3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Nerei
General
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by Nerei »

MK4 wrote:
Nerei wrote: Finally a quick question. Would anyone be willing to help with the creation of PICNUMS entries? I am mostly asking as this is still something that takes time and unlike actually building the models it is something I can outsource.
What would that involve? Posing the skinned models in a 3D graphics software?
No there is nothing involving the UGBITS files. Absolutely nothing at all. I definitely did not write UGBITS by accident initially and later change it to picnums if that is what you are referring to. Definitely did not happen... >_<
If there are any archived sources such as archive.org that indicates anything else then that is nothing but a conspiracy against me because I would definitely never makes such a mistake... ^_-
Okay seriously yes I did do just that.
What I mean is basically writing the entry for the default.picnums file and testing that everything works and looks okay so all it takes is the game itself. That and time. It will save me having to port the models and textures over to my desktop computer which I am not all that often near right now.

For the UGBITS I have a light and camera rig that I import into the scenes so producing the UGBITS picture itself is quite fast and easy.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I finally settled on exactly what models I wanted for the JGSDF. All are at least UV mapped and most are more or less ready for conversion (or in some cases have already been converted). The UH-60JA is made to easily be converted into a model without the external tanks.
The type 75 MRL and type 60 recoilles are not the highest priorities as they have both basically been phased out and the priority is 2020. The type 60 APC however will be a stand-in for the Type 73 APC for now at least so that is higher priority.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Awesome work Nerei!
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Hopefully you can all mess around with them soon as I actually think I can make it for a late May release. That is assuming the JMSDF does not give me too much trouble as that is where the majority of the remaining work is.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

It`s gonna be great having that impressive line of units moving around Japan. :-)

As far as working with the PICNUMS file there are several reasons stopping me from making promises. For once I don`t have SRU and testing things in SR2020 is not going to show the full spectrum of unit abilities which is not ideal. Even more importantly, I don`t understand that file at all apart from adjusting the unit size and even that is alot of shoot and miss. Put against my ever busy schedule for the foreseeable future it`s a problem. Has George ever posted a guide for this file as I remember him promising?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

No George has not gotten around to updating the default.picnums entry on the wiki. I have considered poking him for it again but for the most part except for turreted AFV's I really am not using anything but scale. For those I mess around with a few values to ensure the vehicle have a functional turret. I think I have most of that sorted out with these JSDF vehicles.
Input on scale is actually something I like getting as it is something that takes time getting right and I might not get it anyway.

This is the complete JSDF lineup except for a few units such as the Asahi and Ōsumi but including a fictive battleship and aircraft carrier. Missiles might make it if I have the time but they are not that high a priority. They are however fairly fast to make. The UH-60JA will also be converted into a SH-60J but that is not going to happen before the parent aircraft is done. The SH model is probably going to lose the wings.
The helicopters, the Shin-Meiwa US-1 and P3 will have their transparency adjusted based on what they look like in-game so I have not even bothered that much with them yet.
I am not prioritise textures other than J and basic textures for now as that will potentially push any release back quite a bit. The chances of it happening at a later date is not that low though.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Just a quick update. The ground forces is definitely going to be ready for the end of May as excluding the Type 75 MRL and Type 61 106 mm Recoilless Gun only the H-60 and Type 87 ARV needs some work (and the Type 87 not that much really). The rest are basically done though only with Japanese and basic textures. Considering how long it took making all the texture sets for the F-104 I am definitely sticking with gradually expanding the texture selection for each model.
The JASDF is also mostly done with only the F-4 and F-15 needing some texture work (The P-1, P-3 and US-1 are JMSDF aircraft). Again the JMSDF is the one needing the majority of the work.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Wow, can't wait to see all this in game!
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

My feelings too.

@Nerei will anything non-Japanese make it for this late May release?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Yes I plan on there being non-japanese content.
Going through my list (yes I have a document to keep track of it all) these models should more or less be ready to be added:

USS Gerald R. Ford
Eurocopter Tigre (German and french camouflage)
Horse carriage
K2 black panther
USS Sea wolf SSN 21
USS Skipjack SSN 585
USS Virginia SSN 774
USS Cheyenne SSN 773
LGM 118 Peacekeeper ICBM
UGM 133 Trident D5
LGM 30 Minuteman III
AGM 84 Harpoon
GBU-43 MOAB
I see no reason not to add these also.
For the record all US Navy vessels are assigned spots on UGBITS15 as I basically have filled most spots on UGBITS16 with half-completed content or things I plan to make already.

