3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Nerei
General
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by Nerei »

Finally got around to finishing some models.
changelog:
Added: 1593 Ki-61 Hien (texture: ki61_tx.dds, variants: J)
Added: 1595 Ki-84 Hayate (texture: ki84_tx.dds, variants: J)
Updated: 1601 A6M2 - Texture update
Updated: 1612: G5N - Texture update
Added: 1690 Udaloy class DDG (texture: CQR_tx.dds, variants: none)
Added: 1728 Yasen class SSGN (texture: CQR_tx.dds, variants: none)
Added: 1792 SCB 125 essex (texture: NAEn_tx.dds, variants: none)
Added: 1793 California class CGN (texture: NAEn_tx.dds, variants: none)
Added: 1794 Long Beach class CGN (texture: NAEn_tx.dds, variants: none)
Added: 1820 UK Type 21 class FF (texture: NAEn_tx.dds, variants: none)
Added: 1821 Albany class CG (texture: NAEn_tx.dds, variants: none)
Added: 1827 Leahy class CG (texture: NAEn_tx.dds, variants: none)
Added: 1832 Queen Elizableth class STOVL CV (texture: NAEn_tx.dds, variants: none)
Added: 1835 F-86 Sabre (texture: F-86_tx.dds, variants: AGHJKMUV)
Added: 1837 F-86D Sabre Dog (texture: F-86D_tx.dds, variants: FGHJKUV)
Added: 1844 XB-70A Valkyrie (texture: B-70_tx.dds, variants: U)
Added: 1846 P-2J Neptune (texture: P2_nep_tx.dds, variants: J)
Updated: 1862 me 1101/99 - Texture update
Updated: 1903 XF-108 - Texture update
Updated: 1907 su-24 - Texture update
Added: 1917 He-162 (texture: he162_tx.dds, variants: G(+G variant))
Added: 1918 FW-190 (texture: fw190_tx.dds, variants: G(+G variant and others))
Added: 1920 Me P1101 (texture: me1101_tx.dds, variants: G(+G variant))
Added: 1922 He-177 (texture: he177_tx.dds, variants: G(+G variant and others))
Added: 1944 ZTL-11 (texture: ZTL11_tx.dds, variants: C)
Added: 1953 OH-6D (texture: OH6D_tx.dds, variants: J)
Optional content includes swastikas for World War 2 German aircraft and some textures requested by Cdiplayer
download link
Note that I am currently not able to properly check them in-game so there might be issues with the scale.
I have tried to check that the models call for the right textures but as I can only do very basic things with .x models I cannot check if say the UV map or part of the mesh has been broken during exporting.
Last edited by Nerei on Dec 01 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Cyrus Jackson
Warrant Officer

Post by Cyrus Jackson »

Nicely done! Glad to see the F-86 Sabre and the angled deck Essex. Thanks a lot, mate.
Faslane
Corporal

Post by Faslane »

Thanks for all these Nerei, you've done an amazing job. Can you tell me what software you use to make your models + a quick run through of the process and the files I'd need to generate? Quite fancy having a go at some of the more recent/modern British units (Types 23/26/31, Typhoon, etc.)
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I use Maya and Photoshop for the creation of the model and texture. I use an ancient copy of Max for exporting the model to a format the game can read.

The process itself is not really that complex as the game really is quite simple from a graphics perspective. The game does not have animations like say in Civilization and all effects are just a spritesheet. It does however not have directional lighting either.

As for what files you need you really just need model and texture. Really if you got a model that looks right you are likely on the right path.

The texture should ideally be dds though I am fairly certain it also reads png.

The models needs to be a DirectX model (.x) which is the real problem as none including the format creators Microsoft have cared about it for probably a decade.
Depending on what modelling program you use you might need to get another one to handle the exporting process. The only actively supported plugin I know of is for Max. I know version 2.7 of Blender also had it. Not sure if it has been ported for 2.8x as it was not initially. For Maya there is only the ancient plugin from the DX SDK which is why I am using an old version of Max for exporting.
It does not matter if the model is binary or ascii the game can read both just fine.

There is a few things you should consider when making the models.

Models are not seen from below. You should be able to keep the underside simple without issue.

Ideally you want to only have one texture file. With more than one you will not be able to have regional textures (e.g. proper roundels for different nations) due to the way the game handles textures.
Also from a performance perspective less is better as it reduces the number of draw calls and the game is likely far more demanding for your CPU than your GPU.
As the game does not have any directional lights you should ideally bake some shading into the texture to help prevent it from becoming too much of a coloured blob.

For models you should not have more than 4 objects as that is all the game properly supports. In general though you should always just have a single object unless there is a reason for it. Those would mainly be if you want to try and make revolving turret or if you work with transparency (e.g. the rotors for a helicopter).
The reason for the multiple objects with transparency is that game does not render obscured polygons. If the object is transparent or not does not matter. The only exception is if they are part of a different object.

Polycount tends to be around 700-1500. You can go higher without much issue as modern graphics cards can handle quite a lot of tris but if you want BG to consider including the models that is really the range to go for. How many more patches there will be though is another question as they are moving on to Galactic Ruler.

Hope this helps and if you got further questions or want me to elaborate further on something in particular feel free to ask.

