Natural Occurances

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Empier4552
General

Post by Empier4552 »

Hey, not sure if this was discussed some place else, if so just ignore this thread.

However if its not, how do natural occurances factor in? As TK mentioned sim city in one of his posts I guess this relates some waht to it. With tornados and such taking place. Will forested/dry areas have a probablilty of wildfires (Colorado anyone?).

And perhaps places like Florida and such chances of hurricanes happening.

Regions having droughts etc. This'd probably become a direct contributor to the state of ones economy and political rating, not to mention it'd force players to think about more then just military action but also take time and spread out funds for other things such as disaster relief agencies perhaps.
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

The Design does allow for Natural Disasters. In fact in the map editor you can designate whether territory is in an Earthquake zone. To be honest though, I'm not sure these factors will make the final cut. There is a question of whether people like "Random" factors screwing up their game :smile:
- David
lemmy
Sergeant

Post by lemmy »

YES!!
random factors are good, no more linear growth, and real leadership would be needed to overcome a disaster...but don't make them too severe, one must be able to survive it to keep the game fun :smile:

Or maybe increase the severity, or chance of a disaster slightly if you are a lot bigger then the others, to even things out a bit.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

As part of the development team, I am one of those who dislikes "random" events. I find they are generally more annoying than anything else. I would like to hear reasons why people like random events so I can better understand how they would help the game play.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Im for random events,as long as they make sense and are in realistic proportions.
By realistic proportions I mean no one event can cripple a region.

It probably would be best if they were included as an option,like in se4,were you can set if they can occur and how bad they can be.
Empier4552
General

Post by Empier4552 »

On 2002-06-19 14:23, tkobo wrote:

It probably would be best if they were included as an option,like in se4,were you can set if they can occur and how bad they can be.
Agreed. I believe in the Sim City games they are also optional? And there yuo could even START a natural disaster- which was just as fun :wink: I'd say put it into thefinal cut or at the very least beta as an option to turn on/off in preferences, perhaps to make it more appealing a severity level Ex

Natural Disasters-
Off
Rare
Moderate (normal rate)
Frequent
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Though I also do not like random events, the idea of allowing them as an option would be the best way to handle it.

Though the design does allow "weather" as a "soft" random event - weather will have an effect on movement, supply use, agri harvest, freezing rivers, etc. There are, however, some issues with implementing weather on larger maps (clearly it is not winter in North America and Australia at the same time, among other things).

Natural disasters that are planned are limited to earthquakes and 'atmospheric' (hurricane/tornado/cyclone/typhoon) events.

-- George.
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

Have natural events as options. In fact, have lots of options so that players can better select the type of game they want.

Also, have a level of severity option. That's where earthquakes (for example) might have some slight production disruption (on light setting) to massive destruction of a city and severe production loss (on severe).

Or you can set natural events to off...if you want.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

The use of Earthquakes and Hurricanes will definitely be a selectable option - some people like the challenge of unexpected events, while others sometimes argue about the fairness of it all (of course, as I often say, 'life isn't fair'...)

I suppose we'll even allow weather to be turned off or on, though the default will definitely be 'on' as weather effects are not so drastic (drought or long winter storms may be the exception, though).

I recall the nice thing about the desert scenarios in SSI's Panzer General was that you could generally expect your planes to be unencumbered by rain or snow days :smile:

-- George.
harley9699
Sergeant

Post by harley9699 »

Everything being optional is a great idea! Agree with having tons of options.
One of the things that make games even more replayable is the ability to alter the same basic setup.
All the same scenario:
Play it "bland",
Weather cranked up,
Disasters cranked up,
Both.
Night effects on or off, etc.
This is Especially true for a game that works off of scenarios (as opposed to Random maps).
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Hate to disappoint you, however there will be no day/night changes as the smallest time slice in the game is one day.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
harley9699
Sergeant

Post by harley9699 »

That's ok. Was just re-enforcing replayability and mostly the importance of having loads of options :smile: Night's not that important.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

the importance of having loads of options
Around here, when we can't agree if a feature should change or not, we usually end up just making it an option to do it both ways :smile: Saves arguing about it!

-- George.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Natural disasters was dropped also right ?
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Yes, still on our notes as possible for gold edition.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion”