Army autobuild managment

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

rlame
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Army autobuild managment

Post by rlame »

Would it be possible to make system in Supreme ruler that would build army based on percentages?
I mean land forces 30% infantry, 30% tanks, 20% artillery, 10% air defense etc. :slight_smile:
All the attack units usually get destroyed way more easily than artillery and that leads to situations where you have 2000 artillery and 50-100 attack units if you let auto build do it's thingy.
Micromanaging gets quite time consuming once you have big empire with +200 unit production facilities.
rlame
Sergeant

Re: Army autobuild managment

Post by rlame »

Another thing is obsolete units. Currently there is no easy way to scrap them.
Would it be possible to have filter in reserve units like active units have that I could select all units of same type and issue scrap command?
When you have thousands of units making whole reserve active and then selecting and scrapping simply does not work.
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

I support more control on army build management. AI prefer to build artillery more and with infantry and tanks getting killed it just promote slower game in longer campaigns. All the spotting of artillery is really a waste when they dont have that much infantry and tanks. Thats the negative i find with aggressive AI, after a while its easy, cause most infantry and tanks will be killed as merchant marine.

Even better the user can set the % values manually and/or be moddable.
Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Uriens »

Kind of agree here. AI should balance it's forces so when it loses plenty of tanks/infantry it should be prioritizing those unit types.

OTOH, artillery is used differently in latest (in this specific 9.1.250) build. When an important location is captured or endangered like military complex with productions, barracks or capital, it will deploy AA and artillery units around it for defense. In lots of cases it can actually slow or stop enemy advance. I've seen have plenty of cases where AI managed to stop enemy offensive with mass artillery and AA units positioned around key points. It can give a player quite a headache as well since you can't just send AI to clean them up bacause of all that mass AA units while your land units will take a lot of pounding just getting to them. AA and artillery units are definitely used in this build and its better they are used in defensive roles since they tend to turn multi million cities to rubble by AI if used offensively. It MAY look like its 'flowering' around barracks like it was in SR2020 but it's not. Its actually deploying defenses around critical locations as needed and its a good strategy - especially if it has good long range AA and artillery units available. So i wouldn't agree that artillery (or AA for that matter) is a waste.

AI does seem to have another problem with artillery. Long range rocket artillery units have a high military goods cost to fire, and i mean HIGH. AI does not take supply cost to combat time ratio into account that when it decides what units to produce so it builds large masses of those units which cost him enormous amounts of military goods which it tries to buy (no way it can produce enough on its own) and eventually completely bankrupts itself. This is most visible with regions using Smerch artillery. Those regions build masses of Smerch artillery bc they are fast and cheap to produce but completely omits the operating(firing) cost of those units. AI should consider supply usage/combat time ratio when deciding to building artillery/AA units to cycle to next choice if number of high cost units is too large. Or economic values of those units should be rebalanced (production time/cost) to reflect their operating costs and thus reducing their appeal to AI.
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

Yes, i agree planes, artillery and aa are finally usefull in hands of the AI, but i didnt say AI should build 0% artillery. I wasnt sure if it was due to playing defensive AI, but i had a hard time conquering USA. Last time before the patch i tried on aggressive and only needed like 21 infantry to annex USA. On the other hand i knew i beaten them in Germany.

It's much easier to adjust values then expect a balanced ai i think. If i have to guess, BG wont do it tho, they prolly looked at orbats and made values on that. My argument to that would be, no way a country keeps building artillery when it needs infantry and tanks to protect them. So yeah i guess your balanced argument is fine :)

I also agree with problem of Chinese and Russian long ranged artillery. They are nasty to play against, but very expensive in MG. Also saw regions going bankrupt from it. Imagine all the calculations. On the other hand you have USA building 99% of artillery mortars with insane combat time, also nasty but yea a bit more "balance" wouldnt be too bad. I think some of the artillery go to the strategic pool tho, so yeah thats a waste. Thats also an option more artillery available to shoot missiles and also more towed artillery. But then again i didnt think this was a problem in SR2020, so yeah maybe its on the fixing list.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

rlame wrote: Jan 30 2020 When you have thousands of units making whole reserve active and then selecting and scrapping simply does not work.

There is always room for improvement with the system but I am curious, in what way does this not work? What issue arises which does not allow the scrap order to function?

I always deploy the individual branch I wish to deal with. If land units, I deploy all land units and only land units. Did you perhaps mean it is just too tedious? I find it does indeed work as I show below in answer to a specific question from someone;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKZEozc ... q&index=16
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

Another feature missing from SR2020, should be easier to scrap them from reserve. When i select multiple from reserve only 1 scrap at a time.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

I see. Yes, when selecting while in reserve, you must give each one the order to scrap. If you select 5 units, you must give the scrap order 5 times. This is why I suggest deploying them first.
As I typed, it could be improved. I was concerned as you typed it did not work. I now understand you meant it does work, but should be easier.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

I didnt type it didnt work, i choose to ignore it in my first comments, since topic at hand is big enough. I feel for rlame tho, still want to take a break after annexing USA. Gifting units with 3k reserve is extremely laggy btw. Not sure if its because of the location of the barrack is mentioned in the list, but yeah just thought i would mention it. As USA you might have no problem deploying all your units, as China you need arround a trillion so you can loose a couple of hundred billion to do this. So what i did was i have 3 main barracks. 1 in China capital, 1 in Israel and 1 in western europe, then i can only deploy those in the barracks,

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”