US- Michigan scenario playing Ohio

Put your Single and Multi player AARs here please specify which it was (SP or MP).

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

november
Lieutenant

US- Michigan scenario playing Ohio

Post by november »

Got the full game yesterday. After reading about a third of the manual, I jumped in.

Update 2, by the way.

The Michigan scenario has 3 countries: Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio. As an Ohioian, I am disappointed this isn’t a more involved scenario. I am especially disappointed that there aren’t any nefarious Canadians. :wink:

This scenario is short, ending with a unification vote in May 2011. I decide to play it as a war game. I choose Monarchy as my government type which I think was the right choice. The WM was pleased and I didn’t have to worry about my DAR.

My plan is simple: conquer Michigan and win the vote.

I expand a coal power station and build an oil well, otherwise I put all my energy into expanding my existing bases.

I mass infantry, artillery, tanks, ATs and especially AA. I also build interceptors, attack fighters and helios. Everything should be in place by Feb. 15, 2001.

On Feb. 1, 2001 I raise my DEFCON to 4 and deploy my reserves. The troops are massed along the Michigan border.

Ah! On Feb, 7, Michigan declares war! Good show! All hell breaks loose and as I’d hoped, the massed AA quickly eliminates Michigan’s airforce.

Detroit falls with surprising ease. Michigan’s main army is western Michigan and after a week of fighting I understand why: Indiana declares war on Michigan.
Last edited by november on May 28 2005, edited 1 time in total.
november
Lieutenant

Post by november »

In the weeks leading to war, I attempted to establish an embassy with Indiana but no dice. They said because their people didn’t trust my leadership, it wasn’t possible. Smart AI.

I didn’t find my choice of government type to have any negative effect with the WM. They remained pleased throughout and continued to offer me units and designs.

My neglected economy hummed along. I was constantly in the black and able to build and expand as required.

In the unification polls, Ohio remained in the lead but started to drop in the weeks before the war. When Michigan declared war, Ohio had 36% and Michigan 33%. So war was justtified and because I am not the aggressor, the WM continues to shower its favors on me.

Because this was my first game, and a short one, I didn’t mess with research. I accepted whatever my minister suggested.
Moritz
Captain

Post by Moritz »

Interesting AAR ! I wish I had performed like that the first time I played SR 2010.
Welcome to modern warfare this isn't C&C
november
Lieutenant

Post by november »

With complete air superiority things go well. Their capitol falls and falls again—several times. I gain economic benefits but I didn’t check what they were. The troops roll forward with impunity until they encounter Michigan’s fleet. Their subs stop the offensive in its tracks until my air force arrives in northern Michigan.

Ohio doesn’t have a navy in this scenario but both of the other countries have ports. Keep this in mind if you play this scenario.

Meanwhile, Indiana takes the coast along Lake Michigan.

After 2 weeks Michigan is defeated. Their remaining troops became the property of Ohio, which surprised me.

In victory I make a serious blunder: I leave my troops in place scattered throughout the Michigan peninsula. And even though my air force suffered few losses, it was shot up badly. I began repairs up and down the line. The troops inherited from Michigan—including the fleet—were shot to hell.
Last edited by november on May 28 2005, edited 1 time in total.
november
Lieutenant

Post by november »

Moritz wrote:Interesting AAR ! I wish I had performed like that the first time I played SR 2010.
I played the demo a few times and read the forum.
november
Lieutenant

Post by november »

With Michigan conquered, I had hoped to wait out the remaining 10 weeks where I thought I could easily win the vote. Michigan’s former bases were slowly converting to mine.

When the war started I had 8 billion in the bank, when it ended I had 18 billion—life was good!

But on March 15 the despicable Indiana declared war! I immediately realized what I blunder I had made by leaving so many of my forces scattered in Michigan. Plus my air force was still in disarray.

While I moved troops out of Michigan, Indiana—with a potent and healthy air force—launched an offensive toward Cincinnati and Dayton. I hurled my tattered air force against them. Soon my air force was swept from the skies and Indiana’s forces were engulfing south-western Ohio—yikes!

But I still had massive amounts of AA and it did the trick. Soon Indiana’s air force, like mine, was gone. And my patchwork force was able to stem the tide in the most desperate areas.

About then my forces from Michigan finally began sweeping into northern Indiana. With the additional bases taken from Michigan I was able to put a small air force in the field but because Indiana no longer had one, it played to great effect.

Long story, short, by the end of April Indiana fell.

Great stuff. The AI attacked me twice. Indiana’s attack was a close run thing and had many tense moments.

Air superiority wins the day. When Indiana declared war, I sent the remnant of Michigan’s fleet against her’s. Indiana’s fleet made short work of mine, so Indiana ruled the waves but she made little use of her advantage. If a human had been playing against me, she could have wrecked havoc against my unprotected shores.

Return to “After Action Reports”