Question about abandoned villages.

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Jakt80
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Question about abandoned villages.

Post by Jakt80 »

Hey, I have a question about abandoned villages. I tried out Japan and Iwo Jima has a few abandoned villages, where the center one has supply, the other two doesn't. No worries, i can get supply as long as i can build. The question is located north east of Iwo Jima where there are two islands in the same region, both has abandoned villages, close enough to build a bridge between them. I did this, and by having engineers there the bridge finished. But I couldn't build any facilities there, as neither village had any supply. Both had about 270 inhabitants each, and the population grew very slowly, so my question is, will these two villages ever reach (non-abandoned) village status so there is a bit of supply? Or will they occationally generate a trickle of supply for a short period of time, giving you a chance to set down a facility so you can get it built, generating more supply letting you populate an area? I was hoping to fortify a string of islands along the pacific, but it seems like that's not going to happen. Or is there some other way to get supply onto an island (I tried dumping 7 supply trucks on the island aswell, but that didn't work, and now they're stuck there as they aren't amphibious amd i have no pier, airport, airbase or port in the island region.
number47
General

Re: Question about abandoned villages.

Post by number47 »

Build a sea port (or pier) in one village (by using engineers) and it will start producing some supply. If you are not satisfied with the amount of supply, you can build additional supply depots in that village where you built the pier/port and the supply level will rise.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Jakt80
Lieutenant

Post by Jakt80 »

I tried this with the engineers that got the bridge built. The game wont let me place a pier on these villages. I tried with both motorized engineers and the japanese koheitai engineers, I'm simply not allowed to place a pier on these abandoned villages even with engineers on the hex. Is there some other way of having the engineers construct it? I just clicked the constrction button in the military tab when having pier selected. (This works when there is supply in the hex, just wondering if tere is some secret way of having engineers construct stuff when there is no supply).
barkhauer
Colonel

Post by barkhauer »

Can I have a hex location so I can look at the exact spot in game, please?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

What is the actual population of the hex?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Balthagor wrote:What is the actual population of the hex?
Jakt80 wrote:Both had about 270 inhabitants each...
Jakt80
Lieutenant

Post by Jakt80 »

X:1693, Y:280 and X:1693, Y:282. 264 population on both. But even if i get more population on them they dont seem to get any supply. Altho I may not have gotten enough population?
Jakt80
Lieutenant

Post by Jakt80 »

Shouldn't it be possible to lay down a military complex on an island even if there is no supply (using engineers)? Like how the japanese build airstrips on islands all over the pacific, and the americans possibly did too? (if they didn't, I'm sure they could've and done even better than the japanese =P) I mean the military even built a nuclear reactor under the Greenland ice sheet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Iceworm The project was cancelled, but the nuclear reactor was installed).
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Jakt80 wrote:Shouldn't it be possible to lay down a military complex on an island even if there is no supply (using engineers)? Like how the japanese build airstrips on islands all over the pacific, and the americans possibly did too? (if they didn't, I'm sure they could've and done even better than the japanese =P) I mean the military even built a nuclear reactor under the Greenland ice sheet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Iceworm The project was cancelled, but the nuclear reactor was installed).
This should already work, so long as there is an empty hex.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Jakt80
Lieutenant

Post by Jakt80 »

Balthagor wrote:
Jakt80 wrote:Shouldn't it be possible to lay down a military complex on an island even if there is no supply (using engineers)? Like how the japanese build airstrips on islands all over the pacific, and the americans possibly did too? (if they didn't, I'm sure they could've and done even better than the japanese =P) I mean the military even built a nuclear reactor under the Greenland ice sheet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Iceworm The project was cancelled, but the nuclear reactor was installed).
This should already work, so long as there is an empty hex.
Yes it does, my bad ;)
Jakt80
Lieutenant

Post by Jakt80 »

Still unable to place a pier on these two islands (X:1693, Y:280 and X:1693, Y: 282), aswell as the two islands north (X: 1689, Y: 289) and south (X: 1691, Y: 294) of iwo jima (altho is is possible to build rail between iwo jima (X: 1690, Y: 292) and the iwo islands so supply can be gotten that way, because iwo jima has an airfield and thus, supply.). As far as I can tell abandoned villages dont generate supply and you cant build military complex on them, therefore you can't build on them at all, engineer or not (have tried with japanese koheitai, german pioniere and motorised aswell as normal engineers.) IMO, you should be able to build on them with engineers if nothing else.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Engineers only let you build military or industrial complexes. You are saying tried building one of those complexes on one of those hexes?

Can anyone confirm that it's not working?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Jakt80
Lieutenant

Post by Jakt80 »

Tried building anything that would give supply, port, pier, airfield and base, supply depot, nothing works, unable to get supply to these villages, and thus can't build there. Didn't try to build industrial complex, but since i cant build military complex, I doubt industrial will work. (trying to fortify these islands so industrial complex wouldn't get me what I want anyways)

Edit: I presume I can't build complexes there as there is already abandoned villages on these 1 hex islands, but since they have 0 supply I can't build on them, and since I can't build on them, I cant get supply. Prime example of a catch 22.

Edit 2: Building military complexes on empty islands using engineers works, checked that aswell when I did this bug control.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

For some reason, you can't build anything on the two islands north of Iwo Jima. I've tried everything.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Aragos wrote:For some reason, you can't build anything on the two islands north of Iwo Jima. I've tried everything.
The reason is 0% supply level in those settlements. The same issue can occure on oil platforms.

Maybe BG should hardcode a min 1% supply generation in settlements (and oil platforms) no matter the amount of population present OR allow engineers to build anything in 0% supply area...

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”