3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

evildari
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by evildari »

nice models! - for whatevery reason - i could never see models in this topic in the past - just now..
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

That is a weird issue. I have had them not show up for short periods but never more than say half a day.
I know ISP's might block certain sites. Mine blocks a few hosting services due to them being regarded as hosting illegal content but that is not something I would expect to go away again.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Made a Project 705 Lira (NATO name Alfa) class nuclear powered attack submarine.
The basic model is more or less done. I do however plan on experimenting with weathering the lower part of the hull a bit like seen on this picture.
Assuming this turns out okay I plan on releasing two separate versions as chances are this will not be to the taste of everyone. I am not going to make two separate texture versions to swap between as I use a master texture map and I will have to remember making two versions every-time I update that.
If I end up not being happy with how it turns out I will likely just scrap it. Similar things have happened before.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Looks good I'm intrigued to see how the weathered hull turns out.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I think this is more or less the Type 23 done.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Nice!
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

HMS Northumberland looks totally on point :D

This will look great next to the Type 45 you already did and the QE Carrier and of course not forgetting the Asute and Vanguard!
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

Nerei wrote: Dec 05 2020 Made a Project 705 Lira (NATO name Alfa) class nuclear powered attack submarine.
The basic model is more or less done. I do however plan on experimenting with weathering the lower part of the hull a bit like seen on this picture.
Assuming this turns out okay I plan on releasing two separate versions as chances are this will not be to the taste of everyone. I am not going to make two separate texture versions to swap between as I use a master texture map and I will have to remember making two versions every-time I update that.
If I end up not being happy with how it turns out I will likely just scrap it. Similar things have happened before.
Nice model :D

I love when submarines are depicted with antennas included :-)

By the way, can i do a little request? Do you think you could do a model for the "Sturmpanzer 21cm Assault Gun" (if it's not too much to ask)?

I would really appreciate if you could, because I like a lot that assault gun: i'm actually playing with it in "combat mission Fortress Italy" game. I love both, to use it when playing as germany and to destroy it when playing as USA :D

Right now that model in the game doesn't look like the historical model:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

sparky282 wrote: Dec 13 2020 HMS Northumberland looks totally on point :D

This will look great next to the Type 45 you already did and the QE Carrier and of course not forgetting the Asute and Vanguard!
I think the relatively weak shading on HMS Dragon will stand out next to this which is a bit problematic. I might have to reshade that ship at some point. Not exactly my highest priority right now though.
Arahatree wrote: Dec 13 2020 Nice model :D

I love when submarines are depicted with antennas included :-)

By the way, can i do a little request? Do you think you could do a model for the "Sturmpanzer 21cm Assault Gun" (if it's not too much to ask)?

I would really appreciate if you could, because I like a lot that assault gun: i'm actually playing with it in "combat mission Fortress Italy" game. I love both, to use it when playing as germany and to destroy it when playing as USA :D

Right now that model in the game doesn't look like the historical model:
I personally find the masts allow me to add some colour and details at a relatively low price in texture map and polycount. While thin they can stand out quite well next to the dark hulls and water background. That I think is a good enough reason to add them despite in reality chances are they are not used very often.

As for the vehicle I am assuming it would be something like a Sturmpanzer IV Brummbär would be fitting?
I should be able to make one. I already have a partially UV mapped Panzer IV that I have been meaning to get back that should be serviceable as a base to make it from. It would probably "just" involve replacing the turret with a casemate and making some changes to the front vehicle from what I can tell.

In general I have been meaning to make more late world war 2/early cold war vehicles. One I have been looking at is the ISU-152 as right now the closest appears to be a Jagdpanther.

As for suggestions in general as long as it is not something completely silly like Project Habakkuk I am willing to at least consider it. I will however not give any definitive timeline as to when it will be done.
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

Nerei wrote: Dec 13 2020
As for the vehicle I am assuming it would be something like a Sturmpanzer IV Brummbär would be fitting?
I should be able to make one. I already have a partially UV mapped Panzer IV that I have been meaning to get back that should be serviceable as a base to make it from. It would probably "just" involve replacing the turret with a casemate and making some changes to the front vehicle from what I can tell.

In general I have been meaning to make more late world war 2/early cold war vehicles. One I have been looking at is the isu-152 as right now the closest appears to be a Jagdpanther.

As for suggestions in general as long as it is not something completely silly like Project Habakkuk I am willing to at least consider it. I will however not give any definitive timeline as to when it will be done.
Heheheh, Project Habakkuk :lol: i didn't know about that, i just searched in wikipedia.

Exactly, Sturmpanzer IV Brummbär. In combat mission it's called just Sturmpanzer IV, and it looks like that image i showed before (with spaced armor is also cool). It looks so massive, with such a big caliber (150mm or 210mm).

