What Happend to GALAXY RULER

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Ashbery76
Major

Post by Ashbery76 »

There used to be a link on battlegoat to a space based game, is it still planned as i think with the depth shown in supreme ruler it would be great.
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

Actually it's "Galactic Ruler". It is still in the schedule as the possible third title we'll release. (The 2nd title will in all likelihood be a WWII Version of Supreme Ruler.)

Not that there is much information on the site, but Galactic Ruler does have its own web site (www.galacticruler.com).
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

It would be very cool if Galactic ruler was an extension of Supreme ruler .

By this I mean the condition of the world when you win supreme would be the starting condition of a world in galactic .

Kinda, a first the world ,then the universe thing.
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it :wink:
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Hey, I started planning Galactic Ruler in 1985, I'm sure another decade or so won't hurt :smile:

-- George.
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

How much of "Galactic Ruler" has been decided on? I mean, do you just want to make a space game, or do you already have a very good idea how you want the game?

Hopefully it will be different from most of 'conquer the galaxy' games. I'm not saying I don't have a lot of fun playing MOO2, ST: TNG: BOTF, or Star Wars: Rebelion, I'm just saying those games are missing a lot. Maybe I'll post some of my ideas.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Well, Galactic Ruler is pretty far from the top of my mind right at the moment, what with the new Beta and all :smile:

The original design had a lot of concepts that I still think have not been done by other games; I had originally envisioned something on a more strategic scale than what we have done with SR2010, tough to say if there is an audience for that or not.

In any case, Galactic Ruler is going to stay a 'possible future project' for at least the forseeable future...
keep those ideas tucked away in a safe place :smile:

-- George.
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

" tough to say if there is an audience for that or not"

What you say? :wink:
Unless Im wrong there currently is no big space strategy title out or planned.
Moo3 failed miserably and Galactiv Civ is exactly what it sounds like: the same old civilization story in space...boring.
Space Empires 4 may still be good but the game itself as well as come concepts are very old now.

I think there is an audience for "Galactic Ruler".
In fact I personally would like to see "Galactic Ruler" instead of "Supreme Commander 1936",In my opinion WW2 is plain and simply overdone in both films and games.
I suppose that also other gamers simply have "been there and done that".
At least "Hearts of Iron" is doing well,after a couple of patches but still,and there are others of course.

And having followed the forum and having played the closed beta I would also dare to say:
You people at BattleGoat can pull this off!
If you make an epic game about strategy in space then it will rock.
And unlike Moo3 it wouldnt be just a continuation of the series,it would be something new,a new beginning.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Juergen on 2003-12-20 04:54 ]</font>
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

Yeah, to a point WW2 has been over done. But I think a WW2 game based on the SR2010 engine would be good. Also, because it has been done so much, research on it is easy. It won't be that hard and won't take that long (compaired to SR2010). It should give BG studios plenty of time and breathing room to work on a good Sci Fi game.
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

Boy... With the last couple of comments, software development sounds so easy :grin:

There are a couple of reasons that I still think we should do a WWII game before Galactic Ruler:

1) Similar engine so less time in development --- that's our concession to the business of software development :wink:

2) Some of the ideas that did not get incorporated into 2010 will actually have more impact on the world of 1936 and I do want the challenge of working those into a game --- eg. a sophisticated weather model.

3) It's been easy during the current development to think of what we'd change for a WWII version, so we have actually done some coincidental development (although not much). Thinking of what we'd change for a space game, just didn't come to mind very often :smile:

- David
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Even though I love seeing how the SR2010 engine works with the modern world and modern military equipment, I'm also looking forward to how historical situations can be duplicated and "what-if'd". Certain features of our design, in particular the supply model and economics models, will lend a lot to a WWII era that I don't think other games have managed to accomplish.

Regarding Galactic Ruler, there are certainly a lot of design considerations that have to be taken from the ground floor. And there will be a few that have no good solution - as just one example, the annoying "3D-ness" of space. Space should be 3D, but people visualize in 2D. Also the travel model - faster than light travel, wormholes/gates, hyperjumps? Pick any choice and someone will say that you picked wrong...

