3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

scougys
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by scougys »

Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Making a T-72 without ERA would be fairly simple. The side blocks can just be removed and the blocks on the main hull and turret are just texture effects that can be turned off. The Russian camouflage pattern will need to be adjusted in part to make the two vehicles distinct but also as the ERA blocks are painted in a single colour and thus will look off without these.
Generally removing parts of a model is very easy compared to adding them. I have also considered making an M1 Abrams without the TUSK II kit.
Also yes I do intend to leave room for a radome on the CV90.

As for the B-52 I am aware that there already is a model. There is also one of the Oliver Hazard Perry and Iowa for that matter. I generally do not consider if there already are a model of a unit especially if they most likely date back to 2020 or CW.

I am not going to try and give a timeline as to when I might do infantry other than maybe finishing off the few I already have but those are not exactly modern.
I have a few ideas as to how to make them and also some I want to cover but that is for later. For now my priority is cleaning up already in progress models.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

I`ve tried the new units in game and I suggest the following unit sizes:

Su-27 - 0.082
Type 03 Chu-SAM - 0.055
MIM-104 - 0.065
M1126 ICV - 0.049
M1128 MGS - 0.05

This after comparing the Su-27 to the Su-34, the M1126 and M1128 to the LAV-25 and the MIM-104 and Type 03 to the S-300 (which in turn was set by comparison to the vanilla 9K58 Smerch).
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I will get the picnums entries updated

Also some progress on a few US Navy vessels
The strike cruiser is largely as it should be. The Iowa class battleship obviously still need some work. Also the Iowa is a fairly high detail model only outdone by my Aegis equipped Yamato. Being a battleship though I consider it one of the unit types least in need of massive tris count optimisation.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Back in SR2020 days I was happy I could sorta know what units there were on the map. We`re getting to the level of a Panzer General nowadays. :-)

I have a question. How does SRU depict insurgent units? Simply as some sort of militia on foot? Are there any Technicals (Toyota and such)?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I have only ever seen the Kalashnikov armed rebel unit and very rarely at that. Admitted almost all my playtime for the last 6-8 months or so have been related to modding so I am not sure how much that is saying.
Technicals though might make for interesting units that could serve as cheap improvised scout units for irregular armies and possibly even a stopgap measure for less advanced armies in say Africa or the mid-east. It should not be too hard to make and any regional texture set could simply be different colours for the pickup truck.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Nerei wrote:Snip
They look really nice. :-)
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Nerei wrote:I have only ever seen the Kalashnikov armed rebel unit and very rarely at that.
But in that case what is there in Libya, Syria and so on?
Technicals though might make for interesting units that could serve as cheap improvised scout units for irregular armies and possibly even a stopgap measure for less advanced armies in say Africa or the mid-east.
I agree. A Toyota truck with some sort of AA gun would be quite nice.

Btw, adding the Merlin was quite a wise move. I`ve looked on the list of helicopters (as it was in SRCW) and many of them are actually doubles or unused.
UGBITS1 :
27 - KA50TX.dds - Kamov Ka-50
28 - MI35TX.dds - Mil Mi-24 Hind
30 - PHA-2TX.dds - Eurocopter Tiger probably
57 - COMANTX.dds - RAH-66 Comanche probably
62 - CH-47TX.png - CH-47 Chinook
67 - AH-1STX.dds - AH-1 Cobra
76 - uses 80
80 - BHAWKTTX.png - SA 330 Puma ? - does not look like the UH-60 Black Hawk
81 - CH53TX.dds - CH-53 Sea Stallion
82 - APACHTXT.dds - AH-64D Apache Longbow
83 - BHAWKTX.png - UH-60 Black Hawk
105 - uses 82
106 - uses 80
122 - BHAWKTTX.png - UH-60 Black Hawk - slightly different from 83?
203 - uses 122
204 - SEASPRTX.dds - SH-2 Seasprite
225 - not used.
226 - OH-58TX.png - OH-58 Kiowa
227 - uses 80
228 - HUEYTX.png - UH-1 Huey
229 - MI18TX.png - Mil Mi-8 ?
230 - ALLOUETT.dds - SA 316 Alouette III
231 - there is no 231 mesh for this and the ID is not used in the equipment file! - UGBIT looks just like 80
232 - there is no 232 mesh for this and the ID is not used in the equipment file! - UGBIT looks just like 57
252 - uses 83
254 - URVTX.png - some sort of unmanned/drone helicopter

UGBITS2 :
265 - uses 254
273 - CRWHTX.png - some sort of future helicopter?
274 - ROTORLTX.png - something from the future?
495 - S-51TX.dds - Sikorsky H-5 (S-51 variant probably)
Fortunately there aren`t that many helicopter types around that look very different from what we have (counting the ones you`re producing) and are in wide military use. Probably a handful.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

To be fair scougys suggested the Merlin.