The isu-152 is also very impressive, it also looks massive 8) I would like to see your ideas about isu-152. Imagine the clash Sturmpanzer IV Brummbär VS isu-152 like the picture below :o

Thank you very much for considering the request :D Off course, no timeline, don't worry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I took a quick look at my Panzer IV model (should be a G model though I am not an expert in German tanks).
The parts of the UV map I have made is intended to support conversions so slapping some spaced armour on the sides is possible as is replacing the turret to represent early Panzer IV's. Converting it into a SturmPanzer IV once completed should be fairly easy all things considered.

Here is the base model. I think just replacing the red parts and installing a casemate instead would be enough to make it into a sturmpanzer IV.
For a 3D model this is actually not a lot. In many cases vehicle conversions takes a lot more work. I do not think there would be much reusable when making say a Jagdtiger from a Tiger II despite the Jagdtiger using a modified tiger II chassis. When making the different Leopard 2 models I also just made the 2A4 from scratch instead of trying to adapt the 2A6.
Yes I have not bothered with making acceptable lighting. That is not important with a model in this early stage. The goal is also just to show how little I will need to rebuild.
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

Nerei wrote: Dec 15 2020 I took a quick look at my Panzer IV model (should be a G model though I am not an expert in German tanks).
The parts of the UV map I have made is intended to support conversions so slapping some spaced armour on the sides is possible as is replacing the turret to represent early Panzer IV's. Converting it into a SturmPanzer IV once completed should be fairly easy all things considered.

Here is the base model. I think just replacing the red parts and installing a casemate instead would be enough to make it into a sturmpanzer IV.
For a 3D model this is actually not a lot. In many cases vehicle conversions takes a lot more work. I do not think there would be much reusable when making say a Jagdtiger from a Tiger II despite the Jagdtiger using a modified tiger II chassis. When making the different Leopard 2 models I also just made the 2A4 from scratch instead of trying to adapt the 2A6.

Yes I have not bothered with making acceptable lighting. That is not important with a model in this early stage. The goal is also just to show how little I will need to rebuild.
That's great! it looks like that chasis can do the trick :-)

By the way, following the same procedure also the Sturmtiger could be possible? because it has exactly the same chassis as the Tiger tank (historically speaking), and the turret is a simple box with a bit slanted sides.

On the other hand, i looked and couldn't find the Sturmtiger in the game (did anyone else notice this or am i wrong?) but i could include that unit in the DEFAULT.UNIT if you would decide also to make the Sturmtiger? That would be my last request, i promise :D
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Yes the Sturmtiger is made from converted Tiger I hulls so it should be possible to make one by removing the turret of the Tiger I and replacing it with a casemate. That would basically be what Germany did in reality. Naturally I have to make the Tiger I first which would probably be the main task there. If I make one I see no reason it could not be converted into a Sturmtiger.

I do like the Tiger I. I actually once a long time ago made a high detail model of one. It was however never textured and from what I remember the mesh had some issues that I would never accept today. Not even sure where it even ended up. Probably on one of my numerous backup discs.
I guess I should make a Tiger at some point. It would by far not be the most obscure vehicle I have made. Not even for world war 2 Germany. The E-50 takes that price. If I ever get around to finishing my E-100 then that will also be a bit more obscure.

I do not think there are any Sturmtiger design in the game. Lack of a design to pair the model with however have not in the past stopped me from making anything. Take the Type 74 "Nana-Yon" MBT. Despite only the initial production models being in the game I have still made 4 different variants. I have also made vessels like Type 055 class DDG and Izumo class DDH neither of which are in the game. Others like the Type 10 MBT I made before they where added (Although the Hitomaru in-game has little to do with the real world variant)

Also I have no problem with getting 20 suggestions for models to make. Chances are I might find something I really like which is honestly one of the main motivators for making something.
I will just say that the number grow so does the chances that some of them will never be made.

I would also say that if I appear to have forgotten something just remind me. Chances are that like a Magpie I have run into something shiny and gotten distracted.
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

Nerei wrote: Dec 15 2020 Yes the Sturmtiger is made from converted Tiger I hulls so it should be possible to make one by removing the turret of the Tiger I and replacing it with a casemate. That would basically be what Germany did in reality. Naturally I have to make the Tiger I first which would probably be the main task there. If I make one I see no reason it could not be converted into a Sturmtiger.

I do like the Tiger I. I actually once a long time ago made a high detail model of one. It was however never textured and from what I remember the mesh had some issues that I would never accept today. Not even sure where it even ended up. Probably on one of my numerous backup discs.
I guess I should make a Tiger at some point. It would by far not be the most obscure vehicle I have made. Not even for world war 2 Germany. The E-50 takes that price. If I ever get around to finishing my E-100 then that will also be a bit more obscure.

