I want to buy this.

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

The Khan
General

I want to buy this.

Post by The Khan »

What keeps me back was SR2020's near impossible-to-manage unit system and strange economy compared to SR 2010.

What has changed? Would anyone review for me? I still like SR2010.
I cant play SR2020 well but I still love 2010. Chris will hate me for exploiting his game to death.
Date of Order: 2007-11-15 20:03
Product information:
Supreme Ruler 2010 (1 x 19.99 USD)
3 years baby
Gman
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Re: I want to buy this.

Post by Gman »

Can't compare to previous titles being that ultimate was my only purchase in the lineage. Compared to hoi3 , unit management is easier imo because you do not have the tedious task of putting each unit in a larger organizational structure. However, that did make it easier to eliminate "unused" or "forgotten" units. I do find myself clicking on aircraft a lot to find out where they are.

The economy is something I think I have under control now after 350 hrs of playing. :lol:

It was difficult to learn, difficult to master, but well worth the initial frustration.

I like it a lot.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

I own all the games of the series even though I'm one of the biggest game pirate :-) SR:Ultimate is truly rather different from SR2010 and SR2020 in most aspects. But it is not too different from SR:Cold War and especially SR:1936 in terms of user interface and economy. I played SR2020 again recently and couldn't get into it because of how old it is in all regards. SR:Ultimate is definitely better everywhere. If you have doubts whether to buy it or not, wait for a discount. If you don't want to wait then I'd suggest buying it, you will probably end up playing it for many hours if you liked SR2020 ;) It is really nice being able to play throughout the period of 1936-2020+ with all the different countries, technologies etc that existed. And the game is pretty well polished by now. There are some intrinsic problems like hex'es not being able to belong to multiple loyalties, which leads to many problems. Not sure what you mean by economy problems in previous games. The economy is rather stable now and doesn't lead to never-ending world crisis where everybody goes bancrupt anymore (as far as I know) but the economy is not very realistic either, so that's my second complaint about something that cannot be changed.
The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

I played SR 2020 and was disappointed. Not just spy&building wise also the strange uncontrollable military stuff, and setting hot spots.
I cant play SR2020 well but I still love 2010. Chris will hate me for exploiting his game to death.
Product information:
3 years baby
mattpilot
Lt. Colonel

Post by mattpilot »

To me the game gets a lot more playable when you reduce the number of units.

I modded it in a way where units now use 4x manpower essentially making them "brigades" instead of battalions. I once tried with 8x manpower to make them "divisions", but didn't work to well with smaller countries. On the plus side, it was also a huge performance boost.

The other thing that greatly improved my game experience was modding the supply dropoff rate across terrain with no roads by like 3x. Makes infastructure and sticking to roads/rails much more important.

The other thing that bugged me was that the unit stats aren't really polished. There are to many unit types across to many countries all having very different stats where some 'super units' get produced. I normalized this in my mod by standardizing US/Western unit types across all countries, but that still leaves irregularities where the stats are just whack across many unit types. For example, a unit might have good stats, but for some reason have insane supply consumption compared to a similar unit. Or you build just elite special forces that have good stats, low supply, and for some reason low maintenance. There is no point in building 'regular' units. This is the type of stuff that drives me crazy. I tried to rework the unit list, but it's to much work and i just end up giving up. Game would be 100x better if it had a standardized unit list across all nations - i don't care for this 'flavor', other than for the names sake.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

mattpilot wrote: Game would be 100x better if it had a standardized unit list across all nations - i don't care for this 'flavor', other than for the names sake.
I'm inclined to agree. This isn't ancient history game where macedonian spears vs germanic swords would make all the difference. Depending on the technology level, infrastructure, money, applicability etc countries make or usually buy similar weapons. I'd only agree that more intricate military equipment would be personalized, like some tanks, aircraft, ships and missiles. That kind of thing can sometimes make a huge difference. Though again, most of the time it just depends on the level of technology and the political will to apply the technology. For the most part simple foot infantry units in 21st age could simply be that: Infantry I, Infantry II etc, according to the techs the country had researched. So while infantry I would be like https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/56 ... 94e3a1.jpg
an infantry IV would be like http://www.ecstudents.net/10spring/luis ... 2/aitb.jpg
and infantry VII http://itc.ua/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/FIST.jpg
and so on. I think it applies to most modern countries.
There could also be unit tiers, like militia infantry, infantry, elite infantry, bestpossible infantry.
Anyway, that's just talk because the developers will not make this happen. But hopefuly you will continue working on your mods, mattpilot!

By the way, I like the change with supplies you've made, but how about units getting stuck in supply-less hex'es ? Do you have a remedy for that?
mattpilot
Lt. Colonel

Post by mattpilot »

By the way, I like the change with supplies you've made, but how about units getting stuck in supply-less hex'es ? Do you have a remedy for that?
Never saw it as a problem. Yes, sometimes units get bogged down by the AI with little hope of rescue, but as time goes on they sometimes always get free. Minor downside to a big upside. I just love the fact that supply doesn't 'flow' across rivers anymore and actually need a bridge. Capturing infastructure is thus very vital, where as in the original game to me it just seems like you can move your units all over the place no problemo .. no strategy/tactics.

Overall the gameplay is 'slowed' down by less supply as units do need to wait more for supply to catch up and stay near roads. I like that.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

It's currently -70% off on Steam Winter Sale...sooo go for it :D
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Too cheap in my opinion :-)
"Sadly" this is one of the few games I actually own, including the whole series. Totally worth it and wish they'd have released something like a payable DLC for SR:U on top of what we have now.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

You know, Khan, eventually you'll have to try it out ;)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

Balthagor wrote:You know, Khan, eventually you'll have to try it out ;)
I know, and I will, buuut I was badly disappointed by SR2020 honestly after 2010.... ya know, they say "Friends say bitter truth" easier... I hope Ultimate wont disappoint me... Time to nuke Raqqa and cleanse Turkey from Wahhabi scum.

Tell Lightbringer regards if you contact him. I'm through with Democrat and left ideologies.
Product information:
3 years baby

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”