Possible to bankrupt countries?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

KuzmaPT
Private
Human: Yes

Possible to bankrupt countries?

Post by KuzmaPT »

Debt is the killer of empires correct? Is it possible to re create in SRU so countries such as Soviet Empire or United States either turn into military coup, or colonies are released?
Traslogan
Lieutenant

Re: Possible to bankrupt countries?

Post by Traslogan »

As far as I can tell, there is no way for the AI to ever fall to a coup or uprising etc without it being scripted, and bankruptcy only kills them if they are at war, making them surrender (But most countries can simply borrow so much money it never happens).

Tbh it's one of the things that seriously irks me, since it means the AI is immune to so many ways of losing. They can't lose elections, they can't fall from lack of military approval, and their colonies will only release if scripted to do so at some point (e.g. encouraging independence of puerto rico will never make it leave the USA, even if you did it for 20 years).

It's just like how if you play any country in the cold-war start that has colonies, they will never leave as they just turn off events for the player's nation (so as britain you can just infinitely have your empire). The only exception to this is a bug with Burma leaving the british empire in the 1936 start but it doesn't become a british puppet (but it does if Britain is AI)
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Traslogan wrote: Aug 09 2019 (so as britain you can just infinitely have your empire).

I don't really see an issue :lol:
Traslogan
Lieutenant

Post by Traslogan »

Well sure it's not bad for world conquest etc, but these countries also can never properly develop without you micro-managing them, you can't see exactly how much goods they do produce, even if they produce an excess they will give it to you instead of profiting at all (And you can't ask them not to / not do it fully, which is a shame, because that would be a decent depiction of British overseas territories in the modern day I think), so you are kind of generating resources in the dark, whilst having to micromanage a bunch of economies that aren't going to give you warnings that they're going bankrupt, and can't really control their spending or even give directive. Sometimes it's small things like the Falklands simply cannot make money nor even provide a good enough standard of living to not have permanent emigration in any start (And if you develop them, they lack the people), but take British Middle-East in the Cold-War, Bahrain and Kuwait are the richest countries on the planet in sheer GDP, and developing their oil industry will only maintain that, but they are permanently bankrupt, constantly borrowing, and unable to maintain even a mediocre approval.

The fact the Colonies cannot produce a military can be quite strange too. I actually understand why that is the case, but you can only give them units from your reserve, you can't even just send units over, select them and then transfer over, and if diplomatic merchant marine is on then gg trying to get troops to the British Raj before Japan decides to extend the rising sun.

Tbh the biggest problem is that this means you cannot play France or Britain in Cold War and have historical play out. If you play Britain/France, you get no event for the suez crisis, so Israel just runs in solo against Nassar in the late-50s, and then none of your colonies will split off naturally (Even just decisions to accept or deny their desire for independence would work wonders here), and many nations that are in Africa are not on the map in the cold-war start until the game's events actually intentionally form those nations out of the old colonies (e.g. French Equatorial Africa / West Africa, the 3 Somali-lands, the fact that Eritrea is meant to transfer to Ethiopia, etc etc).
I've not made it to the 80s without a victory or just starting afresh yet as Britain, so I'm unsure if the Falklands war even takes place either (Though the Argentinian AI will not develop military research without being at war so it would probably invade with mid-1930s tanks anyway)

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”