3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

auxilia
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by auxilia »

Nerei, thanks for your work! Where can I find models that are not in the main game?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The first place to start is probably the google spreadsheet I have made documenting the models.
It is not 100% up-to-date but what is missing you can probably find in the last 5 pages or so of this thread
spreadsheet link

Not sure if I have specifically linked to the github repository on it but if not here is the link.
github link
Again however note that some of the models on github are beta stage and only got basic grey texturing.
Other than that the files that are not included in the game already should all be found in the November 2018 and 2018_02_RC_01/july-ish 2018 files. The files in those two rar archives should only contain completed models.

Also these should all be installed chronologically so July 2018 => November 2018 => Github to ensure any file updates are applied properly.
auxilia
Sergeant

Post by auxilia »

I do not quite understand how to install all this into the game?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

First off remember to make backups of files before modifying them.

The graphics folder goes into the [SR root]/graphics folder and the graphics/meshes folder goes into the [SR root]/graphics/meshes folder.
The contents of the picnums.txt files is appended to the default.picnums file found in [SR root]/graphics/meshes. This file can be opened by the asset manager or any text editor.

What model the game connects to what unit design is controlled by the picnums value in default.unit which is the file defining unit designs. The file is found in [SR root]/maps/data.
Picnums is the fourth value from the left.

The ID given in the spreadsheet I linked is the same as the picnums ID needed here. E.g. if you want to use the "Akagi" model you change picnums of a unit design to 1536.

For these change to actually show up in-game you need to recache.
Start the game and select whatever starting date you want to recache. In the scenario settings check force recache option and start the selected sandbox/scenario/campaign. It will hang for some time while the game recaches. Once done recaching the game should start with these changes.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I have tried to make a few cold war era European vehicles. Yes I am writing the B1 Centauro under that label despite it entering service around 1991.
These still have a long way to go. The grey vehicles have not even been properly UV mapped yet and the Chieftain needs details on the turret still. I might also change the Centauro a bit with spaced turret armour etc.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

looking good the B1 Centauro is most likley useful for quite a few models as a better fit than what we get standard
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Well the Centauro will be useable as a B1 Centauro at least. I have a few other 8 wheeled tank destroyers like the M1128 Stryker MGS or Type 16 MCV so it is not the only option. There is also an incomplete ZTL-11 and I do want to make a few other semi-modern wheeled tank destroyers at some point.

Here is an updated version of the Centauro with a few more details added (both mesh and texture). The main difference is that it now has the additional spaced armour on the turret as well as smoke mortars.
Little shading done so far and most on that rendering is done by Maya. In-game the vehicle would mostly just be a green blob.

The turret is too far off centre lengthwise to properly revolve so I am simply not going to make it do that. I have added proper locking brackets to it instead to represent the barrel being locked in place for transport.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

With PLAN having celebrated it's 70 year birthday a few days ago and with one of the centrepieces being the Nanchang, the first of the new Type 055 guided missile destroyers, I thought I would take a shot at making one.
Also there is starting to be a lot more actual pictures of this class which makes it easier.
Shading and some superstructure details still to go.
All things considered this model has been fairly simple to make so far. The tris count is quite low compared to most other recent models I have made which I guess is partly down to the design removing a lot of deck items to reduce the radar signature.

Also yes this is another model that does not have an actual unit design in-game (the Type 055 in-game is a fictive, futuristic vessel). I guess it is almost at the point where I will have to try and write up unit designs to go with these.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Quick small update. Hopefully I will have some more substantial sometime in May (I plan to have content that require a recompile such as new models to come in bigger batches).
Added F, U and generic textures for the KC-135. M and generic for the Handley Page Victor. Added H, J, K, U and generic textures for the F-35A

Link
No preview right now
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Here is a render of some of the models I hope to have ready sometime in May. It includes the already released textures for the F-35A, KC-135 and Victor.
Also yes there is a lot of Hercules. The rear row is intended as KC-130's but all texture variants should all be serviceable as both a regular C-130 and KC-130
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I have tried to make a more complete release version on the github repository. It should include the previous two dropbox archives but not any models with incomplete textures
link
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

that herc looks mega well worth the wait :D
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

