Unit Vision 2.1.245

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

Unit Vision 2.1.245

Post by Uriens »

Playing on insider build with completely fresh install, no mods or any kind of modifications. Scenario Shattered World.
It would seem that unit vision is completely broken. Most of the time units are unable to detect units one hex next to them, often losing sight and since no sight unable to attack. Tested with enhanced spotting on and off - same results. What is even weirder, it seems that units briefly regain ability to spot units after a close by hex has changed hands, like its some sort of trigger.
AI units are apparently affected by the same problem and will often enter and even pass occupied hexes where there are enemy units.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Unit Vision 2.1.245

Post by Balthagor »

Could we get more info? Why do you say they are are losing sight? If you're seeing units not attacking, why do you believe it's a spotting issue?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

I can replicate this. Some units that are being directly engaged with, can't see them. Not sure if its because these are proxy units.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Can you zip and email the savegame please? Ticket 23880.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

I've sent you it

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Got it. It'll be next week before I can look at it.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Uriens »

Sorry for the late reply.
Could we get more info? Why do you say they are are losing sight? If you're seeing units not attacking, why do you believe it's a spotting issue?
Units are there, you see them but then suddenly they 'disappear' from view. Also, this doesn't happen to one or two units, but to pretty much every unit. You can see units were before then 'dissapear' from vision so that's how i know they are there. Also, as SGTscuba stated, you get attacked from neighboring hex but don't see anything there. OFC that means your units just sit there and do nothing.
This is most easier to reproduce if AI is attacking you and you have a line of defense. For some reason you will see almost no enemy coming at you but your units will suddenly start taking damage. Then move some units close to the enemy locations (have to guess i suppose) and all of the sudden you will see whole enemy army. Shortly after they will disappear from view again. This basically means, that moving in vicinity of enemy gives you vision but if you stand still, you lose vision of enemy very fast.

Easiest way to reproduce, form a defensive line along the border of your neighbor, declare war on him and keep your units still on the defensive line. You will notice this problem very fast. Then start moving your units forward toward enemy and you will see enemy units 'pop up' into view all around you.

I'm not sure what changes were implemented regarding LOS of units in this version but it's definitely broken.
Micheal Berg
Captain

Post by Micheal Berg »

Uriens wrote: Nov 29 2019 Sorry for the late reply.
Units are there, you see them but then suddenly they 'disappear' from view. Also, this doesn't happen to one or two units, but to pretty much every unit. You can see units were before then 'dissapear' from vision so that's how i know they are there. Also, as SGTscuba stated, you get attacked from neighboring hex but don't see anything there. OFC that means your units just sit there and do nothing.
This is most easier to reproduce if AI is attacking you and you have a line of defense. For some reason you will see almost no enemy coming at you but your units will suddenly start taking damage. Then move some units close to the enemy locations (have to guess i suppose) and all of the sudden you will see whole enemy army. Shortly after they will disappear from view again. This basically means, that moving in vicinity of enemy gives you vision but if you stand still, you lose vision of enemy very fast.

Easiest way to reproduce, form a defensive line along the border of your neighbor, declare war on him and keep your units still on the defensive line. You will notice this problem very fast. Then start moving your units forward toward enemy and you will see enemy units 'pop up' into view all around you.

I'm not sure what changes were implemented regarding LOS of units in this version but it's definitely broken.
This is happening in my current game as well |O |O
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

I've sent instructions on how to repeat this with my save game. But its the same story as above. Doesn't matter which country you fight against in the 36 sandbox so far. Havent tried any other sand boxes yet.

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I've done an initial look. I'd say you don't see those units because you have no recon. Bring over your aircraft and you suddenly see much farther. But even your spotting plan appears to have limited spotting "strength" since it's sub spotting is zero.

Some changes were made to the spotting code, but it should have made the system more robust and work more they way it was always envisioned to work. In your savegame, the second hex has only partial line of sight (if you have your shroud turned on or your hex grid turned on with grid out of LoS off you can get a sense of your max range). With only partial line of sight, it seems to make sense that your spotting of a unit would be intermittent.

If someone else has another savegame, please send it over and we'll keep testing this.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Uriens »

Balthagor wrote: Dec 02 2019 I've done an initial look. I'd say you don't see those units because you have no recon. Bring over your aircraft and you suddenly see much farther. But even your spotting plan appears to have limited spotting "strength" since it's sub spotting is zero.

Some changes were made to the spotting code, but it should have made the system more robust and work more they way it was always envisioned to work. In your savegame, the second hex has only partial line of sight (if you have your shroud turned on or your hex grid turned on with grid out of LoS off you can get a sense of your max range). With only partial line of sight, it seems to make sense that your spotting of a unit would be intermittent.

If someone else has another savegame, please send it over and we'll keep testing this.
Excuse me?
Micheal Berg
Captain

Post by Micheal Berg »

With all due respect, i dont agree. Try declaring war on anyone and you will see that when you engage you lose the targets if your in the same hex and your forces will only attack again once you move a hex away and back, and then only for a split second till the target disappears again. This is so frustrating, i am waiting for this to be fixed before playing with V2.1.245 again. In the meanwhile, i am playing offline with older versions of the game.

Please ask one of the team in the office with you to play a 20 minute match against you and you will see firsthand
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

It's still an issue further in my save. Green berets cant see the defenders but the defending garrison can see the green berets. They have a decent spotting up to 27km too the green berets do. Moving the unit allows them to spot.

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

SGTscuba wrote: Dec 03 2019 It's still an issue further in my save. Green berets cant see the defenders but the defending garrison can see the green berets. They have a decent spotting up to 27km too the green berets do. Moving the unit allows them to spot.
Now this is a more interesting example. Could you send me a savegame of this circumstance?
Micheal Berg wrote: Dec 03 2019 With all due respect, i dont agree. Try declaring war on anyone and you will see that when you engage you lose the targets...
I've played a bit, but would like to know what your situation was before the DoW. If you go from Allied to Enemy spotting should change.
Micheal Berg wrote: Dec 03 2019 ...if your in the same hex and your forces will only attack again once you move a hex away and back...
That I haven't seen that yet...
Micheal Berg wrote: Dec 03 2019 Please ask one of the team in the office with you to play a 20 minute match against you and you will see firsthand
For sure we will, but if bringing a bit of recon to the front lines does actually fix it all, that I like the idea that we've made recon land/air units more relevant.

Any comments on air/sea behaviour?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Sent you a newer save + screenshots of the issue

Return to “Issues and Support”