Game locking up

Find support, discuss issues, report in game bugs found here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Game locking up

Post by 3iff »

Re-installed the game and added update 3.

Playing Paris in France game as single player. Everything went smoothly for quite a while then late in the game I got the return (experienced in pre update 3) of the hard lockup (requiring a hard boot).

Now I reload the game from the autosave, play for a short while and get it again. It's extremely annoying but as I see very few mentions of this on the forum, I suspect it might be my system contributing to the problem. It 'seems' to be graphics related as it often occurs when I open a window or scroll over to another area but it's not instantly repeatable and there's no pattern to the lockups.

W98SE and 512Mb memory. I don't get any problems with other games/applications so I doubt that it's due to faulty memory...

Any ideas or suggestions?
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Very mysterious - we certainly have not seen any lockup issues in a long time. We do not, however, have extensive testing on Windows 98.

Back before our initial release I know we had a few cases of rare lockups in Windows 98 listed, but they were generally related either to multiplayer games (Microsoft Directplay issues) or quirky sound drivers. But even those were extremely rare, and after release we did not get any further reports of similar problems.

So without doing something drastic like upgrading to XP, it's hard to make a specific suggestion. I would make sure you have the latest versions of DirectX and the latest sound drivers for your sound card, but beyond that it gets a bit hard...

-- George.
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

Thought as much...trust me to be unique...

I'll certainly check drivers (again). I would run without sound but I find the noises help in alerting me to things going on. Maybe I can try that as an experiment.

If I discover the cause I shall report back. Thanks for your time.
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

Further to this problem...

I tried a small scenario after setting graphics to 16bit (from auto) and setting the Nvidia alt settings on... I had no problems.

However, I don't regard this as a proper test as I tended to have problems with large amounts of units (500+ for me alone) rather than the 100 or so for the E/W Pennsylvania scenario I tried.

I do have some extra things to try, mostly checking bios settings, but I appreciate that it's almost certainly a problem with my system not liking the game but not a problem with the game itself.

If anyone does have game freezing/locking, perhaps they could add to this thread or contact me by PM.

Thanks.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Have you had any further problems? Any further lockups?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “SR2010 Support”