How to use helicopters

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

sparky282
Colonel
Human: Yes

How to use helicopters

Post by sparky282 »

I've always despite many hours on the game struggled with helicopters more importantly attack helicopters I just dont see how they are in anyway useful they damage way to easily for my liking from any kind of unit! Does any1 use them effectively is so how?
Also never used a asw chopper really so any tips on sinking subs would be good also!
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Re: How to use helicopters

Post by YoMomma »

I only use asw heli's. Just get a stack send them to enemy sub and bu bye. Retreat them quick cause if they have they will send interceptors.

Other heli's are usefull in no supply areas to kill enemy units out of supply. Basicly you can do it way easier with your bombers, but hey you asked.
Gameplay 1st
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

I already asked this question and received some good answers. I think helicopters are rather useless, but transport helicopters can still be rather useful. Also may be useful in some very rare situations where flexibility can bring victory.

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 78&t=25446
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

I'm under impression that you are using helicopters the wrong way!
Do not expect them to do miracles alone as you tend to do! stacking them is useless. Also their defense values are just fine. area defended by 40 Gepards can bring down many helis in RL, just like in the game.

- use them to harras enemy units without support
- use them for hit and run tactics - do not linger them in the area more than 1 or 2 attack runs
- use them to support your attacks (stacks) rather then using them alone. Thay'll take much fewer losses and in return will supress enemy units further reducing losses of your other units
- avoid any and all anti-aircraft units - you can not expect no losses against Gepards or Shilkas or Stingers
- avoid attacking enemy stacks - dense small callibre fire will bring down any helicopter
- us them to pursue survivors after enemy line collapses
Please teach AI everything!
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Zuikaku you are not wrong, but everything you say about helicopters, planes can do and can do better. That's the problem. Helicopters aren't useless, they are simply a worse alternative to planes in all parameters, no? Also, are there any anti-air units that cannot attack close air? Helicopters could shine against those maybe?
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Kristijonas wrote:Zuikaku you are not wrong, but everything you say about helicopters, planes can do and can do better. That's the problem. Helicopters aren't useless, they are simply a worse alternative to planes in all parameters, no? Also, are there any anti-air units that cannot attack close air? Helicopters could shine against those maybe?
There are early SAMs and even some modern SAMs that are unable to engage low targets, but generaly everything that have autocannons poses a real danger to helicopters (and that is not wrong at all, just look what happened to unsupported AH-64s during 2003 invasion on Iraq when they encountered RG position defended by shilkas and other AA units).
I consider an use them as some sort of ground unit rather than air unit.
Aircrafts are better ,but are more difficult to turn in order to avoid spotted SAMs. Helicopters are something like scalpel and aircrafts are more like cleavers in SR :D

But if you see the usage of AHs in real life, you can see that they are generally avoiding targets defended by AA and are heavily cooperating with grounfd units. If you are using them that way in the game, they are doing the job just fine.
Please teach AI everything!
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Yeah, I think they can be used as a flexible scalpel, good analogy. I guess it's a very niche unit, unlike infantry that can be thrown everywhere and do some good more or less.
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

I started using them more, and Zuikaku is right, they are pretty efficient once used right.

I was playing as South Africa. On their own they are pretty weak, but combined with tanks/infantry they will greatly help you kill units.

What i did was 2 tanks, 5 inf, 7 attack hellicopters and make a battlegroup. Once you need the heli's to finish of you can simply click on the air marker. If you select the battlegroup and attack in the next hex, first the heli's attack and once the enemy return fire your ground units are just in time to take the hits.
Gameplay 1st

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”