Please change the range for the F35A.

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Schmidty
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Please change the range for the F35A.

Post by Schmidty »

The f35 A currently has a range of 1,035KMsin game. That is way too low. It's actual range is 1,397 miles. This is a 2,219 KMs range. So please approximately the range for the F35A. This is according to Google if you search "f35A range." The range on the mig 34 firebug which is an f35 basically with almost the same stats has 3000 KMs range in game. Much cheaper as well.
Nerei
General

Re: Please change the range for the F35A.

Post by Nerei »

Change the F-35B and F-35C while you are at it they are similarly broken.

According to the Australian airforce the combat radius of the F-35A is 1093km. This is surprisingly similar to what BG has set as MovementRange (1082).
Chances are BG found a source that listed combat radius and mixed it up with total range.
The RAAF also lists a total range of 2200km.
RAAF F-35A specifications page

Looking a bit around I found this fancy PDF that lists different combat radii for the CTOL (A), STOVL (B) and CV (C) variant. Page 18 has some ranges listed with different radii for different loadouts. (Multiply with 1,852 to convert NM to km)
This document is hosted by FAS.org. Not the worst source to rely upon.

Converting NM to km and taking into account these are combat radii we get a total combat range for the different versions of:

F-35A range: 2185.36km - 2555.76km

F-35B range: 1666.8km - 2037.2km

F-35C range: 2222.4km - 2703.92km

The F-35A values fit pretty well with the ones from the RAAF. Given that and overall the source of the document I would say we can probably rely on it being not terrible.

As the game does not support different loadouts I would say pick a nice round value somewhere in the middle of these ranges
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I'm pretty sure our standards say for us to use combat range as range. If we make it 1093km, then it can go out 1093 before heading home but can reach another airbase that is 2186km away.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The numbers are a bit all over the place but if you can fly twice the MovementRange it means the B-2A can basically fly around the world (and some bombers totally will be able to do it) and the B-52 will have twice its ferry range when rebasing as it's MovementRange is its ferry range.
The F-14 will also be somewhat above its ferry range as will some models of F-15 and F/A-18.
The mig-25 be nearly at twice its ferry range if that is how it works as will the Mig-31.

If you can get this clarified it would be good as some aircraft have their ferry range as MovementRange (e.g. B-52's), some have basically twice their combat radii as MovementRange (e.g. B-47B/E) and some have their combat radii as MovementRange (e.g. F-35's and RB-47E).
The B-47 models are actually interesting as the bombers have twice their combat radii as MovementRange while the recon variant has it as total MovementRange
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Last edited by YoMomma on Jun 30 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Gameplay 1st
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

YoMomma wrote: Jun 08 2019 What Balth is saying here is they have double standards.
Another blatant lie. We have 1 standard, I just don't remember what it is and will have to look it up, but we did establish a standard and tried to stick to it. Perhaps when we make mistakes they are not some big conspiracy to make your particular game play less enjoyable...

And the Wikipedia is not our only source, it often has incorrect data.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

For the record I use other sources than wikipedia regularly, hence why I am using a US report on FAS and the Australian Airforce website in this case.

Personally I see this as a case of miscommunications somewhere in the process of adding unit designs. If it is like mr Latour says then I got MovementRange of aircraft wrong and I am fairly certain I am not the only one. Actually I am quite certain someone adding units did too.

Again it is pretty simple to see from the examples I found as I can tell you that if MovementRange is combat radius then F-15 and B-52 ranges are way more optimistic than what the US Air Forces homepage tells us.
In the case of the B-52 it is off by around 19000km.

The B-47 MovementRange is also a perfect match with what wikipedia tells us the combat radius is times two while the RB-47 MovementRange is this exact number.
Also according to FAS both aircraft have a range of around 4000NM or around 7400km so it is not a case of the RB just having shorter range. It really looks like someone added the bomber variants of the B-47 with twice the combat radius while someone else added the recon variant with the combat radius as MovementRange.

My problem is not that either system is wrong. Both can work just fine and I have no objections to either. The problem is that mixing them means some aircraft will either have too short or too long range depending on how the system works and really that is the current situation as highlighted by the above aircraft.
Also not knowing how it works means it is not even possible to report errors when we find them as really we do not know the system works.

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”