the length of their training and then come back out). So you could say that they've travelled to appropriate terrain for their training and then we don't have to actually worry about what base they are at.

I don't think this is an unreasonable shortcut to satisfying the proper perception. Also, if you decide you need the troops out of training early, the training benefit is lost (if not complete) and it does take a day or two for them to come out of reserve status. That simulates them travelling back to the base they started at!
Redshadow
Lieutenant

Post by Redshadow »

Sounds quite acceptable to me.

~Red
Hunter41
Sergeant

Post by Hunter41 »

Is there a way to upgrade an existing unit to a new piece of kit, for example from Leo 2 to Leo 3 so that the unit's experience, name, etc. can be retained? I haven't found that capability in the Beta, but I hope it is a feature that will be implemented. Ideally, it would be cheaper to upgrade a unit than build a new one too!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Yes it is possible but currently unimplimented. If you have a leopard 2A3 and research the 2A5 you will find that in the popup of any 2A3 you have will be a button allowing you to send the unit to be upgraded. There is a cost attached and they use a slot at a base while upgrading btw.
Hunter41
Sergeant

Post by Hunter41 »

To take this a step further, will this upgrade feature enable my unit to upgrade to an entirely new fleet, for example from Stingray 1 to Challenger 2?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

That, we don't support. We don't do the poeple's general idea of upgrading to anything.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”