With a bit of luck I will have the directx files converted, UGBITS rendered and picnums written in a few days. That is assuming I do not get sidetracked experimenting which tends to happen.
Also there are a few more done textures and models

I have also been experimenting a bit with maya building incandescence maps based on the cameras. Basically with a bit of luck it means it can do most fake lighting.
Here is a comparison between Mayas version
And basically just flat colours.
It is not perfect.
The program is not happy with overlapping UV which I have a few cases of I might be able to cheese that or just manually edit it. Likewise I probably want to manually adjust objects such as the main cannon to have more of a gradual lighting change to better simulate a round and not 8 sided barrel.
Overall though I am fairly happy with it given that it takes 5 minutes to make which is nothing compared to doing it manually.

Also the colours are a template I have decided to use for UV mapping to better make models compatible with each other. Really it is a way to help with say swapping turrets on models and still having them be able to use regional textures.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Here is the Leopard 1 with a bit more work done. The shading is nearly 100% made by Maya using lightmaps. The only real thing I have done is editing it a bit in places where it made glitches due to overlapping UV's.
Again without these the model would largely be a blob like the example above only worse as it is single tone.

I am actually starting to be fairly happy with the results I can get from Maya and using the same setup it will be more consistent than if I do it manually. Also it is so much faster.
I might do away with the turret shadow and instead make blob shadows in this case as it might end up with a revolving turret and the shadows will naturally not update but that is just a matter of making them separately for the turret and base.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Most of the models and texture updates in the last few renders have been added to the repository. UGBITS are not done yet but will come over the next few days hopefully. Given that default now is 3D models instead of UGBITS icons I guess that is acceptable temporarily.
Note: Like the rest these are not extensively tested and there might be issues.

This should be most of the changes but there might be a few I have missed.

UNIT 1655 - P3 Orion, added KVU regional textures
UNIT 1666 - S573 Yushio, mesh updated, texture: Jsub01.dds - texture updated, no regional variants
UNIT 1686 - JS Asahi, model added, texture: JKVn_tx.dds - texture updated, no regional variants
UNIT 1708 - PLAN Type 055 Destroyer, model added, texture: CQRn_tx.dds - texture updated, no regional variants
UNIT 1710 - PLAN Type 054A Frigate, model added, texture: CQRn_tx.dds - texture updated, no regional variants
UNIT 1783 - Leopard 1A4 MBT, model added, texture: Leo1A4_tx.dds - texture added, regional variants G (for now)
UNIT 1845 - F35A, Added base and HJKU regional textures
UNIT 1847 - KC-130 Hercules Aerial tanker, model added, texture: KC130_tx.dds, regional variants IJMUZ
UNIT 1848 - C-130 Hercules, model added, texture: C130_tx.dds, regional variants FHIJKMQUVZ
UNIT 1906 - P8 Poseidon/Neptune, added base and regional textures KMQU
UNIT 1911 - YF-23, model added, texture: YF23_tx.dds, regional variants J (intended to mainly represent Northrup Grummans JASDF F-3 suggestion)
UNIT 1912 - F35B, adapted model 1845/F35A with picnums calling a new texture, regional variants JU (for now)
UNIT 1956 - Type 73 Kyu light truck MG variant, model added, texture J73MG_tx.dds, regional variants J
UNIT 1960 - Type 73 APC, model added, texture J73APC_tx.dds, regional variants J
UNIT 1961 - Isuzu Type 73 heavy truck, model added, texture J73H_tx.dds, regional variants J
UNIT 1962 - Type 73 Kyu light truck 64MAT variant, model added, texture J73M64_tx.dds, regional variants J
UNIT 1962 - Type 74 Nana-Yon mod A MBT, model added, texture J74A_tx.dds, regional variants J
UNIT 1963 - Type 74 Nana-Yon mod E MBT, model added, texture J74E_tx.dds, regional variants J
UNIT 1973 - Soryu alternate model, model added, texture jsub01.dds, no regional variants (mainly intended as late model Soryu)
UNIT 1974 - Virginia block V, model added, texture wsub01.dds, no regional variants (Virginia SSN with 4 canister Virginia Payload Module)

None of the tanks have revolving turrets as these are have XZ offsets from the scene origin meaning they would not work properly

link

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”