NATO markers instead of animated sprites

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

nick-bang
Colonel
Human: Yes
Location: A dark and ominous room - only illuminated by the eerie light of a computerscreen

NATO markers instead of animated sprites

Post by nick-bang »

Hi all

As usual a great game.

But as usual there is a fly in the ointment: The animated sprites while nice, makes it very hard for me to compose the right battlegroups for a given assignment and terrain.

Therefore I would dearly like a Mod, where I could play with standard NATO markers, as described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Milit ... -STD-2525A

In other words change the sprites for the NATO Allied Procedural Publication 6A (APP-6A) or its American equivalent standard is MIL-STD-2525A.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: NATO markers instead of animated sprites

Post by Balthagor »

A SupremeWiki page was started the last time we tried to get a mod going;

http://www.supremewiki.com/node/287

Provide pictures for all the listed units types and I'll provide instructions for the next step. 1024x1024 PNGs.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
RanGer
Corporal

Post by RanGer »

Balthagor wrote:A SupremeWiki page was started the last time we tried to get a mod going;

Provide pictures for all the listed units types and I'll provide instructions for the next step. 1024x1024 PNGs.
1024x1024 for all counters on a single image, or a separate 1024x1024 image for each counter? Also, what background colour? Perhaps transparent background? Does it need any special effects like edge bevel?

Shouldn't be too hard really. I might give it a shot.

BTW: Found some WW2 symbols:
http://www.atf40.fr/ATF40/divers/OTAN/WWII_symbols.jpg
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Each image on a separate 1024sq image
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

[_]OT
They aren't sprites GD it...
They are polygon Meshes.. the anti thesis of sprites.

That is all

Edit: whats the NATO symbol for mechs anyway? :D
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The images will be used as textures on a flat 2 poly square mesh.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Balthagor wrote:The images will be used as textures on a flat 2 poly square mesh.
Yes i understand how you would do it.. doesn't change the fact that the original 3D meshes aren't sprites. (actually knew the method you proposed the minute you said 1024x1024 :P )

Be a lot of editing.. simple editing but a fair amount once someone compiled the required pics.

note to those thinking of doing it.. they really don't have to be Awesome quality at 1024x1024 since its going to be rather small on screen anyway.
Last edited by Fistalis on Jun 02 2014, edited 1 time in total.
RanGer
Corporal

Post by RanGer »

Ok, did a few of them.

Would these be ok? Background is transparent, but in the game the colour of the background should depend on who owns the unit. Blue for friendly, red for enemy, etc...

BTW, is there no way to put images into spoiler tags on this forum?
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

RanGer wrote:
Blue for friendly, red for enemy, etc...
now you're getting into a concept thats beyond simple modding.. (still might be possible but it would take a lot of time to splice together various UI/HUD stuff..)

Balt should see if he can get some man hours assigned to adding it to a HUD option if you want something that detailed IMO.
nick-bang
Colonel
Location: A dark and ominous room - only illuminated by the eerie light of a computerscreen

Post by nick-bang »

APP-6 Air Defence Artillery Armored.png
Here you are boys - dont say that christmas doesnt come twice in a year... :D

BUGGER ... I have ALL the items requested ... but I cant post e´m cos they are too big...

Gimme a e-mail I can send them to plz...

Anyhow, after I give you all the goodies then it would be cool if we to that could add the troop size markers NATO style on top of the unit marker. A hint would be how Paradox handled it in Hearts of Iron the later ones ... like so:

XXXXXX Region or Theatre (very rare in peacetime) 250,000–1,000,000+ Several army groups Commonwealth:Field Marshal
US:General of the Army
XXXXX Army Group (rare in peacetime) 120,000–500,000 Several armies Commonwealth:Field Marshal
US:General of the Army
XXXX Army 100,000 Nominally several corps, typically 5–10 Divisions General
XXX Corps/Marine Expeditionary Force (MEF) 30,000–60,000 (USMC MEF 20,000–90,000) Several divisions (USMC MEF—at least one Marine Division, Marine Aircraft Wing, and Marine Logistics Group) Lieutenant General
XX Division 10,000–20,000 Nominally several Brigades/Regiments (USMC), typically ~10 Battalions plus support units Major General
X Brigade/Marine Expeditionary Brigade (MEB) 2,000–5,000 U.S (USMC MEB 7,000–20,000), 4,000–20,000 Commonwealth Several U.S. Battalions (USMC MEB—at least one Marine Infantry Regiment (Reinforced), Marine Aircraft Group, and Marine Combat Logistics Regiment) or 2–5 Commonwealth tactical (field) Regiments. Largest permanent grouping for Commonwealth units Commonwealth: Brigadier US: Colonel
III Regiment/Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) (Not used as tactical formation by Commonwealth armies) (Group in Commonwealth air force ground combat force) 500–2000 (USMC Marine Infantry Regiment 3200+ and MEU: 1500–3000) 3–7 Battalions. (USMC MEU—a Marine Infantry Battalion (Reinforced), a Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron (Composite), and a Marine Combat Logistics Battalion) Colonel (Group Captain in Commonwealth air force ground combat force)
II Battalion or equivalent, e.g. Commonwealth Regiment (certain countries/arms only) or U.S. Cavalry Squadron (Wing in Commonwealth air force ground combat force) 300–1,000 2–6 Companies, Batteries, U.S. Troops, or Commonwealth Squadrons, etc. Lieutenant colonel (Wing Commander in Commonwealth air force ground combat force)

(From the wikipedia page, but its good enough)

Placement of information outlined in the wikipedia page as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

nick-bang wrote:...it would be cool if we to that could add the troop size markers NATO style on top of the unit marker.
That's an entirely separate request.
nick-bang wrote:...Gimme a e-mail I can send them to plz...
|
|
|
|
V
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
nick-bang
Colonel

Post by nick-bang »

Balthagor wrote:
nick-bang wrote:...it would be cool if we to that could add the troop size markers NATO style on top of the unit marker.
That's an entirely separate request.
nick-bang wrote:...Gimme a e-mail I can send them to plz...
|
|
|
|
V
Done...

Santa has given you the bag´o goodies: will you divide it amongst the children please :wink:
nick-bang
Colonel

Post by nick-bang »

Fistalis wrote:[_]OT
They aren't sprites GD it...
They are polygon Meshes.. the anti thesis of sprites.

That is all

Edit: whats the NATO symbol for mechs anyway? :D
A mech is symbolized by square in which are a diagonal cross (to represent the bandoliers of infantrymen) with a elliptic circle superimposed over the cross (the symbol for a tank, which is supposed to represent the turret i guess, cant remember ... old age setting in combined with being too close to too many things that go BOOM I guess)
nick-bang
Colonel

Post by nick-bang »

RanGer wrote:
Balthagor wrote:A SupremeWiki page was started the last time we tried to get a mod going;

1024x1024 for all counters on a single image, or a separate 1024x1024 image for each counter? Also, what background colour? Perhaps transparent background? Does it need any special effects like edge bevel?

Shouldn't be too hard really. I might give it a shot.

BTW: Found some WW2 symbols:
http://www.atf40.fr/ATF40/divers/OTAN/WWII_symbols.jpg
3 possibilites for background colour:

1) the colour of your nation, if such a one exists.
2) red for foe, blue for friend, green for neutral and yellow for unknow. Might get a bit tricky to say the least modding that.
3) a uniform colour or none for all, which will get very confusing I think.

So my moneys on option 1, unless someone have a better idea.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Background color cannot be changed on a mesh. It will be one color.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Modding 1936”