But thank you for the encouragement - though first we have to see if SR2010 sells, otherwise we may have to get real day jobs :wink:

-- George.
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

Star Wars: Rebelion tried 3D by having a three D grid, however I know when I played I never used it. It was always easier just to tell my ships to attack the other ships, then wait of the outcome. ST: TNG: Birth of the Federation did have 3D combat, but you're control was limited. I think the best, and easiest for players, would be to go with a ST: Armada/Starfleet Command type 2D look. As for the type of Interstellar Drive, I'll make that the next entry on my random thoughts.
Ashbery76
Major

Post by Ashbery76 »

I like the space empires way of starlanes, it makes borders possible and simple enough for the A.I to be effective in border defence..
Stoffern
Sergeant

Post by Stoffern »

I think that if you ask any scientist today he would tell you that the most likely way of interstellar travel to get developed would be some kind of artificial wormhole/instantaneous gate travel. This is the stuff the physicists actually agree on is "possible" as opposed to breaking the light barrier.

Apparently its easier to tear a hole clear across the galaxy than acselerating a ship to super-light speeds...go figure...

*Looks around*

Um...did I just make a coment about the logics of interstellar travel for a game still years away?

Right...

Stoffern
cwmark
Sergeant

Post by cwmark »

Before you run, you've got to learn how to walk first!

Rule the Solar System before ruling the galaxy!

Interplanetary Ruler (otherwise known as IR2210) - a game proposal.

As the demands of a growing population outstrips the Earth's ability to provide sustenance, the predominant power(s) on Earth (as shown in the last save game of SR2010) decide to finally go into space for much needed sources of energy, raw materials, and living space.

Much like exploring the New World, players will send space probes & manned exploration parties to other worlds. These expeditions will generate maps of these 'new' worlds. These new maps will become the basis for recycling the SR2010 engine! Each planetary map could represent a full campaign in SR2010! With added CPU power a Solar System wide simulation can be done!

Exploration and colonization of the rest of the Solar System will be dangerous, expensive, and long term - just like in the old days! The game will have several evolutionary stages: discovery & exploration, resource exploitation & colonization, development & self-sufficiency (a Solar Market is born at this stage), resentment & rebellion, and finally the re-unification (forcibly & otherwise) of mankind followed by FTL travel.

New technologies & techniques will have to be developed to allow viable permanent & long term presence in space and on alien worlds. Each will present unique problems or situations to be solved or worked around. Think Sid Mier's Alpha Centauri! Separate tech trees for pure space colonies, and one for each colonizable planet!

Combat would occur both on the ground (SR2010 style) or in space near important locations: planets, space stations, L5 colonies, etc. Asteroids accelerated to significant light speed velocity would become the new weapons of mass destruction. The other weapons developed and used would depend on which solar physics model you choose.

Pick your brand of solar physics! It could be the establishment/NASA outlook: Newtonian physics for movement, and gravity is the predominant force in space. Quaint chemical/nuclear rockets, Ion thrusters, and stylish Solar sails move ships through the void. O'Neil colonies cluster around the Lagrange Points around each planet.

On the other hand (based off of alternative science on the internet), if you think comets are not dirty snowballs as claimed by NASA, then welcome to the electric solar system! Where comets are electrically charged plasma reactions to the Sun's solar winds of charged particles, that create a system wide version of a bug zapper for incoming extra-solar objects - like comets. This means electromagnetic style shielding on non-metallic space craft so as to survive passge through Earth's Van Allen radiation belts. With EM shielding comes EM style propulsion as space craft navigate the tides, eddys, and currents of electrically charged interplanetary space.

Finally for those who forgo FTL tech and prefer a much more open ended game in the solar system regardless of time length, watch out for Planet X/Niburu! A brown dwarf star/super-jovian with it's own entourage of planets that comes barreling into our Solar System upsetting orbits, pole shifts, super solar z-class flares incinerating space colonies & planets, multiple planetary catastrophes, and finally the displeased Masters of Humanity: the Annunaki!

A life or death struggle commences on a interplanetary scale. The ultra tech Annunaki attempt to resubjugate their numerous genetically engineered slaves who have the temerity to call itself Humanity. If Humanity survives the Annunaki assault and the various interventions of other space faring races of UFO lore, then the starting position of Earthers in Battlegoat's Galactic Ruler will be strengthend greatly.

My two cents.

Return to “Off Topic Comments”