Do I need ...

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Keromor
Corporal
Human: Yes

Do I need ...

Post by Keromor »

Hello all,

If I buy this game do i need Steam to be able to play it ?

thanks!
Fistalis
General

Re: Do I need ...

Post by Fistalis »

Keromor wrote:Hello all,

thanks!
No you need steam to download and update it. At this time it's not linked to steam other than used as a download tool/updater. Once you have installed/updated you have no need for steam until the next time you need to update. You can create a shortcut directly to the game and not run steam while you run the game.

I say at this time because many players have requested various features which would require greater steam integration.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Keromor
Corporal

Post by Keromor »

Fistalis wrote:

thanks!
No you need steam to download and update it. At this time it's not linked to steam other than used as a download tool/updater. Once you have installed/updated you have no need for steam until the next time you need to update. You can create a shortcut directly to the game and not run steam while you run the game.

I say at this time because many players have requested various features which would require greater steam integration.
OK. well I do not like Steam and do not want it installed, so i guess ill not be buying the game, thanks for your reply.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

The devs said they have plans to eventually release a non steam version of the game...
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

number47 wrote:The devs said they have plans to eventually release a non steam version of the game...
where? I've never seen that quote...
Garethw87
Warrant Officer

Post by Garethw87 »

Fistalis wrote:
number47 wrote:The devs said they have plans to eventually release a non steam version of the game...
He's speaking the truth it was mentioned just a few days ago!
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Fistalis wrote:
Balthagor wrote:
GIJoe597 wrote:Sure, thanks for your reply but I am NOT going to install steam on my machine. I am but one consumer and you must chase the money, I understand that. We had a good run. 07
Don't give up yet, I keep advocating for a Steam free option. It just won't be this month.
:P
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

number47 wrote:
Fistalis wrote:
Balthagor wrote:
GIJoe597 wrote:Sure, thanks for your reply but I am NOT going to install steam on my machine. I am but one consumer and you must chase the money, I understand that. We had a good run. 07
Don't give up yet, I keep advocating for a Steam free option. It just won't be this month.
:P
Balt advocating for something and the devs having plans for something isn't the same thing. :wink:
Ask balt how many things hes advocated for that didn't make it into game. :D
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Fistalis wrote: Balt advocating for something and the devs having plans for something isn't the same thing. :wink:
Ask balt how many things hes advocated for that didn't make it into game. :D
That was the most recent one. I remember George saying similar thing few weeks before May release also while responding to GIJoe597. Thats the only reason I quoted Balths "advocation" :D I'd have to search for Georges quote but I kind of don't wanna :P
Garethw87
Warrant Officer

Post by Garethw87 »

Keromor wrote:
Fistalis wrote:

thanks!

OK. well I do not like Steam and do not want it installed, so i guess ill not be buying the game, thanks for your reply.
Dare I ask, without causing a riot.. What is your problem with Steam though?
Lossidian
Sergeant

Post by Lossidian »

Garethw87 wrote:Dare I ask, without causing a riot.. What is your problem with Steam though?
I want to quote this as well, I've used steam for 7 years now, and had minimal to no issues with it. I've yet to find someone with a 'legitimate' reason for not wanting to install it, typically they simply say I just don't like it.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Legitimate is a funny word and biased as one can be. If I do not like apples but you do, does that mean I do not have a legitimate reason for not liking them?

You kids grew up in an internet society where NOTHING you own belongs to you, everything is online or in the cloud or "being held" by someone else for you... as if by magic.

Some of us around the half a century mark prefer to physically own/have something we pay for and not have to interact with a third party just to enjoy said product. The excuse that you might loose a physical copy or some such falls on deaf hears to me as I still have every game I have ever purchased, from the 80's until my most recent purchase, receipt, box, manual included (if there was one). I enjoy my games closest almost as much as I enjoy my Library, (over 3000 books and growing, read everyone of them).

When I purchase a computer game that is NOT a MMO, I do not want to HAVE to be at the whim of a third party website or the possibility my net connection is down and not be able to play the game I purchased. If someone cannot understand that CONCEPT then no amount of typing will ever make them understand.

Simple Consumer 101 really.

Are I and people like me Dinosaurs, probably, but at least we practice what we preach and stick by our values, right or wrong in your view.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Legend
General

Post by Legend »

Just to clarify... our Steam setup has it that you only have to download the game through Steam. And, update it if you wish. You can play without an Internet connection and play offline.
- Daxon
jonsteen
Corporal

Post by jonsteen »

Any news on this? I would like to purchase the game, but I won't buy it unless there is a non steam version.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Not at this time, but we continue to look at this along with our work for localization and Mac support.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”