Engineers

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

szabfer
Captain

Post by szabfer »

PS - regarding the earlier comment about testing engineer build times and not seeing a difference - note that engineers affect the build time in their full Zone of Control (hex and surrounding hexes), so make sure you built your 'not engineer' test facility more than 1 hex away from the engineers.
That is the real solution for my problem. Many thanks for the answer :)
Chaim
Major

Post by Chaim »

There is a time diff betwen common engineer and the other (hard target M708 i guess) enginner construction time reduction?
Draken
General
Human: Yes

Post by Draken »

George Geczy wrote:Thanks pretty interesting, thanks for the info Draken.

Though there do not seem to be many of them, as you point out, they do exist, so we should add something of this sort.

I would tend to think:
- Leg Movement / Soft Target
- Not amphibious
- Supports construciton (ie no-supply build, construciton speedup)
- Demolition capable
- NOT a bridging unit (linked info indicates that they are capable of repairing bridges and such, but clearly in being air-dropped they would not have with them full pontoon bridging or other heavy equipment).

Chris and I will talk about this and see what we can add.

-- George.
Glad to help! And I like the proposed characteristics. Definitely they should not be a bridging unit!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We've chatted a little and decided on a few other things;

- Poor hard attack (not carrying as many portable ATGMs)
- Average close attack but good close defense (not equiped to break entrenchements as much)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
BG
Warrant Officer

Post by BG »

How about making distinction beteween combat eng. and construction/bridge eng.?
The 1st ones(combat type)should have excellent close attack stats(for fort and urban combat and demolition purposes but no construction ability)and good soft/hards(they are elite in reality after all)while the others exactly the opposite.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I've already added the leg unit we mentioned above so don't really see the need for this. The current engineer is not bad at combat and does construction/bridging...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Chaim
Major

Post by Chaim »

One thing, if my eng is set to build and the enemy atack the hex where he is working, he gonna stop helping the construction? if "yes" airborne engineer will have a use problem (being atacked while he is working).
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

In RL, I'm pretty sure they will stop working on the construction if attacked and that is how I would expect the engineers to behave on SR2010.
if "yes" airborne engineer will have a use problem (being atacked while he is working).
Easy, just use other airborne units to protect the engineers while they work :)
Chaim
Major

Post by Chaim »

Yeah thats truth, but i gonna need much more airborne to do the joblike

X-X-X
-0A0-
X-X-X

X = Airborne units (stacks of 7, or 5 with airdroped AT´s)
0 = Support units (farps, artillery, anti air, all airdropped)
A = Engineer corp (5 airborne enginner 2 antiair)

If they work while atacked i would need much less troops.
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

I don't know if this has been mentioned at all (I haven't read the rest of this Thread)...

Should Light Infantry have a 'Better' Soft and Close Combat than Engineers... I mean Wtf! Engineers are trained to fight and in so cases do (Mine Clearing in War Zones etc)

But I'd say some1 whos Trained and Meant to fight would fight better than some1 whos Trained and not Meant to fight...

In the British Army (I'm not gonna ask you to base you game around the British army just giving Example) the Infantry use something thats called a Susat (Sight Unit Small Arms Trilux Its the Scope :P) and that has a 300m range (It can shoot alot further mind u) but the Engineers use Iron Sights...

Wouldn't a Scope at least put them at an Advantage at the Soft attack rating if not both Soft and Close...

P.S I know why you put engineers as better in close combat... They have the explosives and CQC type things... But if they are needed the Infantry are given them...
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
theharrisonater
Lieutenant

lol newb question

Post by theharrisonater »

i bet this was already posted in here but because of not having DSL i cant do anything online :cry: ok so why do engineers lose their "construction" command once their on the desired hex. why isnt it like entrench where their command is "entrench" untill they move?
Artillery bombardment requires many tanks for defence, entrench them. If not they will die.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

that has already been discussed elsewhere.

http://www.bgforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=6455
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
The REAL Ruler
Warrant Officer

I win allways on French map

Post by The REAL Ruler »

This game is VERY VERY VERY fun i am the best rtser there is ( LOL ) but i do play very much i want the full game. TIP: Buy there capital and a buch a land around it and they will take it for around 192 mill and you get 6 bill to 800 mill so you always win. WARNING HE MAY DECLAR WAR ON YOU SO BE READY.
Never get full of pride because pride comes before the fall.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: I win allways on French map

Post by Balthagor »

The REAL Ruler wrote:This game is VERY VERY VERY fun i am the best rtser there is ( LOL ) but i do play very much i want the full game. TIP: Buy there capital and a buch a land around it and they will take it for around 192 mill and you get 6 bill to 800 mill so you always win. WARNING HE MAY DECLAR WAR ON YOU SO BE READY.
This does not work if you're using the latest updates.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”