SRU: mid cold war starts

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

an2255
Sergeant
Human: Yes

SRU: mid cold war starts

Post by an2255 »

Something that I have wanted since the supreme ruler cold war days is more cold war starts. we have multiple world war two starts with 36 ,40,41 and 42 but only one cold war start 49. It would be nice to have some more sandbox starts between 1949 and 2017. I have always wanted to see a 1960s start with the Vietnam war and the six day war. Or possibly a 1980s start with the Falklands war and the soviet war in Afghanistan
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: SRU: mid cold war starts

Post by Balthagor »

an2255 wrote: Jan 05 2019 ...It would be nice to have some more sandbox starts between 1949 and 2017...
This has been discussed before. Each "start" is a massive amount of work (ie. a whole new game). To get a 60's start point, we need new borders, orbats, relationships, leaders, roads/rails, industries, economic baselines and events. That's not something we have the resources to create (at least not for free).
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Clubfoot55
Warrant Officer

Post by Clubfoot55 »

The Falklands Islands scenario has a mostly complete 1982 start date. Couldn't that just be moved to the sandbox section as a new cold war start?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The 1982 Falklands scenario most certainly is not. The UK and Argentine navies and airforces have next to no relation to the actual navies and airforces from that war. The armies are probably no better but I did not bother to check.
The Argentine Navy is actually 100% wrong and that is only slightly worse than the Royal Navy.
It is actually a bit hilarious just how bad they are.

From what I can tell they are also the only ones with any units on the map and the unit designs of both the UK and its allies appears to be fairly close to what I would expect from 1949. The argentine roster though appears to be based on 1914 or 1917 given the 4 Garibaldis of which 2 where retired by 1936.

Really to the best I can tell you would get nearly the same result if you played 1949 without units and the date set to 1982.

I have to admit that it is possible there are events that makes it less terrible. I cannot say as I did not play it beyond a few days given the outright horrible nature of the starting roster making me lose hope that this would be anything related to the actual Falklands war.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Balthagor wrote: Jan 05 2019
an2255 wrote: Jan 05 2019 ...It would be nice to have some more sandbox starts between 1949 and 2017...
This has been discussed before. Each "start" is a massive amount of work (ie. a whole new game). To get a 60's start point, we need new borders, orbats, relationships, leaders, roads/rails, industries, economic baselines and events. That's not something we have the resources to create (at least not for free).
A Falklands 1982 start is a DLC I would definitely pay for :-)
bob12222
Sergeant

Post by bob12222 »

How about now that there is a map and scenario creator/editor you create a mid cold war start like 1963 cuban missile crisis or 1970 or 1967, 1977, etc. I wish I could help but my PC is program all I have is a Mac. I'm sure you could create a team of people who could help you.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The mapeditor does not solve the issues mentioned above in this thread; new borders, orbats, relationships, leaders, roads/rails, industries, economic baselines and events

We always had a mapeditor, it's just publicly available now. If Modders want to do it...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
bob12222
Sergeant

Post by bob12222 »

e
Balthagor wrote: Jul 23 2019 The mapeditor does not solve the issues mentioned above in this thread; new borders, orbats, relationships, leaders, roads/rails, industries, economic baselines and events

We always had a mapeditor, it's just publicly available now. If Modders want to do it...
Oh okay and you're not even including the technology levels of each country too (that has to be changed and updated), Events, and the number of military units the country has.! What about making it a DLC. You guys had enough money to make a few World war I sandbox dates, a whole new game called the Supreme Ruler the Great war, which was also offered as a DLC to people who have Supreme Ruler Ultimate.

So I don't mean to be rude or anything but I feel like its a poor excuse though. If you have the money and resources do it for the World War I era, then you should have enough to do it for a later cold war start!! Who Agrees with me?

Excuses are the nails that build the house of failure.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

bob12222 wrote: Jul 24 2019 ..If you have the money and resources do it for the World War I era, then you should have enough to do it for a later cold war start!!
The business case for the WWI DLC (which was not free) was that there are few WWI strategy games on the market. The creative case was that we wanted to try making a WWI game.

For us to make a Cold War DLC, we would need to be confident we would bring in more money than the development costs us and we would need to be interested in that era.

Since we haven't announced the next project yet, I can't provide you either our business analysis or our current mood...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
bob12222
Sergeant

Post by bob12222 »

Balthagor wrote: Jul 24 2019
bob12222 wrote: Jul 24 2019 ..If you have the money and resources do it for the World War I era, then you should have enough to do it for a later cold war start!!
The business case for the WWI DLC (which was not free) was that there are few WWI strategy games on the market. The creative case was that we wanted to try making a WWI game.

For us to make a Cold War DLC, we would need to be confident we would bring in more money than the development costs us and we would need to be interested in that era.

Since we haven't announced the next project yet, I can't provide you either our business analysis or our current mood...
True true. There is no such thing as a free lunch. I know the WWI was a DLC which cost money, and made into a separate game which cost money too. To know if it's worth any monetary value how about you make a survey here in the forum, on Twitter on facebook, ask fans/users What kind of game should you make first, see what people think. I'm sure there are a-lot of people out there like myself who would want this to happen.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Not necessary, we're already developing the next game. We've finished our business case analysis and decided what we want to make. We're going to be making...

Oops! It's garbage night. Hold that thought...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
bob12222
Sergeant

Post by bob12222 »

Balthagor wrote: Jul 24 2019 Not necessary, we're already developing the next game. We've finished our business case analysis and decided what we want to make. We're going to be making...

Oops! It's garbage night. Hold that thought...
Oh okay. When will you tell us what the next game will be?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

As soon as our marketing team determines our announcement schedule...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”