Rise of FINLAND

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

SteamSupreme
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Rise of FINLAND

Post by SteamSupreme »

Rise of FINLAND
Hmm sound similar to an introduction thread recently posted, but so appropriate

Testing a mod 5x $CASH$ mod that is 5x money, petrol, UR, to build for all units except ships, 5x increased Industrial goods to build complexes so I'm less tempted to build them as AI does not, and for experimental purposes gave all cargo planes and vehicles 20x range since I was annoyed about units out of supply all over the place.
Also made Merchant Marine NOT required to dock to unload since they seem so frequently to get stuck on coast or a river hex across from a target city and are unable to proceed.

Started as Britain, 1942 World in FLAMES

Germany conquered the USSR and bored into China and took over Iran and Iraq. They are going gangbusters
German ships ply around the British Isles and all manner of navy skirmishes are taking place for the most part I set up trade deals and let the AI handle all else.
Could not get the highest alliance with the US, only a mutual defense treaty.
Went to bed in 1943 and returned to 1954 LOST ELECTION.
Continued as dictator just to see what the world looked like.

The British Islands were still intact, just the way I left it several hours earlier.

Shards of France, as circular islands of territory, drifted throughout the German occupied country. The Resistance LIVES.

The United States did respond at last to the mutual defense treaty, invading Morocco, however US forces were supply stalled in west part of North Africa.

Hey WAIT

WHAT are all these BLUE CROSS flags bannered across Western USSR?!?
FINNS!!!
Apparently FINLAND percolated, then howled out of the reindeer tundra to snag Leningrad then Moscow all the way down to Romania. In fact, the German Reich is cut in two, a vast amount of Germany on the other side in the east up to the borders of China unconnected EXCEPT where German controlled USSR meets the east Romanian border!

Germany is by no means on the ropes with plenty of money and more units than Finland, but is scattered and a re-emergent USSR under Stalin was formed in the Northeast. Because of Supply, Germany cannot easily get up there, even with 20x supply vehicle and aircraft range. By the map territory pattern, it looked like the USSR was working at reclaiming some of its land as a result of the Finland captures.

Yes, anything in this game happens. Once in another 1942 game German occupied France with PARIS was taken over by TURKEY, no George C Scott in sight. Did not last long as Germany swiftly reoccupied.

In checking unit counts, most large nations were in the 500-1000 unit count, so overall the 5x mod is a success with nations building and plundering as normal but without a zillion units to manage(which is the goal of the mod). I shall probably cut the range of cargo aircraft / trucks down to 5x, more than vanilla however 20x is too extreme. While I think extended range of the supply airplanes/ trucks helped, there is a point where they still get stuck for the lack of supply... Cargo capacity is 5x to reflect the condensing of the units but make up for the 5x petrol they require. The AI Merchant Marine seemed to have performed fine, I did not see them jammed up, unable to unload as no dock nearby; they would go into a river, transform into land units, portage across some isthmus then turn back into ships and ply along merrily...
Leafgreen
Colonel

Re: Rise of FINLAND

Post by Leafgreen »

A mod that makes it more difficult. I like that.
"That's O'neill, with two l's"
(Holds up 3 fingers)
bowtie
Lieutenant

Post by bowtie »

Can you tell how you changed merchant marine to not require docking to unload? That seems like it would fix a couple problems...I know i've had problems with that, instanbul and mayalsia areas comes to mind...and as long as the merchant marine AI is still trying to path from dock-to-dock, it wont be a game breaker.
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Im 90% sure troops will unload at random spots? That was also a big problem in the past.
Gameplay 1st
SteamSupreme
Lieutenant

Post by SteamSupreme »

YoMomma wrote: Jul 12 2018 Im 90% sure troops will unload at random spots? That was also a big problem in the past.
The mod posted here
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29241

Try it out a largely AI controlled game letting it run overnight for a decade or two.
Should maintain integrity as a vanilla except less units and less getting stuck ( the latter we can hope).

EDIT Running an AI controlled game as England then switched to Germany (twice already in different games Germany successfully invades England in 1939) then switched to Germany; and do not see the troops unloaded at random spots. This might be because there are a lot LESS to go around, however at this stage they are not scattered, some of that may be supply related (they are dropped off and no supply to go further). Italians are quite active and seem to be doing well.

A 1942 start might be better as in the first post as deployments are committed on all fronts.

Return to “After Action Reports”