Supreme Ruler Remastered

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Cyrus Jackson
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Re: Supreme Ruler Remastered

Post by Cyrus Jackson »

Balthagor wrote: Oct 29 2019 AFAIK, most of what's been added here is a much higher poly count (level of detail/complexity) than what we use in the game. It would likely cause issues for any of our users on lower end hardware. It is likely to remain as a mod only.
The models have an average of 5'000 polys. (Some have a bit less, some have a bit more.) Almost all of them also use 512x512p textures. Polycount isn't insanely above the 700 poly limit in the SR Wikipedia.

I also noticed the game only load models in your screen and border of your screen(correct me if I'm wrong) so that reduces a lot the GPU load+of course no complicated effects like shadow or particles.

Considering a game like Battlefield 3 had an average of 100'000 polys per model+2/4K texture+advanced effects. My old 2011 Nvidia 550TI was able to run it at a decent FPS. (a 40$ GPU nowadays)

Playing with a friend who's using a weak laptop, he encountered no GPU lags whatsoever with my mod. The SRU engine surprisingly enough is capable of handling models quite well.
Cyrus Jackson
Warrant Officer

Post by Cyrus Jackson »

sparky282 wrote: Oct 29 2019 Just out of interest are we likley to get another batch of models and updates in the future? Whats been added so far is pretty amazing!!!
Thanks! :-)

Probably yes! I'm taking a small break from intensive 3D modeling to play some games and overall change my mind.
I already have the next list of models written down and I'm working sporadically on them. The next update will probably drop in January 2020.
guderian254
Corporal

Post by guderian254 »

any plans for working on the 1936 scenario?
Cyrus Jackson
Warrant Officer

Post by Cyrus Jackson »

guderian254 wrote: Nov 02 2019 any plans for working on the 1936 scenario?
Not in the near future. I still need to polish a few things in the Cold War start+start the remake of the modern world start.

Also, in my opinion, Supreme Ruler is at its strongest during the Cold War and Modern scenario.

The AI struggles to stay competitive when starting from 1936+I find Supreme Ruler to not be the best game to simulate WW2.
Micheal Berg
Captain

Post by Micheal Berg »

Cyrus Jackson, i just want to commend you on an outstanding MOD. I started playing 2020 as the USA yesterday and man, i love the units and balances.

This is truly one of the best MOD`s available.

Thanks for your effort
Cyrus Jackson
Warrant Officer

Post by Cyrus Jackson »

Micheal Berg wrote: Nov 08 2019 Cyrus Jackson, i just want to commend you on an outstanding MOD. I started playing 2020 as the USA yesterday and man, i love the units and balances.

This is truly one of the best MOD`s available.

Thanks for your effort
Thanks for the compliment. Seeing people enjoying the mod is one of the biggest motivating factors for me to keep working on it regularly.

As a side note, I dumped some time into new models, I'm finally done with the M48 Patton rework:
M48A1/M48A3 with the 90mm M41 gun and high visibility commander cupola
M48A5 with the M68 105mm gun, low visibility commander cupola, and IR lamp.

More preview coming tomorrow! :D
Last edited by Cyrus Jackson on Nov 13 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Cyrus Jackson
Warrant Officer

Post by Cyrus Jackson »

Double post
Last edited by Cyrus Jackson on Nov 13 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Cyrus Jackson
Warrant Officer

Post by Cyrus Jackson »

Triple post 8_
Last edited by Cyrus Jackson on Nov 13 2019, edited 2 times in total.
arakan94
Lieutenant

Post by arakan94 »

These are really, really nice!

Can I only get new 3D models and have them show in ongoing game?

BTW, is there any possibility that these models would be merged eventually with vanilla SRU? Have you talked with devs?

Also, did you consider possible merges with Zuikaku's mod or Enhanced Cold War? At least some features seem to overlap, which means duplication of effort..
Cyrus Jackson
Warrant Officer

Post by Cyrus Jackson »

arakan94 wrote: Nov 12 2019 These are really, really nice!

