One sided war........

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

One sided war........

Post by tkobo »

This is a pretty big one.....

Its possible to end up with a colony you own,not at war with a region that is at war with it.......

Heres how i came across this
Playing as britain,have been colonizing every white or red star region NOT allied with russia,as well as any region who fought in a proxy against me.Oddly enough,france who was an ally,ended up in a proxy war agaisnt me,for a region in africa.Now france was allied with america,who i wanted to stay on the good side of,so i declared war on one of their african colonies,and france declared war on me.

America ,had declared war on iraq (1rst iraq war),even though iraq was at this time in game a colony of mine (britain).This resulted in of course US being at war with ,and having iraq as an enemy, and iraq being at war with and having US as an enemy.I didnt dow the US.

Now,after france dowed me,many european regions ended up fighting in france some for me, some for france,some for both,depending on the border they entered the war zone on......

One of the regions who fought a proxy war on frances side,in france,was belgium.So after france fell,i invaded belguim.Belguim was of course an ally of the us,BUT i had done so much diplo trade,that the us bars were all green despite now having a fully red belli and probability bar towards me.At this point ,the US broke all ties,but did NOT declare war on me.

This meant the US was at war with iraq,my colony,had 2 red bars for war against me,but had gov and civ bars fully green in my favor.So i offered a full alliance and all the other treaties to them,which they took gladly, as they had full gov and civ bars (all green) towards me.This made my ally iraq,drop its end of the war on the US,but the US did not stop its war in iraq.

the end resut is, the us is at war with iraq,but iraq is NOT at war with the US.The US has launched a huge invasion of iraq,and has tons of ground units now fighting in iraq,killing iraq units,but the iraq units cant fight back,as they are NOT at war with the US,and the us has full treaties with me (britain).The US also cannot take ground in iraq.

So to sum up, its possible to have a war in which only one side is at war with the other,and only one side can attack the other,and no land can change hands .

Good luck trying to fix this,i wouldnt even have bothered to mention it,except that its a pretty big bug......ON the positive side, i doubt many will even find this bug.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: One sided war........

Post by Balthagor »

Sounds plausible as a bug. Do you have a savegame from before you offered peace?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I just did a MP test as Canada and US. Canada DoW on US and two US colonies. I had US send Canada an offer for peace. When Canada accepted it, they got peace with the colonies as well. I'll need your savegame to investigate this further.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Just to throw this in there, it may or may not be related BUT... Cease Fires have always caused a similar issue in SRCW which is why i don't use them in mods. lol
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

yup, if you cancel your ceasefire, it may not cancel for the counterpart
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Actually, rereading some of Tkobo's post, it appears he got out of the war by making an alliance with the enemy of his colony. That seems to be what caused this oddity. But really, AI's should never accept to ally to the parent of a colony with whom they are at war. That's what the bug really is if I've understood Tkobo properly.

[Edit] Really, if this was possible, Iraq should immediately have broken away from the parent region for making an alliance with its enemy. And I would bet that parent region's opinion of the US was inconsistent with the player choice to offer an alliance. I'd be curious of the parent regions Civilian Rating towards the US at the time of the alliance. There should likely be civil unrest there also.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

I would think,the first place to start would be to not allow an AI to declare war on a colony of an ally they were in good standing with....

And since this case is likely an event,based on the year it occurred and the regions it occurred with,it would probably be a good idea to put some dis-qualifiers for when this event can fire....So that the AI US will not have this event fire IF iraq is someones colony.
Chuckle TM
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Sounds great, but the Cold War events system does not support conditions. That has already been suggested as an area for further development.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Isnt there a 'wont fire if region is dead" condition ?
Chuckle TM
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

sorry, that is true, there a few "hard" conditions available such as if/not human, if/not at war, if/not dead but that's about it. It isn't able to check data such as relations to target, relations to third party, existing agreements, etc.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

tkobo wrote:Isnt there a 'wont fire if region is dead" condition ?
Technically thats true of any event not marked with the "fire even if dead" tag. But in your particular instance since you colonized Iraq they aren't dead. When someone colonizes/liberates etc.. a country as far as the engine is concerned its still the same country it was prior to that happening since it only looks at region ID#.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Fistalis wrote:But in your particular instance since you colonized Iraq they aren't dead.
Which matters not, as the "if dead" condition isnt being asked to be applied here,another condition that looks at "relations to target" is whats being suggested....The "if dead" condition is simply mentioned to point out the events system does support conditions.

tkobo wrote: it would probably be a good idea to put some dis-qualifiers for when this event can fire
Balthagor wrote: but the Cold War events system does not support conditions.
tkobo wrote: Isnt there a 'wont fire if region is dead" condition ?
Balthagor wrote: there a few "hard" conditions available such as
Balthagor wrote: It isn't able to check data such as relations to target, relations to third party, existing agreements, etc.
This last bit,is what it needs to do thru a new condition.
Chuckle TM

Return to “Issues & Support”