Checksum on lobby join

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Viper151
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Checksum on lobby join

Post by Viper151 »

I've been meaning to write this topic for months now and I've finally found the time to do so.

Every time after a desysnc is encountered in multiplayer, the player with the problematic save will continue to desysnc the game after we rehost it, until the desynced save copy is deleted and reacquired. Of course this takes unnecessary time to narrow down, so my group of friends just tell everyone to delete their save and reacquired it from the host to fix the problem in a fast manor. Sometimes we have to revert back to older saves which as you can imagine can cause some anger among the players.

It appears that your "does this player have this save already" segment of code in multiplayer is flawed. It would be much better if the player saves were compared to the host's master save via checksum (MD5, SHA1, ect) and not by not by just looking at file names. There are various open sourced library's out there than can easily accomplish this task, however it would just require implementation.

This issue has become a major hassle in my group and appears to be the number 1 annoyance in our multiplayer games. Anyone familiar with SRU multiplayer games can attest to this issue aswell. We would appreciate very much if you could kindly look into this issue.

Sincerely,
Viper
Cold War Enhanced Mod: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=29123
Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/bYvRMUP
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Checksum on lobby join

Post by Balthagor »

While I appreciate the feedback, I don't think this will get high on our priority list.
Viper151 wrote: Nov 11 2019 It would be much better if the player saves were compared to the host's master save via checksum
Also, it would be much more complicated. When there is a mismatch in the checksum, who's savegame becomes the master, who's is discarded?
Viper151 wrote: Nov 11 2019 ...just tell everyone to delete their save and reacquired it from the host...
Yes, that's our suggestion as well
Viper151 wrote: Nov 11 2019 ...Sometimes we have to revert back to older saves...
Then your host needs to update their autosave settings to be "every day", then you'll never lose more than one day of progress.

While this may not be the ideal solution, consider that it took 10+ years just to get file transfer added to the engine.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”