Can I only get new 3D models and have them show in ongoing game?

BTW, is there any possibility that these models would be merged eventually with vanilla SRU? Have you talked with devs?

Also, did you consider possible merges with Zuikaku's mod or Enhanced Cold War? At least some features seem to overlap, which means duplication of effort..
If you only want the 3D models, you need to open the DEFAULT.PICNUM file located in SRU/Graphics/Meshes with Notepad ++.

You can find all the new units I personally added at the bottom of the file starting at unit number 3500.
Nerei and Russ1000 units are spread around the file so it's harder to pinpoint them.
You need to add them to relevant units with the SRU the content manager.
You then need to recache the scenario. No ongoing game sadly.

I'm in contact with the Enhanced Cold War creator and looking at what could be merged.
Asked Zuikaku for the AIparam file(Integrated in 2.0), other than that, nothing more yet. It's probably not worth fully merging as I probably worked on the same area as Zuikaku.

About vanilla, devs refused the new models for vanilla as they consider them too high poly. Vanilla are ~700 poly, mine are ~4'000. (To give you a scale, a War Thunder tank is ~150'000 polys, higher for planes)
Nothing I personally can do about that.
Cyrus Jackson
Warrant Officer

Post by Cyrus Jackson »

So here it is as promised, Big changes for ships and submarines:
I corrected most sonars, radars and stealth ratings on Submarines/Ships. Stats were all over the place with some submarines greatly overperforming, other massively underperforming. I also added a few missing ship and submarine classes. Every vanilla sonars modified and new sonars I created were run through the game spotting equation to get the most realistic result.
No more WW2 subs evading modern sonars, yay! 8O

I also adjusted the speed of most submarines. Nuclear propulsion subs were way too slow. Finally, Submarines now use real torpedo range based on the armament available they had.

on the 3D side, Every US sub attack sub was remade+3 US workhorse cruisers of the Cold War.

Minor differences between the cruisers/submarines but they are here.
arakan94
Lieutenant

Post by arakan94 »

Cool changes.. If you are basing them of real-world numbers, then perhaps you could post the suggested numbers along with sources to Unit Errata post.. Devs would include it in a base game and you wouldn't have to merge changes with every update :)
Micheal Berg
Captain

Post by Micheal Berg »

Those Ships and Subs looks so tasty...when do we get to sink our teeth into them?
Cyrus Jackson
Warrant Officer

Post by Cyrus Jackson »

arakan94 wrote: Nov 13 2019 Cool changes.. If you are basing them of real-world numbers, then perhaps you could post the suggested numbers along with sources to Unit Errata post.. Devs would include it in a base game and you wouldn't have to merge changes with every update :)
It will be a lot of work to scan my books and will require from the Dev to change the stealth, attack range and sonar of pretty much every Cold War subs.
Couple that with the fact they are focusing on Galactic Ruler, I'm not sure they would be willing to go to such length.

To give you two examples:
1st: In vanilla, the Soviet 1950s Diesel subs can evade sonars from 1970s US destroyers which is absolutely wrong. The 1950s USSR Diesel subs were absolute crap closer to WW2 design than anything Cold War-related.
2nd: In vanilla, the Soviets subs, in general, have a much higher stealth rating than their NATO counterparts when it should be the complete opposite. Check this chart to have a vague idea:
And there are a ton more shenanigans than what I listed above. It would probably take a good hour just to list them all into a comprehensive list.

About updates merging, since I replaced almost every stats+added the needed missing units, I probably won't bother with the updated unit file from BG coming with the new update. I will most likely simply port over the current mod files straight over the upcoming update.
Micheal Berg wrote: Nov 14 2019 Those Ships and Subs looks so tasty...when do we get to sink our teeth into them?
If all goes according to plan, a Late November/Early December release might be possible instead of early January.
scougys
Warrant Officer

Post by scougys »

You have DEFAULT.UNIT file? Can you upload the file?

i need some edit unit in the mod

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”