I do actually have a model of a Type 23 frigate though it is only in the UV mapping stage. If you want to make one though that would be fine. ^_^
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I have worked a bit on the G4 Galeb.
It is not very far along. It is actually not even UV mapped but at least the mesh itself is more or less done. The tail was a bit annoying but I think it is okay.
milivoje02
Colonel

Post by milivoje02 »

The small wings are at a good angle.g 4 has 2 operators.
to me, the body shape of the aircraft is very indentical. are you going to put weapons containers?
Faslane
Corporal

Post by Faslane »

Nerei, that's great, thanks a lot for the run through. I'll have a look at this over the next few weeks and see if I have any talent for it
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

No problem. If you have have any questions feel free to ask. Also once you get going you can post some work in progress renders if you want feedback.

If you have not picked tools already I suggest going for either Maya or Blender for modelling and GIMP or Photoshop for texturing. That way there will be someone you can ask questions about the tools. I do not think there are modders that use other tools though BG does us Max and I worked with it years ago.
Blender and GIMP are probably the most obvious choices as they are freeware. You might also be able to get a student license for Maya which is also free. Photoshop unfortunately are solely on a subscription model last I checked unless you like me got an old copy.

Finally I forgot to mention that textures are usually either 512x512 or 1024x1024 (512 being the most common). The golden rule is go for sizes that are power of 2. I do not know exactly how the SR engine handles textures not in those sizes but I know that engines like unity scales them to the next power of two so it is entirely possible you save nothing going with say 800x800 vs 1024x1024.
milivoje02 wrote: Dec 01 2019 The small wings are at a good angle.g 4 has 2 operators.
to me, the body shape of the aircraft is very indentical. are you going to put weapons containers?
I rarely put weapons on aircraft but if you prefer that it is no big deal. Show me some pictures of what you would like and I will see what I can do
milivoje02
Colonel

Post by milivoje02 »

There are few weapons pictures but here's one of the G4's
galebbg.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Faslane
Corporal

Post by Faslane »

Thanks Nerei, appreciate it. I'm just trying to make sure I can get the software working (imports/exports, etc.) before I start sinking hours into watching tutorials/doing trial and error on my own models.

I'd downloaded Blender 2.79 which seemed to have some .x file import/export plugin, as you said. To see what existing models look like in Blender, I've tried to import some of the .x files from the SRU graphics>meshes folder with mixed success. For instance, I can (sometimes) get the 002 model (the old special forces unit) to import correctly, but I can't get your own 1832 model (QE-class) to import.

The 002 model only imports when I change the interaction from default/blender to maya
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

If I where to guess the reason you might not be able to import the models I have made is that I save the files as compressed binary while BG uses ascii.
I know some of blenders plugins can have issues with some formats depending on how they are saved. I am not sure if it is still the case but at one point blenders fbx plugin really did not like if the file was not saved as binary.
It is just a guess though.

Blender 2.79 should however work just fine for exporting models. Cyrus Jackson and SGTscuba uses blender for making models.
For specific questions about the program I recommend asking them as my experience with it is somewhat limited.

For the Galeb I have added 4 rocket pods. I will post a render once the model have a bit of texturing done.
Cyrus Jackson
Warrant Officer

Post by Cyrus Jackson »

Faslane wrote: Dec 03 2019 Thanks Nerei, appreciate it. I'm just trying to make sure I can get the software working (imports/exports, etc.) before I start sinking hours into watching tutorials/doing trial and error on my own models.

I'd downloaded Blender 2.79 which seemed to have some .x file import/export plugin, as you said. To see what existing models look like in Blender, I've tried to import some of the .x files from the SRU graphics>meshes folder with mixed success. For instance, I can (sometimes) get the 002 model (the old special forces unit) to import correctly, but I can't get your own 1832 model (QE-class) to import.

The 002 model only imports when I change the interaction from default/blender to maya
Blender 2.79 is very powerful for exporting to .x I never had problems with transparency, UV map breaking or whatever. However, it's not optimal as a program to import in general.
As someone who used a lot of different 3D programs, Blender is still my favorite after all these years.

Add me on Discord: Cyrus Jackson#4783

I'll give you a basic rundown on the basics of 3D modding, UV mapping and how to properly export a model. I'll give you more details there.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

My time have been a bit limited for the last week or so and it does not help that I tend to split it between multiple models.
For now here is an E-50 Standardpanzer in late war german camouflage pattern. Turret is based on the Panther. This is yet another example of a model I have had around for well over a year.

Also a Sho't Kal without markings or weathering. This is another model that is probably from sometime in 2018.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Really loving the shot model and texture
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The E-50 probably have at least as much in terms of details as the Sho't. Unfortunately camouflage patterns tends to make details less visible. Adding dirt, scratches and the like does not really help and the E-50 has it all.

Here is the Sho't Kal with some more weathering. The Sho't Kal is really me having fun with trying to add rust and grime to a vehicle and in general beating it up a bit.
For the record I am aware that there is no Sho't in the unit database.

The E-50 though is more an example of me messing around with shell and bullet markings as well as dirt. This is again probably more visible on the version without a camouflage pattern. Not sure if I am happy with all of them.

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”