Then there are some models that may or may not make it (that is to say they are not that far from being completed but still not ready for release). I make no promises for these.
AMX-56 Leclerc
USS Nimitz
USS Spruance
Tu-126
Exocet (mostly based on the MM040 from what I remember)
Strike cruiser concept
USS Maryland SSBN 738 (all but done so very likely)
GBU-57 MOP

Pretty sure I have not released the Type XXI and B-58 either. If not they are also quite likely to be included.

Also for the Japanese content the Ki-27, ki-43 and ki-45 are very likely to be included as they are basically done and just need to be converted.
The SSM-1, ASM-2 and (X)ASM-3 are also likely to be included.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Eurocopter Tigre (German and french camouflage)
Are you planing some different texture for the generic version? I`m thinking one of the above without the national insignia might just do.
GBU-43 MOAB
:-) Really? We had this in game or did you just watch the news lately?

Pity if the Leclerc doesn`t make it, but thank you all the same!
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I have a generic texture for the Tigre. It is just green really but probably acceptable. I might add some numbers to the fuselage though. I try and stick with generic green for the generic version as it helps differentiate it from say a French or German helicopter.
If you want a version with one of the camouflage patterns but no national markings throw me a reminder post-release (or close to release though I might still forget it then) and I will make one. It is just turning some photoshop layers off after all.
Also I need to either adjust the UVmap to line the blades up on the rotor disc or I will just remove the lower part. It might make them transparent when seen from below but that is fairly irrelevant for this game. I also do this extensively for warships to keep their tris count down.
As with all rotor/propeller blades I will try and adjust them once I have the model in-game.

I am mainly just making weapons that might see service in any current conflict although I guess Trumps usage of one has expedited its creation. With US cruise missiles alone on top of the Harpoon I plan on making a BGM 109 Tomahawk (I know there is already one but missiles take almost no time to make), AGM-158 JASSM/LRASM and possibly a X-51 as it is apparently a testbed for the HSSW project. I have been experimenting a bit with texture maps and you would be surprised how many missiles can fit on a 512 square texture map.
Each of the ICBM/SLBM use a 512x256 texture, the GBU-43 share a 256x256 with the still incomplete GBU-57 and the 2 cruise missiles about 1/9 of a 512x512 map combined.
I am sticking with orange for now to keep it more distinct (not sure if I will make the grid fins transparent or not. I am not sure it will look right and it might not be noticeable in the first place).

If the Leclerc does not make it into this batch it will make it into the ROK/PRC package which I might spread out releases more than I have done with the JSDF one. The T-90 and M-48 are also planned for release together with it.

Also I think I should mention that I have not touched 3C3C1D119440927 or pretty much any of my PS3 games despite having been without one for nearly a year and only recently getting a new one.
The sacrifices I make... ^_-
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Except for a few variant colours and maybe some small tweaking of the textures the initial elements of the JASDF and JGSDF that I have planned to include are basically complete.
Again at least initially there will only be a fairly basic generic green or grey texture for the units besides a Japanese one (unless I happen to have something done like say for some of the F-15 variants).
So "only" a few warships and a seaplane left ^_^
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

I am sticking with orange for now to keep it more distinct
That should look great in game. Definitely something you`re gonna notice when is launched.
If you want a version with one of the camouflage patterns but no national markings throw me a reminder post-release (or close to release though I might still forget it then) and I will make one. It is just turning some photoshop layers off after all.
Thank you for offering! To be honest I actually like how the generic version turned out. Let me first see it in game please.
unless I happen to have something done like say for some of the F-15 variants
Did you make a US version of it? If so could you post a render? With the risk of stoking more camo debates I`d like to see the thing in all its glory. :-)

On a different matter, shouldn`t the M110 be pointing its gun a bit higher? It looks like it`s in direct fire mode now.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The generic version of the Tigre will probably get a few markings, some numbers on the fuselage and that kind of thing before release. It looks a bit barren in places.

As for the F-15 let me finish off the Strike Eagle and Baz and I will post a family photo of all 8 colour variants I have so far (plus 2 generic which are/will be just slightly modified US variants).
The US F-15C is pretty much this aircraft markings and all.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... flight.JPG

Also I have adjusted the M110 to have the barrel locked in a roughly 35 degree angle.

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”