Supreme Ruler Ultimate Announcement

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

georgios
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Re: Supreme Ruler Ultimate Announcement

Post by georgios »

Kristijonas wrote:When you know exactly how everything works there is no more point in experimenting, attempting various methods to attain your goals etc. SR is essentially a mathematical game. By knowing everything you could possibly SOLVE it. That would ruin the game's replayability because you would always do the same, best things. The decisions you make in the game have repercussions that make sense and that's enough.

But a simulation game has the goal to teach you how to solve optimization problems.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

What I meant by that was "being able to trade territory based on hexes in a region. Meaning that what is traded are not some selected separate hexes, but a whole region. By a region I mean a "battlezone".

Even if a country only controls 1/10 of a battlezone, for example Germany at the beginning controls only a few hexes of the "Lodz" battlezone (the majority belongs to Poland) the player could select that they want to give that battlezone region away to Poland. Or some other country (however that would make no sense, hmm - but could work in multiplayer!). What mean is, this could be a TECHNICAL solution of how transfering territories could work in a limited sense. People could just transfer ALL hexes of a single battlezone of their choice to a country of their choice.

I am suggesting this only in case this is much easier to develop (Balthagor mentioned that the difficulty is creating an interface where you could select separate hexes, so I am suggesting this on an assumption that trading whole battlezones could be easier). Again, an example is Victoria II game where even if you can conquer only whole regions, not single provinces.

I don't think this would create a problem of the map looking artificial, because there would be many cases where territories would NOT be traded, and for example after WW2 it would make sense for the UK and USA to trade ALL their conquered battlezones back to the continental European nations.

Sorry if my English skills prevent me from making sense :>
georgios wrote:
But a simulation game has the goal to teach you how to solve optimization problems.
By knowing the code of how Supreme Ruler economy works, you will learn nothing. You will however learn by experimenting with it and attempting realistic solutions to it. I am sure the Supreme Ruler economical code has no miracle solutions to the real life economy :) But playing with it, without knowing all the technical details CAN be a way to learn.
nghtmre15
Major

Post by nghtmre15 »

I've waited years for this. Consider me there on day one.
In a world without sound, dancing... falling... I was snow.
georgios
Brigadier Gen.

Post by georgios »

Kristijonas wrote:By knowing the code of how Supreme Ruler economy works, you will learn nothing. You will however learn by experimenting with it and attempting realistic solutions to it. I am sure the Supreme Ruler economical code has no miracle solutions to the real life economy :) But playing with it, without knowing all the technical details CAN be a way to learn.
No, not learn economy, nor win the game. We simply want to know how economic game simulations are done.

As for land trading I propose to be done in hex level, and only between neighbors, with the exception of islands in the middle of the ocean. Of course there should be a selection tool to trade at once a broader area.

I also propose that petroleum and natural gas should be separate resources.
Last edited by georgios on Sep 06 2014, edited 1 time in total.
georgios
Brigadier Gen.

Post by georgios »

nghtmre15 wrote:I've waited years for this. Consider me there on day one.

me too
Scoose
Major

Post by Scoose »

Been buying these game's since SR2020 came out, with SRCW and SR1936 I have used Fistails modern times mod as my personal preference is to play with modern units and future. So this is something I am looking forward to and will be buying as soon as I see it on steam. Thank you BG.
notus
Lieutenant

Post by notus »

Interesting to see this game announced but does Battlegoat know if there will be finally a World Editor or a Map Editor? Being able to create your own maps would be an amazing feature, or even just altering the resources in the already existing world map
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

It is something we are considering, depending on how much work it takes to make it usable.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Balthagor wrote:It is something we are considering, depending on how much work it takes to make it usable.
Well, if you are using it, than simple vulcan logic implies it is already usable :D but I think you ment "how much work it takes to make a usable limited version of software you are using" :P
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
dax1
Brigadier Gen.

Post by dax1 »

and what about events editor?
Con forza ed ardimento
georgios
Brigadier Gen.

Post by georgios »

At least, tell us what engine was used for the map.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

georgios wrote:At least, tell us what engine was used for the map.
We created a development tool of our own 10+ years ago. Some of the parts no longer work, but the parts we need do work. It has no instructions and no installer but requires certain files of certain types in certain places or it crashes.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Surely your aware of why this concept simply wont work very well........
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

SInce this is going to be your SR pinnacle and end of the series, you could end it with giving us an refurbished editor ;)
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
number47
General

Post by number47 »

I could've sworn I've seen that "pinnacle of the series" phrase during SR1936 announcement/release... HUH :D
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”