My idea of how I would love the combat system to work.

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

This is just an idea based on my opinions and I dont exect it to have any impact on the game.Its just to show what i would like and how it could possibly be done.
Wanted to make sure I got my disclaimer in there.

Time would be variable passage set by the player/s except during actual combat/battles at which time the game would switch to a set combat passage time which would reflect a reasonable passage of time so that units not involved in the combat can be moved into or away from the combat and units in the combat can be issued orders in a reasonable manner.
This would allow for reinforcements,evacuations,etc to take place during the actual combat and allow the game to still progress outside of the combat/battle at a reasonable rate for those not in the battle.
During none combat times,any player would be able to adjust the time passage down.Adjusting the time passage up/faster however would take a consensus(sp) of all the (human)players.
An option could be added to only allow a time passage lowering for a set amount of real time, with the end of the time limit resulting in a resetting of the time passage back to what is was before the slowage for a minimum amount of time equal to the time set for the slowage.
So if player 1 lowered the time passage and the games optional setting allowed him to do so for 5 minutes,than at the end of the five minutes the game would return to the previous speed and be unchangable for the same amount( 5 minutes) of time.
After which time passage could be adjusted as willed by the players til a lowering again set the process in motion.

Units would have formations for travel,resting and combat.Formations would have an impact on the defense/offense of the units.
At the moment of combat a tactical map would open and the units would start out in the formation that they were in at the moment the battle opened in the locations they were in at that time.
The tactical map would be a generic map that represents the terrain the battle takes place in.There would of course have to be multiple terrain type maps(mountian, hills, forest,etcc) and multiple maps of a given terrain type(hill with river,hill with small town,etc).The map would be chosen(by the computer) by the closest terrain type matching map available and then by the map that best represents the area of the terrain type the battle takes place in.The maps would also have to be fairly large allowing a large enough area for manuveering and be expandable.
By expandable i mean that if 2 units are engaged in a battle,and a third
unit (or more) joined the battle from a different facing the map would have to dynamically be resized to include an additional area equal(or larger) in size to the first area that would represent the new front.

The map and the units on it would be represented in as close as possible relative scale.

The units themselves would show each piece of the unit on the map with each piece able to be given orders and influenced by morale,etc..individually.Orders could also be given by entire unit.A select unit, select piece,or drag and click system would work here.
The actual fighting in the system at this point would be much like the model used by close combat or combat mission.

In addition a unit could decide to try and flee, break off combat, etc..
Its success would be based on the involved engaged units speeds,spoting abilities,hiding abilities,terrain,
supply,fatique, and possibly a few more factors.

Once a unit has successfully broken away from combat it would be returned to the regular map and issued orders there instead of on the tactical map.
It could of course be pulled back into the tactical map(by being re-engaged) or enter voluntarily .
But would otherwise be free to move on the regular map.

Supply lines would be decided by zones of control with different unit types having different size zones and effectiness at controlling them.
The zones could simply be represented by concentric hexs around the units showing area of control and effectiness.
Supply lines and control zones would be shown on the regular map.Overlapping zones would of course be more effective.
Units that were fatiqued or themselves suffering from a supply shortage would have their control zones and effectiveness adjusted accordingly.
If a roughly straight path can be drawn from the unit in need back to a supply location,without passing thru a zone of controlled by the enemy ,it would recieve supplies.
If the path of supplies was forced to pass thru an enemy controlled zone,the effectiveness of the unit controlling the zone would be aplied against the supply ability of the supplier to decide what if anything got thru.
This system would allow for the possibility of air drops using the same exact system.The aircraft would also have to actaully make it to the supply target without being shotdown.

Was that long and confusing enough :smile: ?
lemmy
Sergeant

Post by lemmy »

Was that long and confusing enough ?
i'm afraid it was :eek: :sad:
Empier4552
General

Post by Empier4552 »

Actually from my quick over view it seems some what logical. The things you described reminded me of several games. Right now however i'm short on time so i'll probably give a better reply later when i can fully read it and then tell you just how logical and unconfusing i found it.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Thanks for the feed back

1. Time would be variable passage set by the player/s except during...

We haven't finished all the details on "passage of time" so these comments are well timed (sorry, had too...) and will be taken into consideration. Need to see if it works/can be kept fun.

2. Units would have formations for travel,resting ...

How very SuperPowers of you :smile: We do respect the design that they intended but our combat will always remain at a "larger scale" in the sense that 2 units fighting on the map will be exactly that, on the map. Combat will take place from hex to hex much more in the style of the panzer general games. Time will also move slow enough to bring in more forces from elsewhere on the map. If you can entrench long enough, you can get large forces to the disputed area.

3. The map and the units on it would be represented in as close as possible relative scale.

"as close as possible" is deffinitly our aim on this one. It's hard to get scale right when a marine and an aircraft carrier can occupy the same amount of space. Also remember that when you see a Leopard tank on the map, that is a battalion of Leopards, not just one tank.

4. The units themselves would show each piece...

With the scale we are offering I don't see any way we could achieve this. When we list a group of Longbow helicopters, we give them a spoting range based on them being accompanied by at least one Kiawa Warrior for spoting but you will not see the Kiawa in the game. Orders can be given to the unit (battalion), the unit's Regiment or the unit's Division. In some scenarios, moving less than a regiment will be almost useless. There is the possibility we will need to support another level for "Corps" level orders. Still in discussion.

5. In addition a unit could decide to try and flee...

Yes, this will be an option.

6. I will post more details of our supply model soon. From what you've suggested, you'll be happy with what we are creating for supply lines.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
XeroMan
Lt. Colonel

Post by XeroMan »

How very SuperPowers of you :smile: We do respect the design that they intended but our combat will always remain at a "larger scale" in the sense that 2 units fighting on the map will be exactly that, on the map. Combat will take place from hex to hex much more in the style of the panzer general games.
Reminds me also of a game on SuperNintendo... can't recall the name however. Red vs. Blue... any one know the one I'm talking about?
My question is this: When units engage will there be a cut shot of units blowing up? This option was available in Panzer General I beleive. It was nothing special, just a graphical representation of the various units being blown up. (A row of up to ten units on both sides)
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

We will have "News Reports" of military action including video clips. We are trying to keep the eye candy value without making it too obtrusive. The game that comes to mind for me (other than Panzer General) is Command HQ.
- David

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”