About the difficulty settings again

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

About the difficulty settings again

Post by Kristijonas »

1. Probably answered somewhere, but in full detail, how do different military/economic/diplomatic difficulties affect the game? Do they affect AI ? Do they give computer controlled countries unfair advantages? Disadvantages to players? Does it expand on what AI Does in diplomacy/military/economy?
Please post as many details as are known!

2. When difficulties are selected in multiplayer, do they affect the host or all players? Was it tested?
Fistalis
General

Re: About the difficulty settings again

Post by Fistalis »

On the OLD wiki i believe there was a page that explained this but to answer your questions 1. is ALL of the above.. depending on the difficulty setting you're speaking of.

Diplomatic difficulty.. higher levels make CB and Diplo relations slower to go up and faster to go down for the player and the OPPOSITE for the AI. with medium pretty much being the "fair" setting. This is why long term it turns into a AI alliance fest on higher difficulties.. and you actually get MORE wars between AI on lower difficulties.

Military difficulty the AI uses better tactics etc the higher this is so I always play on the hardest or you are hamstringing the AI.

Economic... i don't remember any specifics of...

This isn't by any means a complete and detailed list of each setting just what my brain remembers basing my difficulty selections on, IE i always play medium diplo Very hard military and default economic.

2. Should be ALL players but outside of my experience I really have no proof of this.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Fistalis wrote:IE i always play medium diplo Very hard military and default economic.
+1 :D
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

yeah I tried playing on hard diplo but even countries with 100% relations refused to go into formal alliance with me "because of lack of interest" :D

However, what I am concerned about is that I read that with very hard diplomacy, for example, AI tends to things it does not otherwise do, like cancel alliances more, maybe espionage and steal techs more! And other things! (could someone elaborate?). If that is true it would be very nice to have "normal" diplomatic relations, etc, but an AI that is still able to do all those things. Would it be possible to give us more indepth options into difficulty settings? @Battlegoat

As for very hard military, doesn't it add really unfair bonuses to computer controlled units? I want to play a geopolitical simulator with 100% fairness AND 100% AI smartness. Again, it would be SO good to be able to choose the particulars in the difficulty. We all want better AI, but if it comes at a cost of unfair advantages/disadvantages...
- that's just sad and hopefully can change.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Kristijonas wrote: As for very hard military, doesn't it add really unfair bonuses to computer controlled units? I want to play a geopolitical simulator with 100% fairness AND 100% AI smartness. Again, it would be SO good to be able to choose the particulars in the difficulty. We all want better AI, but if it comes at a cost of unfair advantages/disadvantages...
- that's just sad and hopefully can change.
I don't remember any bonuses to AI controlled units with higher military difficulty selection... doesn't mean they aren't there.. but that was why i always played med economic and diplo is they were the "fair" settings and military actually just boosted the AI's selection of tactics from what i remember. As usual George or Balt are more than welcome to elaborate and or correct me.
Buzzbrad
General

Post by Buzzbrad »

You can find info on the difficulty settings here: https://supremeruler.gamepedia.com/Difficulty_Settings
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Would it be possible to make it so players could have more choice on difficulties?
For example making everyone hate you might not be desireable with diplo on very hard, but these two:
Cancellation Never Never Possible
Conspiracy Never Never Possible

are only possible on very hard and may be nice to have.

---
Or for example in military difficulty it appears that it DOES provide unfair advantages to the AI:

6. Player's initial Military Efficiency
also what does this mean?
Player Units 0% 25%-50%
AI-to-AI Units 25%-50% 0%

---

It is also unclear whether economy difficulty is global difficulty (for player AND AI or just player(s?))

---

Would it be hard for Battlegoat to expand the difficulty settings a bit so that optionally players could tweak their specifics? There are other strategy games where this was successfully implemented and in my mind even more important here as for example I believe I'm not the only one who finds it really important to play SR in as fair and realistic setting as possible, meaning people like me would like the AI to be very capable in its decisions and freedom of actions/features but wouldn't like the AI to get any advantages/disadvantages compared to the player.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Kristijonas wrote: ---
Or for example in military difficulty it appears that it DOES provide unfair advantages to the AI:

6. Player's initial Military Efficiency
also what does this mean?
Player Units 0% 25%-50%
AI-to-AI Units 25%-50% 0%
It's initial efficiency so it's only start of the game.. not really an unfair advantage unless its a scenario you start in war. Efficiency is exactly what it sounds like and basically slightly adjusts the units overall performance.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Well you see, it is unclear whether it's just the initial efficiency as in, you start with a disadvantage that levels out eventually OR if it means that you initially, as in, at the beginning, start with a NEVER FADING AWAY -10% penalty to military efficiency ;X
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Kristijonas wrote:Well you see, it is unclear whether it's just the initial efficiency as in, you start with a disadvantage that levels out eventually OR if it means that you initially, as in, at the beginning, start with a NEVER FADING AWAY -10% penalty to military efficiency ;X
Seems clear to me by them using the word initial as a qualifier....but i'll concede i could be mistaken.. wouldn't be the first time. Just seems like using the word initial if the effect was permanent would be silly not to mention unnecessary.. generally i think they try to use a few words as possible when describing things :wink:

As per usual if Someone from BG wants to pipe in and clarify that would be most welcome. :lol:

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”