I do not think there are any Sturmtiger design in the game. Lack of a design to pair the model with however have not in the past stopped me from making anything. Take the Type 74 "Nana-Yon" MBT. Despite only the initial production models being in the game I have still made 4 different variants. I have also made vessels like Type 055 class DDG and Izumo class DDH neither of which are in the game. Others like the Type 10 MBT I made before they where added (Although the Hitomaru in-game has little to do with the real world variant)

Also I have no problem with getting 20 suggestions for models to make. Chances are I might find something I really like which is honestly one of the main motivators for making something.
I will just say that the number grow so does the chances that some of them will never be made.

I would also say that if I appear to have forgotten something just remind me. Chances are that like a Magpie I have run into something shiny and gotten distracted.
I completely understand you, motivation is the main fuel. So, just follow your heart, whenever your heart feels like it :) The same happens to me very often, like for one month i feel like doing something and i can't stop doing it, and then another month or weeks i come back to another thing back and forth. And motivation is what get the best results too.

If you have all those models and variants that are not in the game, what we could do (if you think it's a good idea) is that i can make a DEFAULT.UNIT file that brings all those models into the game as new units, taking their stats from wikipedia to assign them the real historical stats.

For the different variants of the same unit it could work too, because it doesn't harm the AI to have several units with the same stats and different 3d models or those different camouflage colors. Imagine how cool they would look in the game all those CH-47 Chinook different skin colors that you made lately :) That would add an interesting and wonderful array of colors and models to the game.

What do you think about this suggestion?

And you wouldn't have to do extra work or it wouldn't take you extra time, because i would introduce myself all those extra units into the file. Off course, i would give all credits to you, and i can even pass the file to you and you be the one who publish it under your name, i don't care about credits or recognition, i just think it would be really cool to have those extra models in the game as new units. It would be your mod and i do that DEFAULT.UNIT to bring all those models to the game.

I could make two versions if you want, one pure vanilla with these extra units added, for the players who are in love with vanilla. And the other version could be for Supreme Ruler Remastered mod, because i'm trying to do that mod as realistic as possible (for example i took away the ASW capabilities from early submarines, since homing torpedoes were not invented yet). This way we could bring the Sturmtiger into the game and any other unit that you have a model and is not in the game.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The Chinook variants do not need multiple designs to work as all those textures are from the games perspective just different versions of a single model (1652). As long as the textures have the right name and are in the meshes folder the game handles the rest.

The game allows for regional texture sets. That means it is possible to have different textures on a model depending on what region group a region belongs to.
E.g. it is possible to have a single CH-47 design that when operated by a member of region group U uses the US texture while if it belongs to the region group M uses the UK texture set. If it was operated by say Germany it would just use the default texture as there is no region group G texture.

The limitation to this system is that it is not possible to have say a distinct Greek, Turkish and Spanish design as all 3 are members of the same region group (E) and thus the same texture will be called.
That is why I generally only make specific textures for large region groups where there are a single massively dominant nation.

When I say variants I mean fully functional models of a single type of vehicle that typically only has a single variant as design but where I have made multiple variants.

Take the Nana-yon.
These are 4 different variants of the same basic tank. The Japanese Type 74 "Nana-yon" MBT. They are different models with different textures. There are also multiple textures for the same region group (J).
To have more than one of these in-game requires multiple designs. The Chinooks though as mentioned are just multiple texture variants of a single models so they can work be called by the same design.

This is a good example of me going overboard with vehicle variants as only the one on the far left is in game (the initial production model) and the two to the right are prototypes that never got anywhere.

As for using the models like I have said you are free to do basically whatever you want. If you want to add designs that matches the models I have made (and bundle the models with them) then I have no objections.
Really if people want to do something with these assets I have no intentions of stopping them.
The reason I release them is to allow people to use them not to sit on it like a dragon on its hoard or the entertainment industry on old IPs.

I can take a bit of time to update the spreadsheet I made some time ago. It includes the status of the models I have made as well as a link to what they represent (assuming they represent anything real, a few does not).
I think it has been 1-2 years since I last touched that spreadsheet. Mostly I just go with my own offline document.

Also if you make a mod then it is your mod. You should get credit for it. Making designs is something that should not be underestimated. There can be a lot of work involved and that should be recognized. By comparison all 3D assets are in this regard is changing a single value for each design and adding some text to the picnums file.
If you do this I by far consider your contribution greater than mine and as such I would consider it your mod.

I would also stress than when I say please give credit all I mean i something like a link, a line of text or similar is plenty of credit to me. It is really just a formality and common cutesy to me which is why I mention it.

Also if you do think I am happy to help with research for designs and the like. I typically have done something already for the models as part of gathering references.

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”