With regards to civil wars I have not noticed anything in Libya at all. Really most places seem fairly calm though I could have missed something.
Daesh however does exist as a separate entity and does have some guerilla troops but from what I can tell cannot build any so as soon as they run out they are just a regular arab country. Their initial force is made up of militia, guerilla, towed 105mm artillery, some T-72 and motorised infantry.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

If you were to add a Technical what class would you put it in? Infantry or recon?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Recon. They are really just motorised cavalry units and should be used as such. Their strength is their speed not really their endurance or raw damage output.
With Anti-tank weapons they can try and take on armour sure but generally speaking they should lose such fights.
Their mobility is also largely wasted on trying to take a heavily fortified position.

Scouting, cutting off supply lines, helping to encircle enemy forces, hitting enemy support units is really the things they should do and I would say that is more a recon unit than infantry.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Ok, I`ve made an entry for such a thing (don`t feel pressured to produce the graphics though :-) ). I`ve started with the vanilla Motorcycle Recon, modified to reflect the Toyota Hilux with ZU-23-2 AA gun. It is available worldwide and has no tech prerequisite. Cost to build is somewhat problematic given that these could be second hand civilian vehicles and old AA guns, both from captured stocks or black market. Temporarily it is using the graphics of the vanilla infantry Jeep. The unit ID should be unique as of the latest SRCW patch.

Let me know what you think when you have some time to look at it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

ID 1023 is still free.
Having a fairly decent stealth rating is probably a good idea as it can simulate it better blending in with civilian vehicles. It is also decidedly substandard compared to tanks, IFV, APC's and the like which it arguably should be. I would personally consider increasing the build time to make that a limiting factor and prevent our friendly neighbourhood African warlords from building too many of them without making their maintenance a huge drain.
All of this though is just from looking at stats and doing very minor testing. More testing might reveal more.
I do however wonder how to best implement it in terms of technology and region groups as having the say the US, UK or USSR even consider building them would be wrong in so many ways.

Also some more 3D models
I have been working a bit more on missile weapons. As mentioned in another thread I find there to be a lack of freefall nuclear bomb designs so I decided to try and make some models. I might at some point also make some designs to go with them. Add say a Mk 6 and these should cover the first 8-10 years for the US fairly well.
Also I decided to make an ASM 2 and XASM 3 to go with the SSM 1B

A bit more work done on the Iowa (yes I know it is Missouri I might do more versions later). Most work however has gone into the San Antonio class LPD.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

I do however wonder how to best implement it in terms of technology and region groups as having the say the US, UK or USSR even consider building them would be wrong in so many ways.
Unfortunately I do not know how SRU handles insurgents. I do not know if they just spawn in certain conditions or if they are basically regular factions.

Nice selection of weapons. I was wondering what happened to the MOAB. :-) Also, I`m not really a naval enthusiast, but I do like the San Antonio. It`s quite different from the graphics we have in vanilla. Speaking of which, do we currently have a missile boat that could represent one of the modern designs, like the one Israel has in use?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sa%27ar_4 ... ssile_boat
From what I remember, the generic patrol boat we had in vanilla looked more like the Norwegian Skjold-class:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skjold_class_patrol_boat
And that`s way too distinctive to stand for more conventional designs.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

It would not just be for rebels. It is a vehicle that has some value for say more irregular african armies. It is an acceptable light cavalry unit after all. Chad had good usage of them during their war with Libya in the 1980's and I think they need such a unit represented better than just "motorised infantry" units.

I was mainly thinking if it was possible to do something with un-tradable technologies and perhaps some events.
This is just speculation though and ultimately I think it is better if I just focus on models instead of trying to build a substandard mod. There are people far better at actually building functional content than me.

I have not checked all warship models in detail but I do not think there is any small missile armed FAC's.

Also more work done on US Navy warships. A lot of work to do on the Midway still but the Perry should not be that much work. I have specifically rendered it without any point light sources as the game does not have them and it makes them look more like they do in-game.

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”