building troll/exploit in multiplayer

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

barkhauer
Colonel

building troll/exploit in multiplayer

Post by barkhauer »

During tonight's dev-started multiplayer game, I was playing as Ohio, fighting against human-player Texas. When the war started going badly for him, he didn't bother to fight harder, he instead would continuously place orbital launch pad (and thus aerospace engineering and military complex) build orders in order to trigger bankruptcy for me when the day would tick and eat funding for the construction he had placed.

Compounding the headache was Ohio's lack of tech to build orbital launch pad, meaning they didn't appear in the build list, and thus couldn't be mass scrapped without manually find and right-clicking on each of them, while he spammed a total of 387 such builds before quitting the game.

Cleanup required another player to trade my tech so that I could get the "cancel construction" widget to appear in the UI. This does not address the $100bns that vanished before his spammed build orders could be canceled.

Suggestion: Any captured construction less than 10% complete should simply be deleted. The point of the exploit/troll was to use construction like a "land mine". Alternatively, make the theater do-not-repair apply to captured construction (though this still leaves the trolled player having to potentially research tech in order to perform a mass-cancel before repairing captured facilities)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: building troll/exploit in multiplayer

Post by Balthagor »

I gotta say, that's kinda funny :lol:

This would definitely be an exploit. Another solution if you see this happening is immediately pause the game. Use chat to get other players to agree that it's a crappy move. If the player refuses to be more sportsman like, the host could kick them. With the new MP improvements, that's now an option...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
barkhauer
Colonel

Post by barkhauer »

Since I was both the trolled player, and the host, I felt conflicted about kicking them.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

You're much too nice ;)

And that's from a Canadian! 8)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

"Added scrap all node facilities in hex, accessible through UI (Hotkey <Ctrl> + <Shift> + <Z>)"
maybe remap that function to some easy accessible button like xbutton1 (4th / thumb / back button)

nice that you could play multiplayer - i visitied the lobby several times and not a single game there :cry:
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We had good success posting on Discord and our social media a few hours before starting. When the update goes public, hopefully more people will be curious to try some MP games.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”