Suggestion, let countries trade non tradeable techs to colonies

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Cdiplayer
Colonel
Human: Yes

Suggestion, let countries trade non tradeable techs to colonies

Post by Cdiplayer »

I must admit, I get rather annoyed that my colonies always lag so far behind in tech. I'm already using hovercraft and my colony hasn't even researched power grid I yet. Trading non tradeable techs to colonies would also be realistic, European nations gave their colonies all kinds of tech in real life, including some that, in the game, are not tradeable.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Re: Suggestion, let countries trade non tradeable techs to colonies

Post by GIJoe597 »

The only way I am aware of to get around that issue currently, is to build Research Centers in your Colony. The hex will become yours, you will bear the cost. Once they are done, annex the colony, then release. Now conquer the free nation and Colonize. This makes a colony with as much research centers as you built. You will have to subsidize them from here on out, more than likely.

This is convoluted and degrades your international reputation, but it works.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Totally brainstorming, but I wonder if we could add a treaty to give money allocated to research. A research grant...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

YES PLEASE BALTHAGOR.
And trading non-tradeable techs wouldn't make any sense since most of those techs are about IMPLEMENTATION (like building highways).
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

What benefits would a Research Grant give? Currently we can set a 90 day deal with a colony to give them X amount of money a day, which can help fund research. We keep renewing that as required. I think the larger issue is the small amount of research slots available to most colonies. Perhaps the Grant could be tied to boosting Research in that colony, regardless of available slots? The theory being, the Parent is passing along all info techs which greatly increases or speeds up the amount of Research the colony may complete. Heck, even allow the Parent to designate X number of its own Research slots to contribute to the Colonies Research and/or speed. *shrugs*

Granted, if you conquer and Colonize a major nation, they may have adequate Research Facilities already.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

I like the ideas of giving small countries more chances to research. It sux when you're in 2045 (starting 2020) and everyone except USA are nearly cavemen :P

Giving money to countries does not neceserily make them put it to research and it's not what a research grant is so additional mechanics could work.

a parent country sharing it's blueprints sounds very logical. It surely takes less time to invent something a new, through experimentation, theory writing... than using a blueprint + proof of concept + already written theory...
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

To me this is weird. So a colony can research stuff faster then the Netherlands, one of the most advanced countries in the world.
Gameplay 1st
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The problem with research is fundamentally in the way it works. The US has something like 19 slots in 2020 and no matter if you have 2 or 12 you will lose the research race to them. Rubber banding research the way it works in game is also going to be tricky.

That said could a research grant be something as simple as borrowing research slots?
There naturally needs to be checks so I cannot trade 7 if I only have 4 and the deals needs to be cancelled if you lose too many research centres but I suspect many of these checks exist in some for already and it could possibly add something and not just for colonies.

It might also create some of the framework to ultimately have international projects such as ITER or CERN.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Nerei wrote:... US has something like 19 slots in 2020...
True, but last I'd looked there was really a maximum effect of about 7 centres for techs, that because of dependencies you just end up waiting for other things to finish. You could research units though.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Well yes but unit research is not exactly unimportant and should definitely be factored into the total number of research centres needed.
Also going by the manual additional idle research centres will help your active centres so the 19 research centre US will still beat an opponent that just has enough.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

IIRC there is a diminishing return on that.

Another factor here would be that total investment in research is limited by the size of your economy/population IIRC. So even if you give colony X 20M$ it can still only spend a percentage of that per day. A research treaty could be used to make the limit based on the combined economy. That would provide a small benefit to the bigger region.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
mikeownage
Colonel

Post by mikeownage »

Could you perhaps add the ability to manage the colonies R&D as I'd like to be able to control what they research? for instance when you right click on a colony hex and go to R&D you see their R&D queue rather then your own? You would see your own for any of your territory or counties that are not yours.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

You're talking about an entirely new UI there. Right clicking alone wouldn't solve the problem, the engine would need to know when to populate what data. There are no resources to allocate to development of this size.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”