What do you want to see in Supreme Ruler 2010?

Got any suggestions/wish list items? Put them here!

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

What features do you want to see included in Supreme Ruler 2010? If you don't tell us, we won't know :smile:
jfbbis
Sergeant

Post by jfbbis »

I must be weird but i feel no wargame can be complete without detailed logistics (probably optional...). By logistics, i mean transporting units other than by mythic "strategic movement", to supply them other than by mythic "line of supply". So in practice having to maintain a fleet of transport with varying abilities (planes, trains, etc) and juggling with tonnage of units themselves + their supply, say personnel,oil, ammo ?
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

jfbbis,
isnt what you are asking for already in the game ?
There is even mention of being able to cut off a units supply lines,so as to run them out of supplies and cripple them.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

I must be weird but i feel no wargame can be complete without detailed logistics (probably optional...).
Ah, Logistics! We've certainly had a few design discussions on this topic. At the start everything was on the table for consideration, including resupplying units by way of individual supply truck convoys that would show up as units on the map - that way they could be targetted, encircled, etc. To make the game not bog down these would be AI controlled, but even then it is felt that they could over-clutter the game and map.

Instead, we are currently working on a two-tier supply system: there will be an automatic level of re-supply calculated from a unit's unobstructed distance to a supply source (ie military base or supply depot), and there would also be the ability to build and use supply convoy units for special cases (ie attacks deep into enemy territory).

Cutting off enemy units from their home territory will result in a cut-off from resupply, and we track both fuel and "military goods" (ammo and spare parts) separately.

As well, we recently made the decision to require real cargo ships and planes to carry units by sea or air (versus a global 'transport capacity' rating or similar shortcut). So if you want to move a tank battalion from Australia to New Zealand, you'll need transport ships. By default the AI will handle the transport fleet (queue up requests and dispatch the transport ships or planes to fill the requests), but they could also be micro-managed if a player so desired.

We think it's the most ambitious logistics system for a game of this type, but also that it strikes a nice balance between realism and playability.

-- George.

<Lead Programmer, BattleGoat Studios.>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: George Geczy on 2002-06-05 16:10 ]</font>
danc
Sergeant

Post by danc »

On 2002-06-05 14:38, jfbbis wrote:
I must be weird but i feel no wargame can be complete without detailed logistics (probably optional...). By logistics, i mean transporting units other than by mythic "strategic movement", to supply them other than by mythic "line of supply". So in practice having to maintain a fleet of transport with varying abilities (planes, trains, etc) and juggling with tonnage of units themselves + their supply, say personnel,oil, ammo ?
What a masochist :smile:

While i like knowing that the logistics is present, i would rather have it handled in an intelligent manner by the AI. I remember playing CIV II and how tedious it could get managing all your cities late in the game. It took the fun right out of it. The AI couldn't do a good job though (it was ok, but not 'gamewinning' against the AI's built in advantages).

I would vote to keep playability high, but more logistics than People's General (which was too abstract to have any real impact). It sounds like this is what you are doing.
jfbbis
Sergeant

Post by jfbbis »

The system you describe look great to me !
Reddemon
Lieutenant

Post by Reddemon »

To be BUG FREE.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

To be BUG FREE.
Yes, I'm wishing for that one too!

-- George.

<Lead Programmer, BattleGoat Studios>
Reddemon
Lieutenant

Post by Reddemon »

I wish for an Auto Update button on the main menu. Well from what I can tell this game is going to be massive and its going to have lots of details to content with so why not make it very easy for the customers to just click on a button and check for any new updates. Sierra does it with there auto updater but its not within the game its in another folder.

You and I know that nothing is going to be perfect from the start and no one expects it to be that way either. We just want something that can be and WILL become PERFECT in time.:razz:

Also build in a crash report that gets send in to you as soon as it crashes. MS has it on there OS softwares so they can get the info fast. It seems that more and more pple are switching to high speed internet access so that shouldnt be a big problem. For those who has a dial up network just have the report written to a txt file so they can submit it on the next time they are on the net.

I figure the more info you get faster the better the game can be and the fixes can be done in lightning speed.

Just a thought :wink:
lemmy
Sergeant

Post by lemmy »

less micromanagement near the end of the game, or at least a viable option not to mm.
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

On 2002-06-13 05:28, lemmy wrote:
less micromanagement near the end of the game, or at least a viable option not to mm.
Definitely the worst thing about the CIV series was the endgame. It just got to tedious.

I'm not worried about that happening in our game though --- it has different a different emphasis that is consistent throughout the game. (We're not building everything towards launching a Space Ship.) :smile:
- David
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

Ooops... Forgot to comment on Reddemon's suggestion for the UPDATE Button on the Main Menu. Although we (and especially our Lead Programmer) live in the "Fantasy Land" that believes we won't need it, :wink: you've made a good suggestion and we will incorporate it into the game.
- David
Reddemon
Lieutenant

Post by Reddemon »

Thank you BG for that inspiring msg. Now on my next wish, since you are granting them so easily is to have a 6' female blonde under my christmas tree this year and dressed in red too :razz:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Reddemon on 2002-06-13 10:28 ]</font>
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

Sorry... She's only 5'6" and she's under my tree every day! :grin:
- David
Reddemon
Lieutenant

Post by Reddemon »

:lol:

Return to “Wish List”