Freezing

Find support, discuss issues, report in game bugs found here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

FastBoy101
Captain

Freezing

Post by FastBoy101 »

SPECS:
Athlon 700
TNT2 Ultra 32VRAM (best TNT2 Ultra, Guillemot's Xentor) - with drivers
WinXP
DirectX 9 (I know... I should put DX8 back)
One fan is out (our of 3 tuned down to blow softly)

BUG:
I do anything, whattever within the game, and it freezes. Until now, it always froze so bad esc, that alt-tab or ctrl-alt-del would do nothing and only RESET would do.

EDIT: Let me test a bit... changed somethign and wanna see if it will arrange it
Big stuff from K5
tboy21
Major

Post by tboy21 »

To me it freezes when I try to launch from the silo more than 1 missle at a time
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

I have reported my observations and continue to have occasional freeze episodes. Most are temporary but some on bigger scenarios are solid lockups.

http://www.bgforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5413

These mainly graphical-related freezes did manifest themselves in other games and I suspect an overheating vidoe chip was the cause. However, I still get freezeups that last a few seconds in SR2010. It's as if it's trying to reclaim fragmented memory. There's no apparent pattern to when it happens other than when more graphics are brought to the screen (scrolling to another section of map or opening another window).

Very often the map is not overly busy. I've had it happen in the current map (Arizona as unification) and none of my units are moving at all!

I've recently tried lowering graphics settings to auto/low with little effect.

You might try reinstalling the game...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Freezing

Post by Balthagor »

FastBoy101 wrote:Let me test a bit... changed somethign and wanna see if it will arrange it
OKay, let us know if this problem continues... 8_
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tboy21
Major

Post by tboy21 »

also it's freezes when I try to launch missles from several regular launchers
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Do you have a savegame I can try? No one else has reported this... :-?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tboy21
Major

Post by tboy21 »

I'll try to recreate it
FastBoy101
Captain

Post by FastBoy101 »

The problem does continue, even after I tested what I wanted (reinstall drivers). I have to admit that I presently have Direct X 9 while I need to bring back DX8, but anyway... it does not freeze in other games (Galactic Civilizations).

It's weird, but it freezes even when there's no big troops movement or anything, like at the beginning of the game. I freezes at the moment when I click on something (it just did it when I double clicked to look at a research project's caracteristics).

Saving often is necessary for me, as it is not uncommon. I'll try to get DX9 off (Microsoft doesn't let anything in the "uninstall" window?! grrrr...). I also got a weird answer when I installed a second part of my drivers, but anyway... the rest does work.
Big stuff from K5
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

And is it reproducable? If you reload a savegame and do A, B, C... do you see the freeze? We still have not seen this ourselves so tough to troubleshoot :-?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
FastBoy101
Captain

Post by FastBoy101 »

Up to now, it froze in each scenario I played (Canada, France). But I played quite a few hours yesterday, almost always on pause, and it did not freeze. I suspect that it freezes when I demand the comp to do "one more thing" since each time it happened when I clicked on something. Curiously, it did not automatically froze when I was Barcelona and there was a certain lag when attacked at the same time by Madrid and Marseille: it froze after a while.

I'll try to see more about it I guess.
Big stuff from K5
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

If you have a case of a savegame that always crashes no matter what you do, send it over.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tboy21
Major

Post by tboy21 »

dont have a save yet (dont have time)
but i think it's has to do with the processing too many orders for the AI to do so if it goes beyond a certain level it just kills the AI and most of the options (or a TOTAL freeze )
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We've done some fairly heavy tests of this. We just can't seem to reproduce this one.

Could this be the "autosave" crash? Finally got a copy of that. Is it day end when it's crashing? (I know, hard to tell after it crashes... :roll: )
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

The freezing I get is intermittent and not yet reproducible. There is no pattern as to when it happens. I've never yet had an autosave crash (saving every day). I know that when the game saves there's a slight pause but the freeze is something different.

If I ever get a proveable freeze then I'll send it in... As tboy21 says, seems like an AI order overload or a graphics overload. Worrying though as it doesn't seem to affect many people.

tboy21, what operating system are you using? I'm on W98SE. We need to find a common reason why it's affecting at least us...
tboy21
Major

Post by tboy21 »

I have pentium 4

3Ghz

512MB RAM
Geforce 5200 FX 128 MB

WINXP

Note: the freeze is mostly when I use the no fog-of-war so I can see every unit moving, but also in an early stage of the game if I take 20-30 units of launchers and give them an order to launche missles at a certain spot

Return to “SR2010 Support”